“Honeymoon stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #321 of 1,087 Hotels in London
essex, united kingdom
“Honeymoon stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

We were upgraded, as they made an error at the time of booking, and took my money four times. The room we had was lovely, but most of the rooms look into the central atrium, which means that you have to keep your curtains closed for privacy. We waited until 4pm for our room, when we requested an ice bucket, we waited 40minutes and called them again. We had a 'happy birthday' cake on arrival in our room - haven't a clue why!! The breakfast was lovely, plenty of choice and plenty of it. Maid service was excellent and hotel was very clean. Spa is tiny and when we e-mailed them to make a booking, they never replied, so we didn't bother. Other than that, it was excellent value for money and very clean and central to most of London, with everything you need near by.

Room Tip: Don't have a room that overlooks the central Atrium.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

...30 minutes to get your hotel room - then to be shown a room 250 metres away from the actual hotel

Poor service and personnel with an attitude. Definitely not worth the full price, and would not recommenda this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Anders P
Zuoz, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I travelled to this hotel with my girlfriend to watch a concert in London. Naturally as we only stayed one night my view may not be as broad as someone else's.

The hotel was very modern and vibrant with a clean feel to it. It barely deserves the 5 stars in my book though.

The service seems to be mostly comprised of Russians (nothing against them) who don't know the city very well or speak the language very well. This wasn't too much of a hindrance so we don't mind.

The taxi stand outside the hotel was useless at night. The porter never went out of his way to hail a cab. It was simpler to walk a few meters to call our own cab than wait half an hour in the London rain.

Location was annoying at night time but great in the day time. We were encouraged to take an expensive taxi which in the end makes our trip more expensive removing the positive impact from this low priced hotel.

Never ate in house but there is great fish and chips around the corner.

Overall, if in London on a tight budget. I would stay again. If I had the cash, I would chose a real 5 star.

• Stayed December 2013
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We spent time at the Grange St Paul's on both ends of a further trip to Lisbon. Our arrival flight put at the hotel before check-in time and needing sleep, but the front desk clerk Oksana took pity on us a put us in one of their apartments temporarily so we could catch a nap. On our return check -in, we arrived around midnight and the regular rooms were booked up, so they offered us the apartment again. When we resisted, due to an early departure in the morning, they put us in the Royal Suite - with stunning views of St.Paul's, the Shard and the Gerkin. The breakfasts were excellent and the spa facilities clean and fully equipped. We will definitely return.

Greater London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed at the Grange St Paul for a night last weekend. I had some friends coming down to London and one of my friends stayed at this hotel as well. So I decided to stay in the same hotel just to make things easier for us. When I arrived at the Hotel on a very rainy Saturday morning, I was not aware that the hotel has 2 separate building blocks. I managed to find the reception. Unfortunately, the receptionist was not very clear in explaining the direction to my room. She pointed at the exit door, and she said that I had to go to the "West Block". I could not see the entrance to the West block and there were some hotel staffs standing outside of the main building, smoking and chatting. I came to ask them where the "West Block" is. One of them just looked at me and started speaking Eastern European language at her colleague. I have to say that I was not very impressed. Then, I asked another staff who was standing not far from the main entrance (she was also smoking - in the area that is literally still guests area). When I asked her, she just pointed at the main door and asked me to ask the reception. I went back to the main building. There was a long queue in front of the reception. I asked another staff (this time a lobby bar staff) to give me direction to the "West Block". He just said that I need to speak to the concierge. Then, I came to speak to the Concierge who could not speak English properly. At that point, I had enough. Luckily, there was another guest who told me where the West Block is. Inside West Block, there was no clear direction where the lift is and nobody was in charge at the reception desk in the West Block. Nobody was there. I actually ended up at the linen room and the chambermaid (who does not speak English at all) pointed where to go to get to my room. I've been staying in so many 5 star hotels around the world and that was probably the worst welcoming experience that I have ever experienced. Staffs seem to be disinterested and also many of them have poor customer relations skills. My English is far from perfect but some of the staffs need to learn some basic English language. My German friend who also stayed in this hotel mentioned the same thing. On the positive, the room is actually good (especially the bathroom).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank xnchropis
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Booked this hotel for a birthday surprise emailed them in advance and asked for a room with a view which we got,not only that but on entering the room they left a great gift of a birthday cake,which really was a nice surprise and a great touch(got me in the good books). We got there early so to use all the facilities and the staff could not help enough all day.Great clean and modern hotel

Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband treated me to a night here, as it is cheaper to stay at weekends than the rest of the city. Lovely and quiet, so we were upgraded. Staff were very friendly and attentive, rooms were lovely.

Room Tip: Book at the weekend, as not busy.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple