“Awful, avoid”
Review of Gentlemen's Tonic

Gentlemen's Tonic
Ranked #50 of 586 Spas & Wellness in London
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Went there for a haircut and shave, explained I wanted my hair to grow longer and explained that in April I'll get married and wanted more or less the same length by that time back.

Got a massive haircut, I was like 5/10cm, on the side and in the back I am like 1cm now.

No head massage, no particular care when washing my hair either.

Any other hairdresser in London, any cheap or expensive would check the temperature of the water, would say something, not this one, nothing.

No wet shave at all, just some razor trimming and then with blades on try skin.
Got a minor cut under my nose, the employee was pretty brutal with the electric razor, went in my nose (painfully) a few times. Didn't even bother putting some lotion or after shave after.

Didn't put any lotion/wax whatever on my head either.

Went home I found that I also had a line of hair still in my chin, which I had to shave myself.

Today, after a shower I noticed longer hair (5/6mm) where the beard is 2/3mm, left there.

If it was only sunnier today I'd probably notice more failures over my head.

I feel like a toilet cleaner shaved my face and cut my hair. I should have asked for my money back at the exit, seventy two pounds and it will take me at least 6 months to get my hair back as they were.

Good reviews here, so maybe was only my specific hairdresser was a bad one, so there you go her name is something like Ines, Peruvian.

I would anyway just in case avoid this overpriced place, I usually go for hairdressing at Clapham Gro, for 35£ they treat me like a king and I never been dissatisfied, not to mention the barber on the high street which for 10/15£ shaves me perfectly with care and precision.

Lucy B, Manager at Gentlemen's Tonic, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Sir,

It is with great concern and regret we noted your review outlining the problems you experienced with our service and treatments carried out within our Mayfair establishment.

First and foremost, on behalf of Gentlemen’s Tonic, I would like to personally apologise for the delay in responding and for any inconvenience caused.

We accept full responsibility for the issues raised and I wish to assure you we are taking the necessary steps to prevent it from happening in the future.
Thank you for bringing these to our attention.

We value our customers immensely and therefore hope, that you will give us the opportunity to rectify the problems raised.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Once again, please do accept our sincere apologies.

We look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Kind regards

Lucy Bonici
European Group Manager

Gentlemen’s Tonic

There are newer reviews for Gentlemen's Tonic

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I discovered them in Selfridges and then I moved to the better location behind the Berkeley square, in Bruton, a small hidden street. I go there once a month and it’s my little private happiness place. Ask for a Bloody Mary as soon as you arrive and the have a wet shave in a private booth watching or listening, as I close my eyes, to sports. Every time it’s done by a different barber guy who has an amazing story to say. One he escaped long time ago from Syria, the next one was from Cuba and his family is still there, the last one was from Algeria. All real old fashion barbers. Finish with a hand manicure, the lady gives brilliant advices.

3  Thank Valentin M
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I went here upon recommendation by a friend. I booked my treatments online, but they had only got 1 of them registered so will advise you to probably phone to ensure they got all your treatments booked. Nevertheless, they saw the error on the day when I showed up and quickly readjusted things to ensure I got all my treatments with a little wait as possible -- which actually turned into no wait at all.

I had the Deep Tissue massage with Maria - she was EXTREMELY GOOD! I have had several around London and also outside of London and this was definitely the best. She also did my Detox Facial which also surprisingly came with a hand massage which filled the time during which the warm towel was placed on your face to soften your skin and open your pores.

I also did the Bespoke Hand and Bespoke Foot Treatments, but with another therapist. These were enjoyable, and I almost fell asleep while receiving them. But I was hoping it included a good massage or even the soaking-in-a-bag-of-hot-wax thing.

My only disappointment is that the treatments on their website aren't described in detail so you may need to call or query what exactly is involved -- and I understand they probably didn't want to load their website with too much information to read.

But nevertheless, bottomline is, everything that I booked was done EXTREMELY WELL and I left feeling great.

They provide a very friendly, professional and expert service (just like Mathew said) and provide an enviroment tailored to men.

Well worth the price, at least for the after-feeling! I will be going back to try even more treatments, like the wet shave etc.

5  Thank James D
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I go along to GT at Mayfair every 6 weeks for eyebrow threading - tucked away down a tranquil mews, it is well worth a visit - ask for Imad - professional, friendly and expert in the field. I always leave feeling refreshed having already booked in my next visit.

4  Thank MathewLondon