“Very comfortable hotel”

Ranked #324 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Very comfortable hotel”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I recently stayed at the Grange St Pauls while in London on business. The hotel from the outside has the look of a modern office building - something that persists in the lobby and reception within the interior atrium. Once you navigate the lifts - which are few and therefore slow, until you learn where to find the additional ones elsewhere in the building - you will find a modern and well-equipped room. Mine was interior facing, which created a tendency to keep the blinds shut (even though I couldn't see into other rooms, there was a possibly irrational feeling that others could see into mine!). My room rate included free Wifi (which was reliable) and a buffet breakfast (which had a good variety of hot and cold fare, but a properly made coffee cost extra!). The staff were all helpful when needed.

All in all, a modern and well-located hotel, ideal for a short stay in the centre of London.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

It's a fantastic hotel. Great location, lovely sky bar with St. Paul's Cathedral looming up at you, brilliant lunch (x2) and dinner. Colleague staying over said his room was "superb", but I was a day delegate so didn't see the rooms. Very versatile conference space.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We selected Grange St. Paul's on the recommendation of a friend. We were very pleased with the modern decor and cleanliness of the hotel, as well as its proximity to the cathedral. Unfortunately no bookings were open for our desired spa service time but the spa looks beautiful.

There are several affordable/family-friendly restaurants in the immediate vicinity (Cafe Rouge, Nando's, Pizza Express, etc.) but much of the commercial/financial district nearby was very quiet at night as we walked around looking for late-night drinks and food.

A remark on the immediate vicinity of the hotel and not the property itself: While on a romantic stroll just exiting the beautiful night-lit Millennium Bridge, my husband and I were accosted by a mugger who drove his bike into us as we walked toward the hotel. It was dark outside but there were several other passersby in the area. It was a good reminder that whether day or night, alone or in a crowd, we have to remain alert and on-guard lest we lost a wallet or worse. Unfortunately for the would-be mugger, my husband is an ex-Royal Marines Commando. Husband 1, Mugger 0.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Azua
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

On the spur of the moment I booked a night in the Grange, St Paul's and we weren't disappointed, it really is a great hotel, superb facilities and provided excellent facilities and service.

The Hotel is approx 4/5mins walk from Mansion House or St Pauls tube stations and is situated in the financial area of London, which means at the weekend in the evening the whole area is nice a quiet, which we like especially as we'd brought the kids down with us.

After checking in we caught the glass lift up to our room and the kids couldn't believe their eyes on going into the suite, 'wow, we're never staying in a Premier Inn again!!'......The room was finished to a very high standard with two Queen beds, large wardrobes and a very swish bathroom. We loved the full width / height window and really couldn't fault the room.

After a fun night out at the Theatre we came back for a fabulous nights sleep and the next morning came down for a wonderful Continental breakfast. The 'waiting' staff were very polite, coffee came readily (always good in my book) and there was a great selection for all.

We had hoped to use the Spa pool etc but as we planned to take in some of the sights we then went to check-out at which point the Reception staff advised me that even though we were checking out we could continue to use the facilities at any point during the day. A quick word with the children confirmed that swimming would be more fun than another art gallery, so we changed our plans again, grabbed the swimming gear and spent the next few hours in the pool, jacuzzi etc. The pool was a little cool, but a few lengths soon had the blood flowing and we spent a few hrs just enjoying ourselves.

It always nice when you come leaving somewhere knowing that you want to go back and for us the Grange, St Paul's is one of those hotels. Well worth the price we paid, we can't fault it and look forward to staying there again.

1 Thank Jenningsfamilylincs
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here for my daughters 5th birthday. Was very pleased when we arrived at the hotel, staff were very pleasant & welcoming, hotel is beautifully done. Stayed in the executive twin room with a lovely view of the hotel, the room was very clean & me & my partner had the best sleep in the comfy beds. Would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed March 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel before and was entirely satisfied with my stay. I booked my recent stay in October 2013 and requested an outside facing room twin room. When I arrived with my daughter at around 2pm the receptionist was somewhat offhand in manner. She told me that check in was at 3 and because I 'insisted on an outside facing room the room was not ready.' I checked in and said I would return in an hour. The receptionist was not however finished she then went on to tell me 'if all of our rooms would be outward facing all the guests would be happy but you insisted on a room facing out and the room is not ready.' I left and returned in an hour and collected our room key only to find that the twin room I had requested was in fact a double bed. I went downstairs and spoke to a man at reception who told me that the bed could be separated and this would be done by housekeeping by 5pm. I went out and returned at 6pm only to find two people in the room splitting the beds, we had theatre tickets and needed to change but they did not finish sorting out the bed until 6.30pm. This made it a rush for us to get ready in time for the theatre.
The beds were hard and uncomfortable and the pillows even worse. Neither I nor my daughter was comfortable and because the beds had been spilt they were very narrow single beds. Given this is a 5* hotel I do not expect this level of discomfort. The room was very stuffy but the air conditioning was very loud so it was not easy to have this on for long. I will not risk staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: One that is actually what you requested
2 Thank 1Sussexgal
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The hotel is situated in a good location. It is large and can get very busy. We were disappointed that our rooms were not ready, despite arriving later than the time stated. The rooms were spacious, very clean ( as is all the hotel) and were very comfortable. The continental breakfast was very disappointing: different cheeses on the same tray for people to cut themselves ended up looking very messy and selection of yogurts were poor. Our main niggles were the lifts and lack of information inside on what floors have what. The spa looks lovely, but for us we found on Sunday morning the pool area was the noisiest place in the hotel, lots of children having fun using the pool and jacuzzi, making it impossible to swim and generally relax. The bar area has ample seating and staff very helpful.