“Love this hotel”

Grange St. Paul's Hotel
Ranked #337 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Third year running and we're back at the same hotel. We love the location, spa, massive beds in twin room and the atmosphere in general.
Perfect for a a weekend away.
This year we have returned with my daughter who is 1 and half. On our return home the house keeping had made her cot and put her dolly in too ... How nice!! This place always goes that extra mile

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Jenbee123
Write a ReviewReviews (4,407)

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband booked this hotel for an overnight stay in London. We generally opt for country hotels so this was a complete change for us. It was beautifully clean, polished and very inviting. The staff were busy but welcoming apart from at breakfast which I felt was rushed and simply fulfilled the task. The spa facilities were surprisingly good for a crowded city although the pool was too cold for me and the jacuzzi too hot to stay in too long (I know it sounds picky). However, the location was perfect, room well equipped and very quiet. We spent the following day shopping and sight seeing having left our overnight bags at the hotel but were told we were welcome to use the spa facilities as late as we wanted even though we had checked out.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kay R
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The Grange was the best value 5* London hotel we could find and it ticked all the boxes , location was quiet and in a smart area of the city but it was easy enough to get around . The staff were helpful and professional throughout and the communal areas were modern and stylish although a bit to minimalist for our tastes . Both rooms were first class , beautifully clean and expensively furnished , the reception gave our parents a room overlooking st Pauls at our request which was much appreciated .
The health club and spa was real 5*
The only reason why we've marked it down a rating was the "buffet style" breakfast which was similar to 3 or 4* star hotels we have stayed at . At £18 a head we expected to be served at the table and not queue at a toast machine with half a dozen other people .Another gripe was when we were charged £8 for two small bottles of water delivered to our our room although this did include a £3.50 tariff and it was probably the going rate for this type of hotel .
Overall , would stay again if visiting London .A lovely hotel .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights on business in January 2014 and I have to say that it was a very pleasant experience. Its located right next to St Paul's Cathedral and lots of restaurants, shops (M&S Food, small Sainsburys, Boots, etc) - a brilliant location as its in a side road, so very very quiet in the hotel Road noise was simply not a factor.

First impressions were fantastic. Very swish 5 star lobby and reception. Excellent.
9/10

One down side was that the bedrooms were very small. Just about big enough for one person but too small for two, for more than one night. Wardrobes were too small, hardly any drawer space, the bathroom door opened outwards - if you entered the bedroom then you could smash it into the bathroom door if it had been left open. Other small problems like not enough electric sockets to plug your laptop, phone into etc. Why don't all hotels have plug sockets near to the bed so that you can charge your phone - drives me crazy!! :)

We did have a room with a view of St Paul's - amazing!!

The bathroom was fine, small but perfectly fine. Shower had a glass shower screen and not the dreaded shower curtain - always a good thing!!
7/10

WiFi was free and decent enough speed. No connection issues etc.

Breakfast was a bit strange - in this chain they offer two levels - either continental or full English breakfast. Don't know whay this was so - I had the continental included in my rate so felt a bit hard done by as I wasn't allowed any hot food at all.
7/10

Staff were great - really helpful and lots of them - as you would expect.
9/10

Overall, a great hotel in a great location. Its a bit tough to stay more than a couple of nights as the rooms sizes were pretty small (but adequate I suppose) but perhaps that is a bit unfair. Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of St Paul's Cathedral - fantastic!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This hotel is in a really fantastic location, and priced very reasonably. I thought the room was lovely, and the bed was extremely comfy. It was very quiet and very clean. I was upgraded to an executive room when I checked in, which was a great bonus, and they also gave me a late checkout for free. The staff on the desk were all lovely, and the concierge service was fantastic. The guys on the door were especially helpful and friendly.
The only reason I have for not giving this hotel a better rating was the spa, which was one of the main reasons I chose the hotel, but when I went there was very small and surprisingly shabby. The pool was so cold I only managed two laps before I had to get out, and I got a splinter from sitting on a broken bench in the sauna!
All in all a good stay, but the multiple bars in the hotel and the general atmosphere is best suited to a celebration weekend over a business trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ErikaF404
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Room was fairly run-of-the-mill, with the exception of a beautiful gleaming bathroom with a rain shower and a gigantic tub. Also, with the exception of 2 or 3 staff members, most ranged from confused to blasé to downright surly. I asked the concierge (which is a group of random guys standing around, not a knowledgeable individual that you could depend upon to be helpful and all-knowing) for a taxi to a spot nearly a mile away, and was told "no taxi" would take me there. It was raining, and I was wearing uncomfortable shoes and carrying my laptop and a bunch of other stuff. I had to go out in front of the hotel and get my own cab, and when I related his comments to the cabbie, he was outraged and said that any cabbie who refused to pick me up should be reported. The one time I ordered room service, it arrived 2 hours later. When I called to inquire after an hour or so, I was told they had tried to deliver my meal, "but no one was in the room." This was an obvious lie, as I hadn't moved since I'd called in my order and when the coldish food finally showed up, the delivery guy said "I'm really sorry" so I have no idea what happened to my initial order. Then I went to eat my meal and found that I had no utensils! Unwilling to deal with these nitwits again, I had to use the tiny spoons that come with the tea service. Another night, I asked a member of the "concierge" staff for matches and was told I needed to walk to a shop a few blocks away (this was around midnight). I know this is a non-smoking hotel, but they did have areas right outside where you could have a smoke, so I don't think it's completely outrageous to think someone might have a pack of matches. Nearly all of the bar staff lack proficiency in English, so ordering anything was a major headache. All in all, not the greatest lodging experience.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the atrium if you don't like noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank hotlaundry
Reviewed 22 January 2014

wanted to treat my wife to london trip over new year and scoured loads of 'central' hotels which lead me to settle on grange st pauls. wasnt dissapointed - its very well located for london visit and keeps you away from the more manic central area. the st pauls area is refined and peacuful but well served with restaurants etc and its a short hop to covent garden. The hotel itself is modern and well equipped, nice staff and excellent rooms - get a room & breakfast deal and your laughing. I booked direct to achieve that. my wife loved it and we would definately go back - which is recommendation enough!

Room Tip: get an exec double!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple