“We enjoyed our weekend at the Grange”

Grange St. Paul's Hotel
Ranked #332 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We have just returned from a most enjoyable stay at the Grange St Paul's Hotel. The staff was, without exception, extremely friendly and helpful.

The rooms were most comfortable. Both my wife and I had an excellent nights sleep. As one would expect the room and bathroom were clean and well decorated. A plus for me was that the bathroom actually had enough shelving space for toiletries! The only down side to the room was that one needed to use the air conditioning which was very effective but we didn't want to have it running all night (noise) consequently it was stuffy by the next morning (the window could not be opened).

Breakfast was of a good standard, the pastries and fruit were fresh and despite lots of guests the breakfast area was comfortable. I did however find the £8 extra charge for a cooked English breakfast too much.

The hotel is situated next to St Paul’s and so is ideally suited for central London visitors. A tip for those travelling by car at the weekend: there are 4-5 parking spaces directly in front of the hotel, these are free at the weekend.

I can unreservedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your weekend and thank you for your great review. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to England.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were a group of eight staying one night, reception took ages to check us in and allocate rooms despite us having done an initial check earlier in the day. Despite us all being one booking And checking in together we had two rooms in one part of the hotel and two in the other, one couple being given a disabled room when it wasn't needed. Our room was nice, clean and comfortable but had no bath plug!!! It looked out on the atrium so you have to pull blinds down or people opposite can see in! The bar staff were unfriendly, despite it being a cocktail bar they struggled to find a cocktail menu, bringing us a tatty one eventually. They messed up the bill twice and charged a service charge! The breakfast was good, lots of choice and tasty, though tea really weak.

The location is great, next to the cathedral which they clearly rely on. The pool, steam room etc are really nice and an added bonus.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tallylully
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

I am pleased you found your room to be clean and comfortable, that you enjoyed the location and the breakfast, however we aer sorry that your expectations were not fully satisfied in all respects. We thank you for your comments and concerns which have been noted and investigated. Accessible rooms have been specifically designed to the same high standards of other hotel bedrooms and equally to be used by any guest.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights recently. can't say i was too enamored, especially as billed as 5 star. not cheap either: i paid stg350 which is easily bettered in ldm in a better hotel. Although this has best in class facilities and ok location, its quite poor as a business hotel, mainly because the service is very poor. however would stay here with my family as the pool, and location are greta. also the food is quite poor, but again kid friendly. caters it seems to american gusset mainly and in fact has an american chain restaurant inside. hotel in a quiet location, so good for sleeping

Room. Very nice room with two twin beds. very small tv bathroom was very plain, not 5 star at all, and quite cramped. very quiet so got good sleep.

food. for me below par. breakfast was buffet style in a nice atrium. the choice and quality was poor though with the english breakfast advertised very low standard. had nice porridge one morning. Terrible coffee.

room service. ok to so so food, ok portions, choice weak but as a plus there was a kiddie section which is unusual for a business hotel

general ambience. very new and nice. having a 7 story ad display in the main lobby spoils the whole thing more than a bit

staff. courteous, not very well trained. medium 4 star service.

doubtful if i will return, if i have a choice. i stayed here because my favorite ldn hotels were booked out

Room Tip: i was on south west side. was very quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Handad
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to make your review. We are sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your stay. Your comments have been noted. We hope however that you will return on a future date with your family.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I was 1st introduced to this hotel whilst staying on business in Central London. I had stayed in many other hotels in London (numerous Raddisons, Holiday inns & Thistle's) for pleasure but although finding them of comparable price or more expensive they do not match up to either the standard or facilities of the Grange. This is now my hotel of choice for both business and pleasure. Although as some have stated in previous reviews this is a business driven hotel during the week it is a tourist / leisure hotel at the weekends.

The gym and pool are excellent and rival many professional establishments in the area. The hotel is steps away from the Thames towpath for the avid runner and minutes walk from St Paul's tube or Thames link.

Ensure your rate includes a full or continental breakfast otherwise upgrading can be expensive and in my opinion not worth it.

The hotel is more than willing to store baggage upon an early arrival or upon departure which is always useful for tourists.

My only criticism is that the hotel neither operates a loyalty program or seems to keep track of regular visitor. As stated I have stayed at this hotel multiple times since it opened and the staff at checkin, although sometimes ask, never seem to recognise I am a regular patron. This would be a simple addition to the level of service they provide and would add to the overall experience.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel, although you will need to book early as it gets full quickly or becomes expensive as vacancy levels drop.

I await a warm welcome back when I visit again during August.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent review and we are so pleased that you enjoy the hotel for both business and pleasure on a regular basis. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

One of the best i've ever been at i like the swimmingpool very much and my view from the room of st.paul was awesome ! Close to the bridge, london tower, Shakespeare's theatre and bus stop :) the personal was helpful and the hotel was easy to find!

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your superb review. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotels in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Got a room which overlooked the court yard which offers no privacy! These look into other rooms so have no option but to keep the blinds down and have to have the room nights on.

Staff aren't friendly, asked a member of staff called Monica if you need to take towels to the pool or where they provided and her reply was uhh English please! Bearing in mind she was Polish. It came across very rude!

The hotel just doesn't offer a friendly atmosphere defiantly not 5 star.

Booked from secret escapes which did offer a saving. Walking distance to St. Paul's station.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darren_084

We are disappointed that your expectations were not fully satisfied on this occasion. Your comments have been noted and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I were staying recently as we both had engagements in London. My partner checked in, in the afternoon and advised reception that I would be arriving later that night. He requested that they hold a key for me as he would be out when I arrived.

On my arrival at about 10pm I told the reception that I was expected and that a key was waiting for me.

I was then asked for id. Which whilst surprised, I gave him. The name is different. There was then a considerable conversation when I was cross examined. The implication was that I was a Prostitute ("you can't be too careful at this time of night"). I then produced a copy of the e mail confirmation, which seemed to change the attitude. I would say at no time was the receptionist rude, but made me feel unwelcome. Eventually after about 15 embarrassing minutes and after showing 2 pieces of photo id one of which being a driving licence the other my membership card of the Grange's Health club and the booking confirmation, I was eventually allowed in.

There then followed a farcical performance over the second key. The key they programmed for me did not work. The solution was to escort me to the room, but if I left the room, to visit the bar perhaps, I would have to ask someone to escort me to the room to let me back in.

This behaviour/policy of cross examining a paying guest is frankly appalling. My partner has made a formal complaint and is awaiting an explanation.

If perhaps as we often do, arrive at a hotel at different times, as would many couples working in the City, we would not expect a humiliating farce, especially at a hotel we have stayed in before. We have done this at many hotels and have never been treated as shoddily. Would you like it to be implied that your partner or yourself be anything other than a legitimate guest? !

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

We are sorry if we made you feel uncomfortable, this was not our intention, however it is standard practice to ask guests for identification if they are picking up or reactivating keycards. We take the security of our guests, staff and property seriously and apologise if this was misinterpreted.