“Swimming pool for swimmers”

Grange St. Paul's Hotel
Ranked #322 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Lovely hotel and excellent value for money:
Spacious, comfortable room; good breakfast, helpful, friendly staff; stunning view of St Paul's
Membership of attached professional gym with an 18m pool, sauna suite and gym

We stayed for a weekend and loved the hotel and its beautiful, quiet (at the weekend) and central location.

Room Tip: Our request to switch from the initial room we were allocated was dealt with quickly
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grange St. Paul's Hotel

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed here on Saturday 8th March. There was a private party happening on the Penthouse level in the Sky Bar so lots of guests all dressed up in tuxes and ball gowns, defo gave the hotel a bit of hustle and bustle. Found parking on the first left after hotel entrance on Knightrider St, so that worked out quite well, spaces are limited so get there early.

Checked in at 5pm and was fairly quick, service was okay, but nothing exceptional. Room was on 5th floor with a view of the lit up column in the lift area. I would suggest closing the curtains/ blinds for some privacy when getting changed as anyone in the lift area or rooms opposite will be able to see into the room. Bed was big and bathroom was nice, cleanliness wasn't so great as you could see drink and hand marks still on the coffee table. A sofa would have been better than the out of place coffee table that didn't really serve a purpose as there was an extended desk by the mirror and cupboards.

Dined at the Benihana restaurant that evening (we booked ahead, but it wasn't too busy) and it was great. Food was yummy and service was good, our chef was certainly entertaining with all the flips and fire tricks :) We went for drinks in Liverpool St and then came back to go Club Ten, also part of the hotel. Music was inconsistent, but it was a club night held by a promoter and not the club itself.

Breakfast wasn't included in the room price, so we decided to sleep in and check out at 12. Once checked out, we had a lovely walk around St Pauls as the sun was shining, everything was within walking distance - St Pauls Cathedral, Millenium Bridge, One New Change etc. All in all, it was by no means a cheap weekend, but it was defo worth it and all so convenient. Didn't get to check out the spa, but our friends that also stayed there did and loved it. Will most likely stay again if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Positives:
Excellent location (very close to tube stop, many restaurants and shops nearby)
Very clean

Not great service

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Alicew25
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I've stayed here a couple of times on work trips. I had bill back arranged with our travel providers and this seems to always be an issue with this hotel (many others have reported the same). The request is faxed through to the hotel then never looked at. The staff were helpful enough but it ended up taking about 20 minutes to get checked in when all I wanted to do was relax after a busy day.

Upon checking in I was asked if I had any room preference and said it would be nice to have a good view. I was then given a room on the first floor facing a brick wall. What was the point in asking me for my preference? Be wary of what time you check in, Monday from 5pm onwards can be very busy and you can be waiting a while.

I wasn't paying for this hotel but for the price you don't really get very much, breakfast is an extra £20 and I've staying in cheaper hotels with much bigger rooms. The room service was very quick but food not great, tried once and not again!

Room Tip: Try to check in during the day when it tends to be quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed at the Grange in November last year with my girlfriend on a weekend trip down to London. It just also happened to be the weekend of the Lord Mayors Show... which I didn't realise at the time of booking. A lot of the streets around the hotel were completely shut when we arrived, in anticipation of the parade, which made getting to the hotel a bit of a nightmare!
That weekend was also remembrance Sunday - I don't think we could have picked a busier
When we arrived at the hotel it was clear to see why it was 5*, it was ultra modern and very classy. With very pleasant staff to check us in and take our bags we knew we had made a good choice. The hotel is only meters away from St Paul's Cathedral, and minutes from Millennium Bridge, with a number of underground stations very nearby.

We got the room for a bargain price of around £130 - which I thought was fantastic for a 5* hotel in the centre of London! We were then given a complimentary upgrade, so it turned out to be even more of a bargain! I had looked at a number of 3rd party websites for the best price for the stay, but none of them were as cheap as booking through the hotels own website.

Our room was very very nice. It was huge, with a massive bed, comfortable sofa, swivel bucket chair, and glass coffee table. One wall of the room was actually just a full window. This would have been fantastic if there was a nice view, but unfortunately we were facing another concrete building.
The bathroom was fully tiled top to bottom, with a walk in wet - room style shower. The shower was powerful with body massage feature which was great. We also had a bath in the room - not sure if this is standard in all rooms.

We didn't use the Spa unfortunately, but as always tends to be the case when you visit London - So much to do, so little time!

We hadn't booked breakfast with our stay, as we normally go out and find somewhere local to eat, and just up the road we found a small cafe, right outside the cathedral. It was very modern, with wooden benches and tables. They sold croissants, bagels and lots of other fresh food and fresh pressed juices. There was a great choice and it was all very reasonably priced. I think the hotel were charging £15 pp for breakfast so we are glad we didn't book that.

My only gripe would be, that when our bags were taken at check in, we were told to go up to our room and they would be brought up for us. This actually took nearly 25 minutes, and I had to call down to reception to ask what the hold up was.

We recently stayed at The Grange - Tower Bridge, and while it was very very nice, I think St Paul's is just that little bit better.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had a lovely stay at this hotel, great facilities, great location and great room. Shame we were overlooking the YHA youth hostel next door and there was a group of 10ish people drinking/chatting/laughing on the doorstep at 3am! I'd go again, but make sure I didn't get a room on that side! (And there wasn't much of an apology from the staff, can't believe I was the first to experience that!)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

The staff are excellent and so polite the hotel is clean and very up to date, we were very impressed. The rooms and facilities are spot on and the location is perfect! Will definitely return and recommend. Good for families, we took our two boys 3 and 4 and they loved it!

Stayed: March 2014