“Excellent Hotel”

Grange St. Paul's Hotel
Ranked #332 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have stayed in this hotel several times for both business and pleasure and I cannot fault it - even when there are hiccups (like sending us to an occupied room!).

The staff are really efficient and friendly. Last time I stayed I was upgraded which was a nice touch as they realised I had stayed there before.

My only gripe is that in some of the rooms mobile signals are virtually non-existent - it was quickly remedied with a call to reception and a no- hassle room move.

Love the Grange and will be returning!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank FairieCake
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you for reviewing the hotel - you comments have been noted. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Unplanned hotel accommodation was the order of the day, so last minute.com Secret Hotels was the answer. We were not disappointed. The hotel was centrally located, very clean, modern, the room was crisp and the bathroom and its shower very impressive. Did not hear the bells. The hotel is clearly designed for the business traveller in mind,as it is basically in the City, but do not let that put you off staying. Lots to do out and about. The bar which is in a huge comfortable area is open to the wee hours of the morning. Staff were polite and friendly. We would certainly stay there again if in the area.

Room Tip: The hotel has a main building with one or two outlying buildings with guest rooms as well. We were g...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Its good to hear that you enjoyed your last minute break - the hotel is indeed in a beautiful vibrant area of London.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The Hotel is large, clean, well positioned but perhaps lacks any Charisma or features to draw you back.

We ended up at this establishment through Secret Hotel and at the price we paid it was a real bargain and I have no complaints. The room was modern, fresh and clean. However nothing could clear the air of the smell of a previous occupants smoking habits, despite there being a No Smoking sign in the room.

It is also great to have windows you can open but just be aware that St Paul's does ring the Bells throughout the night, I personally loved it but I could well imagine that it may upset the lighter sleeper! Do not book anywhere around The Cathedral if this is going to be a problem, look elsewhere.

We had a room that looked to the outside and was on floor 6 so was not overlooked and was bright and sunny, I am not sure I would like an internal room that looked into the Atrium and across into the opposite rooms.

We did not try the food so cannot comment on that but the Atrium looked like a very pleasant place to sit and eat.

Room Tip: Choose an outside room high up and if the noise of the Bells is going to worry you ask for a room fa...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

It is a problem when guests are inconsiderate to others and ignore the smoking laws. I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotels in the future.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night after purchasing through Lastminute's 'Secret Hotels'. I have to say that the hotel is very impressive to look at and the service is some of the best I have ever experienced. There is a big HOWEVER though; the beds are incredibly uncomfortable. This hotel is located directly across from St Paul's which means it can charge very high prices. I was upgraded to a superior room when I got there which I was initially very excited about but when I got into bed that evening, I found it very hard and difficult to sleep on. I know not everybody who stays in London will spend much time in the room but as a business visitor, all I wanted was a comfortable nights sleep. I wouldn't again pay to spend a night in this hotel, whether full price or discounted via a price like Lastminute. Having said that, there were positive aspects to the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

I am glad you liked the hotel however sorry the matress was too firm for your liking - we do get numerous requests from guests as to where they can purchase them!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed at the Grange St.Paul's for 5 nights for mostly business though I had the weekend to myself. The location is very good for business as it's in the City and near most of where my meetings were located. It's across the street from the St.Paul's Cathedral and a hop, skip and a jump from the tube.

The hotel is relatively new and quite posh though you don't pay posh prices. I was under a corporate rate but I believe the regular rates are highly competitive. The design of the main areas and the rooms were nice and sleek.

My experience at the hotel was positive however, when I checked out the hotel manager checked me out and he was unlike the other staff who were warm and friendly. Maybe he was having a bad morning but when the customer pays what he just paid for a 5 night stay, it would have been nice (and easy) to say "goodbye". He handed me my bill and never looked up. As a friendly Canadian, I said "bye" and it was ignored........

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and its location for both business and pleasure. Your comments have been noted. Hope you had a good journey home and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future :)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We have stayed here on a number of occasions. We always feel we can rely on the hotel to have a clean, quiet and attractive room. We checked in on a very busy Saturday afternoon. We were to be 'upgraded' we were told. BUT, we were in the annexe. I'm always suspicious of annexe accommodation. Over we went, having to go outside in the heavy rain, to reach the 'other' building. Of course, it's only a few steps, but we'd have rather had a regular room in the actual main building.
Also having to walk through smokers huddled around the entrance door is not pleasant either.

Room was pretty much the same as the regular rooms, perhaps a little larger. We actually prefer the regular bathroom which has a bath and separate shower. This had a shower over the tub.
Also, we prefer to look onto the inner courtyard of the hotel rather than the 'upgraded' view of a derelict building and back street.

We couldn't turn the aircon off without taking the card out and turning off all the lights. Wasn't an issue, but just a niggle. Also, the bottom sheet was far too small for the super kingsize zip link bed. It kept getting scrunched up. Then we found that it only had a double mattress protector underneath. Making a messy nights sleep.

We had the continental breakfast both mornings (included in our good rate). It was absolutely fine and the service was excellent. It is in all areas of the hotel. Everybody smiles and says hello.

We certainly wouldn't pay rack rate for this hotel. It isn't worth it. If you can get it around £150 a night then that's fine. The carpark is just around the corner and is reasonably priced. Bus and tube connections are great too.

Our faith was a little weakened and we've booked a Marriott for our stay next week.

Room Tip: Avoid the annexe.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay however we will note your preferences for a future stay.

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I found this to be the sort of hotel I would choose if I were a millionaire author writing my next book. My room on the 5th floor had lovely views, was well furnished and felt sophisticated. The spa was nice and the breakfast tasty. I'm glad work was paying though and I would struggle to justify it otherwise. I agree with others in that it lacks the charisma of the Corinthia for example.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business