“NOT IMPRESSED!!!!OVERRATED”

Grange St. Paul's Hotel
Ranked #325 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“NOT IMPRESSED!!!!OVERRATED”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on the 5-7th July 2014. Upon my arrival I was greeted with a sense of prejudice, the receptionist glanced at me then carried on doing what she was doing. No one was before me or waiting behind me. Then another receptionist came from the far left and ask "can I help you with anything?" Somehow that didn't feel right especially when she said " O I didn't realised u wanted to check in" .. .. I was then checked in and I heard the receptionist ask a young man to accompany me to my "Apartment ".... To my surprise... The guy stood there for about 2 minutes doing what he was doing as if I wasn't there.... I think he felt my hard stare then he looked up at me then said to the other receptionist..."did u mean right now?"....she smiled with embarrassment and said yea. He walked passed me without a word and I followed... For all of however much minutes to tha apartment I struggled to keep up with him and also with my luggage and not a word from this guy. I FELT A SENSE OF DISCRIMATION...I FELT UNWELCOMED. My partner had gone to find parking. I was distraught with the room..it was small and quite basic for a 5 star. The toilet blocks the shower door from opening....so we had to open on the inside and u r left in an awkward position. The TV Froze all through our stay. The pub and other buildings from my room view made my nights and mornings quite uncomfortable... I had to keep the blinds drawn at all times as there was no privacy in the room. I feel I have been robbed of my £268.00. Coming all the way from Bham to see my partner on our special occasion I felt disappointed. It's all well and good for the guest relations manager to take my comments on board but how do you compensate my disappointment? I actually feel I deserve a goodwill gesture along with a thorough investigation and an apology from those staff. I stayed in room 103. I didn't even get a chance to enjoy any of the hotel facilities bcuz I didn't know where they were located...I felt I didn't stay at the Gauge...it's like I was thrown aroun a corner.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Janice C
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Janice, I am sorry to read your comments regarding your recent stay. You have raised a number of comments which I won't be able to address individually. I have made investigations and apologise most sincerely for any inconvenience or embarrassment which may have been caused. This is not typical of our normal standards. You are assured that these matters have been and will continue to be addressed with the hotel directly and via the Company's Training Team. Kind regards Nellie.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My husband and I stayed in the hotel last weekend. We were very impressed with the customer service at reception and also the overall appearance of the hotel.
The room was spacious, had a flatscreen TV on the wall, tea and coffee making facilities and a queen size bed. It benefited from a beautiful mirrored bathroom which had the normal WC, sink & bath but also a lovely separate corner shower with body jets. However the downside to this is that it cost £280 per couple for the one night plus £23 each for full English breakfast which we found to be a little on the expensive side although being in the heart of London, very close to the River Thames, St Paul's Cathedral, great restaurants and many other attractions- what else were we to expect. For the average couple this was definitely a treat. Great for a romantic special occasion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
So pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the rooms, the hotel and its location good. We hope you will come again soon.
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent being a stones throw from St Pauls cathedral and some lovely bars and restaurants. The hotel was very well furnished throughout and the rooms were spacious and comfortable and well decorated. We had a fantastic stay and although the pool was a little cold, the spa facilities were great too. We also visited the rooftop Madison bar which overlooks the cathedral which when the sun is shining is amazing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Its good to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the rooms comfortable and the location good. We hope that you will return soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Beautiful hotel. Spacious rooms which are very clean and the beds and pillows (which I always struggle with) are very comfy and soft.
Staff are lovely and helpful.
View of St Pauls is exceptional its straight across the road.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your lovely review, I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and liked our silk filled pillows!
Surrey, U.K.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Whilst not entirely sure this is a 5-star hotel it is certainly up there at 4+.
With plenty of reception staff check-in was very swift and efficient.
The room was exceptionally comfortable and with the combination of the bed, superb black-out curtains and lack of outside noise, I had one of the best night's sleep I have ever experienced in London.
The layout of the hotel is somewhat quirky and the area around reception a bit cramped but these are minor points.
It is also a great shame that the rooftop terrace is only available for private hire and not for hotel guests to enjoy a drink and the view. For me, sitting in The Atrium was rather like sitting in a shopping centre.
What has enabled me to give the 'excellent' rating is the price we paid. I have paid more to stay in a Premier Inn in London and several-fold more to stay in other supposedly 5-star hotels that were nowhere near as good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and had one of the best nights sleep you have ever had in London! Guests are welcome to sit on the terrace and enjoy the view from the Sky bar, although the actual bar is only open for private events.
London
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I had great expectations for my romantic stay here but was sadly left feeling ice cold.

Alarm bells about the level of service to expect should have started to ring when, immediately after making my booking I sent the spa an enquiry but never received a reply. Check in was slow and we were greeted by a queue which, to be fair could simply be the result of poor timing on our part. The room was functional however the television continued to freeze - seemingly due to come kind of intereference and we had great difficulty turning the shower to a temperature that wasnt scorching.

I unfortunately found the majority of staff I encountered (other than the check in desk) to be quite rude and dismissive. When I approached the bar in the courtyard I wasnt acknoweldged by the bar lady and had to wait whislt she finished her conversation with a colleague before I was offered some rather unfriendly service.

Room service, a fairly simply order of pizza and chips was delivered with a pizza still frozen in the middle. Which had to be returned. I noticed with interest at check out that not only was I still charged for this, the room service charge was also not waived. This is not something a guest should have to request at a 5 star establishment. As a city worker and reveller I enjoy frequent stays at hotels within the city and I usual try to pay a little extra for that luxury feel. I left The Grange feeling very luke warm about its offerings and this is not a chain I forsee using again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay and apologise for any shortcomings. Your comments have been noted. I hope that you will come again in the future when I am sure your expectations will be fully satisfied.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

So you get to the hotel entrance; a grand affair just a few seconds by foot from the magnificent St Paul's Cathedral - and then it goes down hill.

Checked in by a trainee? Ok, everyone has to learn but at 10pm on a Friday night after a 14 hour day...

Pointed in the direction of "our lovely apartment building, just two minutes away".... uh oh

Busy street lined with pubs and just off the main road? Oh dear

To put it bluntly, if I'dve wanted to stay in a self catering shoebox I'd have booked one, not a five star hotel room.

The room service menu is not even half of the main hotel. It is impossible to get to the main hotel comfortably for breakfast, you might as well eat at Pret - it's right outside.

this WAS NOT a 5 star hotel experience in any way, shape or form. Poor. I've stayed at the Grange Barbican before and was expecting much, much better at St Pauls.

Room Tip: AVOID the Annex on Creed Lane, particularly over the weekend, loud and too far from the hotel to be...