“Richard Ward......better service in an NHS hospital ward.”

Richard Ward Hair and Metrospa
Ranked #25 of 632 Spas & Wellness in London
More attraction details
Owner description: The SALON Richard’s uber-cool award-winning Sloane Square salon plays host to a team of over 90 expert staff, looking after the hair and beauty needs of over 1,200 clients per week. Past winner of Hair Magazine’s London Salon of the Year, the salon has been described as ‘leisurely and luxurious yet unpretentious’ and is home to over 170 innovative hair and beauty treatments; Metrospa, the salon’s unique brand of city day spa, is a state-of-the-art pampering zone featuring expert therapists and our exclusive CARITA range. Richard’s unique team has been dubbed by Vogue Magazine as ‘obsessional about that elusive personal touch’ in his ‘spectacularly sunny, cleverly sectioned space’, likening the salon’s floor manager Gavin to a maitre’d at The Ivy. Italian Vanity Fair describes Richard Ward Hair & Metrospa one of the most ‘ultra-glamour salons’ not only in Europe but world-wide.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Wishing to help my partner find that perfect (But still illusive) hair stylist in London, we decided on Richard Ward self proclaimed stylist to the stars (Well the Middleton's anyway). The 15 minute consultation went well, (A semi permanent being decided upon with Mario the senior stylist). 2 weeks later the £270 plus all the refreshments you could be charged for (With no warning about cost) colouring and cut was done. Satisfied, we left, the whole bill including a £50 tip coming to £340. Then the fun started..... 3 weeks after the cut "greys" began to appear, then even more greys.... it became apparent that rather than the usual 6 plus weeks that this overpriced abortion of a colouring and cut was failing, and failing badly after 3 weeks.
My partner politely emailed Richard Ward explaining the situation, and her disappointment with the colouring, and indeed the waste of her time, not to mention the cost. (A waste of money!)

The reply came by phone, from Mario the senior stylist, it ran along the lines of well you had a consultation & you decided on a "semi-permanent" , and this has never happened to anyone else... Well now that just makes it all fine and dandy doesn't it.....! Defensive and unhelpful would be the politest summary of Richard Ward's response. The upshot of it all, come in and we will have a look at it... no offer to redress the balance by recolouring, no offer to redress the balance at all... rather more "you took our advice to have a semi permanent, so its your fault"!

In conclusion, and I was at the salon the day this was done, Richard Ward trade on faded glory, their beverages appear to be offered freely, but are then billed at a hideous price...(Salon manager Gavin take note... it is not standard practise to charge for beverages in most quality salons, in fact the only one I have EVER seen charge is this "salon")

In conclusion my partner had colour (Black) left on her blouse... the semi-permanent lasted less than 3 weeks, and they went immediately on the defensive when this was pointed out. They talk the talk...

Sadly we are not famous enough to merit the Richard Ward private patient treatment....

9  Thank John G
Gavin H, Manager at Richard Ward Hair and Metrospa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear John G,

I am so sorry that you have have been left with such a negative experience after your visit to the salon, in your review you have bought up a number of points that I will try to address and at least offer some form of explanation.

It is always difficult when a client is looking for a new salon to patronage as they can often come with a pre- conceived expectation based on other salon experiences, however, it is our job to aim, meet, manage and where possible exceed these expectations, in this instance this has obviously not happened for which I am sorry.

Any client to the salon will always be given a very thorough consultation, for us it is key for all client satisfaction and retention. Mario who runs the department as Technical Director would have as standard practice, explained the colour options available to meet the client brief, this would have been based on what information the client had offered, the desired outcome and the ongoing treatment plan. There would also have been a discussion on the different products on offer such as Organic colour, vegetable colour, semi permanent or permanent colour, the client and technician would have discussed options for a good result on the day and in going forward. Any colour work carried out at the time would have been done in agreement and with the sole intention of an building an ongoing relationship between the client and operator.

I am sorry that you feel that you were mislead regarding the refreshments at the salon this is not our intention, menus are clearly marked and displayed on every section throughout the salon and also in our bar waiting area. The catering at the salon is run and managed by independent team of caterers which is commonly the norm in central London salons, leaving us time to concentrate on the business of doing great hair.

For Richard or any stylist or technician it is very difficult to pass comment on a result over the telephone or via email when you cannot see what a client is describing. If a client is unhappy with a result after they have left It would be standard practice for any salon to ask a client to return whether that be cut or colour. When a complaint does come through it would also be standard practice in the first instance to get the stylist or technician who did the service to speak with the client and this procedure was followed directly.

