“The best hotel i have ever been to”

Grange St. Paul's Hotel
Ranked #330 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Newly built hotel. Made of glass, Amazing location, St pauls cathedral on left and London bridge on right. nice, clean and huge rooms, good quality bath amenities, Polite staff, fantastic Spa, staff made me feel special, amazing view from my room, world class health club. Met English cricket team there. Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Varunkapoor

Reviewed 17 March 2011

On the plus side, the rooms were lovely it was my mothers 50th birthday so I emailed the manager and asked for a room with a view, they had a lovely big room with a fantastic view of St Pauls, so def ask if you can do that, think it was 301. I stayed in a twin with two doubles, you could certainly get four of you in if you had kids but may be a bit cramped if you brought lots of stuff.

The location is great near to the tube on a good bus line or close enough to walk most places that are central if your not in a rush and want to be able to see a bit more which we did.

This hotel is on the last minute deals as one of there secret hotels but i got a better price booking through the hotel website, so I would recommend you try both.

The bad

The rooms were very warm you could only turn down the air conditioning by 3 degrees, which was fine to sleep in, but when i was blow drying my hair in the morning though I would suffocate if I didnt get out quickly enough, all members of my family commented on this. Our shower also leaked when it was used all over the bathroom floor, called down but no one ever fixed it. Another small thing, someone had set the alarm clock at 5.30 so got horribly woken up on the first morning, probably the previous guest but still annoying. Also we could here a lot of noise in the hall anytime someone walked past.

The staff were hit and miss some were very friendly others bordering on rude, the blond receptionist in particular when i tried to book for another night.

The biggest shambles was the breakfast, it was okay on the first morning , although they bring tea round in a large jug, this is england and a five star hotel can you not provide a pot for each table??? It was vile, thankfully there were tea facilities in the room but I do enjoy a cup of tea with my breakfast, coffee wasnt much better only filter, caps and lattes extra. The continental breakfast was fine if you got it included in the room but how they justify £23 for some fruit and cereal ill never know.

The second day, was the worst a sunday, nowhere near enough staff, no hot drinks brought, everything had run out, guests were being shown to dirty tables and i didnt see one table get cleared it was an absolute joke, surely they could have found a few extra people in the hotel somewhere to clear some tables. We tried to complain to the manager but again he was no where to be found and no one seemed interested in doing anything about it when we complained. clearly they know thats what happens on sundays, could they not hire a few extra staff for that day alone rather than let the guests suffer.
The third days breakfast was by far the best, the hot breakfast was included during weekdays, i feel its unfair not to have it at the weekend. wonderful poached eggs, so fresh i felt they had just been laid.

All in all I wold stay again but only at the right price, £120 max, watch out for the vat which is on top of everything, that bumps things up a bit. I would never pay full price as it just doesn't come up to scratch, they may have the facilities of a 5 star hotel but they have a long way to go to get to the level of service. if you came during the week and paid less than £100 a night your laughing for the great location and a nice room.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Partygirl1984
Reviewed 16 March 2011

You could say I’m a regular stayed at this 5 star hotel around 7 times.
It has a Jazz hip-hop night club on the basement, a fabulous Spa and pool and I’m a choosey one.
Every time I stay I get a lovely room and the bar staff, room service are all very friendly.
I did ask for a quiet room and was given a room interconnecting to two laughing out loud females, I was moved to number 527 facing the front of the hotel looking towards the spectacular view of St Paul’s cathedral.
Though on Friday and Saturday night I could hear a car blasting its horn profusely especially on the Friday night or should I say the early hours off Saturday morning around 4am and it went on and on. I was too tired to look out through the large paned glass window; if they opened I think the man would have got lobbied with some heavy item.
Why did the staff allow this to happen on both nights? Security?
Anyway it’s a fabulous hotel and the car horn is in no way the hotels fault.
I would say that at £23 for a cooked breakfast it’s far too expensive, don’t you get the message? I have stayed there around 7 times and I refuse blankly to pay £23 for a breakfast, Please Mr. Manager, Mr. Owner please lower the breakfast to £15-£18.
I’d pay that every time …
Adam your best regular.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Great hotel in a really good spot, stopped in many london hotels but my wife & I loved being next to St Pauls. Good restaurants & bars close by. It was a bit of a bun fight on a sunday morning between 9 & 10 for breakfast but that is fairly normal in my experience. 5 star hotel, maybe 3or4 Star service, but I would'nt let that put anybody off.
On the last minute.com front, remember that is room only & as a full paying guest booking direct with the hotel we were upgraded FOC, lovely room. Spa really nice too. This is not the Ritz or the Savoy but a really nice modern 5 Star hotel. We will deffinatley return. Anybody using any Mini bar anywher must be made. Simple. use the M & S food court in front of St.Pauls or the Tesco express opposite the tube station or the Sainsburys inbetween. Plenty of choise. P.S Cafe Rouge next door is very nice stop. If you want 5Star service you've got to pay alot more than here to be fair. £100+VAT on a friday night is not alot compared to others. Horses for courses. Big thumbs up from me.

Reviewed 13 March 2011

We stayed on a Sunday night and were worried it would be empty as this side of town is quiet on a Sunday night, we had a fabulous stay, everyone was so helpful and friendly the room was spotless, modern, big and the bed seriously comfy! The blackout curtains certainly blacked out! The only petty problem was the aircon was a bit rattly but it was winter so it didn't matter to us. We went shopping the next day, Oxford street is just a couple of stops on the central line and the hotel is just a hop skip and a jump to the tube. The hotel let us leave our bags free of charge the next day which was helpful. The bar was still open when we arrived late from dinner so managed to have a few cheeky apple martinis before bed which were delicious! Will without a doubt stay there again soon as it was such good value for money, clean, in a fantastic location and comfortable.

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Booked hotel for me and boss and my oldest friend and his wife to celebrate a significant birthday. Couldnt risk Last Minute secret Hotel deal as needed to guarantee location. BIG MISTAKE

The hotel is very new and high quality but airless, it was a relief to get outside for fresh air. The aircon in the room was noisy but essential.

When we arrived no concierge outside so nearly got parking ticket whilst i queue to check in (loads of people with internet vouchers), not happy.

have serious grumpy old man issues here but disappointed to find hotel full of hen parties and party people on a secret hotel deal at much less than we paid. Made place very buzzy and great for the hotel to get bums in beds but rather over crowded.... Staff massively over stretched, breakfast was a joke both days, leisure club full of young couples with serious hangovers and trying to eat each other -OMG am i really writing this- the room shower broken, hairdryer didnt work, great ironing board but no iron as we found out too late. This hotel really needs more than two lifts, always a long wait for the lift but quite fun to look out into atrium and people spot and do look up its weird seeing the peoples feet above you through the glass floor.

Overall impression is that there are just not enough staff to deal with a full hotel but over all good value just dont think what the others paid, great location, would i stay again probably not as no air.

1  Thank pfg0406
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We booked the Grange St Pauls through a last minute secret hotel deal. The lobby and bar area are amazing - a great big glass structure. The room was really comfortable, with a lovely big bed, and it was nice to have a separate bath and shower. Molton Brown toiletries were another plus. In terms of location, it is in the City so is quiet at the weekends but is just a few steps away from St Pauls and the wobbly bridge to get over to the south bank. Overall, good value, and I'd definitely stay again.

1  Thank LSPLincoln