“Good, Basic Base for Your London Vacation”

Days Inn London Hyde Park
Ranked #408 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Hickory Creek, Texas
“Good, Basic Base for Your London Vacation”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The big advantage to this hotel is the location. It's a block and half from Paddington station, making travel around the city easy. It's also within walking distance of Hyde Park, which is a lovely place to waste an afternoon. The rooms are basic, but clean. The walls seemed thin, but nothing too horrible. You could tell that the furnishings and bedding were older, and could have been updated. Our room had a double bed, and three twins, two of which were pushed together to look like a king, but the mattresses were different. But again, it was perfectly clean and tidy. Just very basic.

Do note that there is NOT air conditioning, but the windows open allowing fresh air to come in. Just remember that it does up the noise level as most other guests will do the same.

The staff was very nice and helpful as well.

My biggest complaint here is the internet access. I believe that if you advertise that there is free wifi in the rooms, there should be free wifi in every room. Our room only had access if you stood right at the door. Others complained about this as well, and some guest who arrived shortly before we did actually had to change rooms to get access. It was clearly an issue as the bar was always packed with people trying to get online -- not with those trying to buy a drink.

Breakfast is very basic, but it worked. I'm used to an American continental breakfast, so perhaps my expectations were out of line. The ladies who worked the breakfast area were very nice as well.

Overall it's a good choice if you can get it for a good price. We used credit card points, but I have seen it listed for upwards of 140 GBP, and I don't think I'd be willing to pay that for this particular hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you can get wifi in your room. If you have to go through a courtyard to get to the room, o...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amanda0620

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Arwanzey
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Very good location, near to the tube. Good breakfast. Clean room, Shower works very well. Perhaps the bed was pretty small for two people. In conclusion,
I would repeat the same hotel if I went back London.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Christos P, General Manager at Days Inn London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Pilar Amela l

I thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to Days inn Hyde Park.

I am pleased to hear that you found our location convenient for your needs, we are located in Central London, based just 3 minutes walk from Paddington Station which connects to Heathrow.

Our rooms are the standard size for Central London. We do pride ourselves on our cleanliness and our housekeeping team maintain a high standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best regards

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Sorry to say but this was pretty poor. Stayed in with work so they went for cheap (and it was to be fair) but my room was very small, the carpet was stained with an iron mark on, the bathroom was a little unclean and the pillows were very thin and old. As said elsewhere the rooms were noisy, I could hear the snoring from another room! Once in bed (with the TV 2 feet from the end of the bed) I realised that the bed was broken and that the bed sloped (the divan had collapsed). The hotel was full and so I had to sleep like this with my head at the opposite end to avoid the sinking feeling. The breakfast was continental and pretty basic, having said that all the guests from abroad seemed to think it OK. Not keen on shop bought, cheap croissants and hard boiled eggs for breakfast! Another thing I noticed was that anyone with mobility issues might really struggle here. There were quite a few stairs to rooms and also to the breakfast room. The hotel is on a pretty busy road and in the summer might be noisy with the windows open. On the plus side very close to the tube/train and plenty of shops and eating places close.

Room Tip: Avoid the front of the hotel because they might be noisy and not good for asthmatics.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Debbie R
Dear Debbie

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, regarding your recent stay.

I was disappointed to learn that overall, your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Please allow me first and foremost to offer my apologies for any inconvenience caused. We take great pride in offering our guests the highest levels of service and product and I am sorry we failed to meet all of your expectations on this occasion.

We are in the process of replacing several of our carpets and I do apologise that the carpet in the room you stayed in was not up to standard. We apologise that the divan was not sturdy in the room you stayed in we were not aware of this and have since replaced the divan. We have already replaced several pillows and we do have softer pillows in room cupboards and available on request. We do take great pride in our cleanliness and I am surprised and shocked to hear that your bathroom was anything but spotless, we thoroughly inspect every room before checking guests into them.

The Continental Buffet Breakfast serves a variety of items such as: cheeses, hams, yogurts, salami, olives, biscuits, croissants, pain au chocolate, white and brown bread, a variety of cereals, milk, and a choice of teas and coffees.

The hotel is an historically listed building and unfortunately we are limited in the changes which we are allowed to make to the building in order for it to become more accessible for people with mobility issues.

Please accept my sincere apologies once again for any inconvenience caused.I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Days Inn Hyde Park and be able to restore your faith in our hotel.

Oxford
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Good location, pleasant lobby staff. Small basic room with shower that could only supply very hot or cold water. Room created out of larger area so sounds from two other rooms could be clearly heard.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Peter H
Dear Peter H

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay.

Whilst I was pleased to read that you found the service at our hotel to be pleasant and that the location was convenient for your needs. I was disappointed to learn that overall, your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I am deeply sorry that this is the case, and would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Our rooms are the standard size for hotels in Central London. I am surprised to hear that the shower in the room you stayed in could only supply very hot or cold water and that noise could be so easily heard, we do have quieter rooms at the back of the hotel which are available on request.

Thank you once again for your time. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Days Inn Hyde Park in the future.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Recently stayed here for 6 nights during the Irish dance world competition. Hotel staff were friendly, helpful, courteous, and kind. Have family living in London and was warned hotels in London are small so we were not surprised by our cozy room. We had a tidy room on the lower level right near breakfast. Breakfast was GIANT slices of toasted bread, croissants, cheeses, fruit, cereals, and hardboiled eggs - what you'd eat at home. Beds, pillows, and bedding were comfy. Water was immediately hot and the showerhead had great pressure! The location of this hotel cannot be beat. It was a short walk to Paddington, tube stations, Hyde Park, shopping, and a 3 minute walk from the Hop on/Hop off bus. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sloopie44
Pontyclun
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Booked a single room for one night with breakfast, Hotel was clean, with modern well maintained interior. Bedroom was small but adequate, equipped with TV plus tea/coffee making facilities. en suite toilet/shower was again well maintained, clean and modern. shower provided more than adequate water pressure/heat. several towels provided. Breakfast was continental self service
Staff on reception desk and restaurant were friendly and helpful. Great location if travelling from/to Paddington railway station.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Soignies
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed in a family room, Size of room and beds very acceptable. However the bathroom was ridiculously small. Location wonderful, close to Paddington Station, bus stops, shops and restaurants and of course the lovely Hyde park. great for a short stay, we would definitely go again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Celeste66

I am pleased to read that you found the location of the hotel convenient for your needs, we are located in Central London and based just three minutes walk from Paddington Station.

Thank you once again for your time and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.