Having spoken to Mario, he apologies if he came across as defensive over the telephone when speaking with your wife but believed that he would have been very clear about the colour result expected not lasting as long as a permanent colour would have done, rather than placing fault his intention was only to reiterate what would have been discussed in the initial consultation.

I would like to apologise for the colour that has transferred to your wife's blouse, this is not acceptable and had I been made aware I could have sent it to our specialist dry cleaners to get the colour removed. We do usually recommend all light coloured top clothing is removed prior to any technical services carried out in the salon.

Lastly I would just like to reassure you that at Richard Ward our success is based on valuing all of our clients equally, with famous or not our aim is quite simply to strive to exceed all client expectation, I can only once again apologise that this was not your experience on this occasion.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I have been going to Richard Ward for years and I would not wish to go anywhere else. I cannot praise the salon enough. I always feel warmly welcomed and receive excellent service. All the staff at Richard Ward are fantastic from the man who takes my coat front of house to the juniors who wash my hair. However I would like particularly like to mention Hussein (fantastic stylist), Maria, Sarah and Mario (colourists), the lovely Kieran (recently qualified colourist), Louise (who is front of house), and Mary in the Metrospa. Thankyou :)

1  Thank BarefootTiger
Gavin H, Manager at Richard Ward Hair and Metrospa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Diana S,

I would just like to pass on my thanks for letting us know that you are being so well looked after by our team at the salon.

Richard, Hellen and I really value any feed back but particularly from our long standing clients who are in the position to tell us how we are doing and if we are getting it right consistently on every visit.

It is particularly lovely of you to mention Lou and your warm welcome when you arrive, for me our reception team are our unsung heroes in the salon, they work so hard for our clients and the hairdressing and beauty teams yet often get over looked and not praised enough. I will be sure to make sure they see this review.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I recently visited Richard Ward Hair and Metrospa and it was quite simply a wonderful experience. The Reception staff, the lady who took my coat and scarf , Richard and Stefan were so welcoming. The whole experience was very stylish and well run. Richard managed to tame my wild hair into a gorgeous, glossy style and I left the salon feeling like a princess. I have been complemented so many times this week on the cut and shape, a real boost and just what I needed. Thank you.

Gavin H, Manager at Richard Ward Hair and Metrospa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Shazza144,

Thank you for letting us know about the experience with us at the salon. All feed back is key to us keeping our customer service consistent across the whole team and only shows the role we all play, each can contribute to making your visit a memorable one.

Richard's haircuts have had him nicknamed "Golden Scissors" in the past so I am not surprised he has managed to tame your hair, I am pleased he has given you a shape and style that you are so very obviously delighted with.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us, it is greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you into the salon in the near future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have been visiting Richard Ward Hair and Metrospa since 2004 and in that time I have been able to have the same excellent colourist and stylist on every visit. The atmosphere is relaxed but the salon is stylish and busy. You get a warm welcome every time from the reception team and the cafe staff. Adam is the Premier Technician who does my colour and he always has lots of good advice and ideas - plus I always get lots of compliments about the colour and requests to know where I get my hair gone. Ashleigh cuts my hair and is always quick but thorough and the blow dry finish lasts for days. I can't recommend coming here highly enough, it's a real treat and worth every penny!

Gavin H, Manager at Richard Ward Hair and Metrospa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Teddy T,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a great review, I appreciate both good and bad but the best feed back is always when I hear we are consistently getting it right for you.

It is all to easy with new clients to offer the moon and the stars but we really do work hard with our team to try and deliver a level of technical ability and service for all clients on each and every visit.

Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you into the salon for many years to come.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Richard Ward is quite simply the best.

I have been going to Richard for over two years. Coming from New York, I have always been fussy about my hair, and have always gone to top salons. Let me just say that Richard has given me the best hair cuts I have ever had in my entire life (and I have had some fabulous hair cuts in the past!)

Let me also say that I live four hours away in the southwest, and I still come all the way to London every three months just to see Richard. Last month I took an eight hour round trip train just for the hour and a half I spent at the salon! As always, it was extremely well worth it!

Richard is so personable, lovely, professional and a master at his art!!! At this point, I wouldn't trust anyone else with my hair!!!!

P.S. Please ignore any of the negative comments below about the salon- the writers obviously have misconceptions of what an experience at a top salon should be.

1  Thank NYCGirl1984
Gavin H, Manager at Richard Ward Hair and Metrospa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know we are getting it right NYCGirl1984.
As a team we are ever only as good we make our clients feel so it's wonderful that you make such a long trip to come and see us, it speaks volumes.
We look forward to seeing you back on your next visit and thank you for your ongoing loyalty and support.
Regards,