“Excellent!!”

Grange St. Paul's Hotel
Ranked #328 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a Friday night with my wife on our wedding anniversary. Everything about the hotel was excellent.

The room was nice, spacious and had a great shower. Staff all very friendly and nice touch that they wished us a happy anniversary with 2 cakes waiting for us in the room.

Breakfast in the morning was lovely, huge variety with plenty to suit all tastes.

Finally it was an ideal location, right next to St Paul's and close to the Tube. All in all a very pleasant stay, would definitely come back!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (782)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Very nice hotel, this is the second time we have stayed, the gentleman on the front desk stopped us and offered us an umbrella as we were going out, wonderful as it rained while we were out, excellent service.
Good rooms, clean and quiet.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
I am pleased you found the hotel satisfactory and the service good. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We were lucky enough to book one night at this hotel as a 'Top Secret' hotel on Lastminute.com, which gave us a great saving on the room rate. Breakfast wasn't included in the rate, and at an additional cost of £26.00 each, we went without, there are plenty of cafés serving up great value breakfasts in the area. The location of the hotel is superb just across the road from St Paul's and a few minutes away from the Millennium Bridge. The nearest tube station is at Blackfriars, which is only a 5minute walk away. The hotel is very well appointed, and rooms are what you'd expect at a hotel of this class, clean and stylish, there were more electrical audio and visual connections to keep the biggest geek happy. The bed was one of the most comfortable that we have ever slept in, I had meant to check the make of the mattress in the morning, but must have been too relaxed to think about it in the morning. There was a good choice of tea and coffee available, but no hot chocolate. Good speed free wifi. The only reason that I haven't given the hotel 5* is that when I decided to have a bath after coming back from the theatre the water was scaldingly hot, and as much as I tried I could not get it to run any cooler, I felt that it was too late to call reception to get it sorted, I left the water in to cool overnight to balance up the hot water in the morning. Overall a great hotel for sight seeing in this part of London.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review. We are pleased you found the hotel met your expectations and you particularly enjoyed the location. I hope that you informed the hotel of your difficulties with the water in order that they were able to rectify any problem. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The secret of a great Hotel, once it has the basics sorted is for it's staff to treat each customer as special, this the Grange at St Paul's did. We stayed here as part of out Pearl wedding celebrations. We heard about it from a friend who had stayed here previously and have been pleased with their stay and although we usually stay in the West End we decided to give it a try. We had a fantastic room on the 6th floor overlooking St Paul's the view was amazing. Breakfast were very good and all food items were continually stocked up and never ran out evan on the busy Sunday morning. The standard of service was fantastic all the way through from reception, housekeeping, restaurant, bar to check out, although if I am picky the service of Breakfast on the Monday morning was a tad better than on the Friday and Sunday, probably as it was less busy, but the staff coped admirably at all times. It is billed as a 5 star hotel but when compared to the The Savoy, The Mayfair, The Royal Horseguards I must be honest and say that it does fall a little short so maybe 4.9 stars. It was spotlessly clean and did have all the services of a 5 star maybe it was the fact that its main clientèle seemed to be tourists looking for a 5 star hotel on a bit of a budget - no bad thing and the Hotel fulfilled its obligations but it just lacked the aura of the Traditional Luxury 5 stars. The rooms were big and airy despite the windows not opening (6th floor with a floor to ceiling window, probably best they did not open), the bedrooms were spotlessly clean and completely soundproof, the bathrooms had robes and slippers plus all the other usual extras. There was also a turn down service which was nice - something you only get in 5 star hotels these days, We also had the Sushi sharing platter one night in the Silks bar this too was good and did not disappoint.

Just one note to the Hotel - maybe you could open up the Sky-bar to the public/residents and not just reserve it for private functions. We had a brief look around up there and the views of the London skyline were amazing and we would have loved to sit up there with a drink or if you opened up the BBQ offer to all it would be great.

What more can I say an excellent Hotel in a great location at a great price we look forward to returning for a special birthday in October.

Thank you for great weekend the weather was perfect too.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your 5* review. We are so pleased that your anniversary stay met your expectations and that our staff made you feel special. We hope you will stay with us again on your ruby anniversary if not before!
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Firstly the location is fantastic, right by St Paul's. Staff at the front impeccably dressed and very polite, they were excellent in the morning when we needed an urgent taxi. Check in staff were so helpful especially as our booking seemed to have got confused. Nice building and a big room which had a good iron (one of my little bugbears if not). Very comfy bed. But the bath had a huge chip out of it (room 255) right where you would stand for a shower - with the room near £300 per night I can't accept that. In the bar again the staff were very helpful but the quick snack dish was cold and in-edible, it was taken away and not charged for but it put us off of eating there. So can't complain at all about the staff but maybe a touch of attention to detail required.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange St. Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Glad you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry your expectations were not fully satisfied however, your comments have been noted. I hope you will choose to stay with us on a future stay.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

first you find a 5-star hotel in Citi for a great price and book it but then recognize you get just what you have paid for and not more. That was my second time with this hotel and I didnt enjoy both, honestly. Not a real disappointment I would say, but no feeling of true hospitality either. Apparently my stay had only one reason - attending a seminar held on the hotel's premises.
The location is convenient - right near the underground, close to St Paul's, river walks and Tate Modern, so you can spend some time after the business hours. Although the travel to/from Paddington takes certain time - mind it when need to catch the plane in Heathrow. Also there is a shopping mall around which shopoholics of course would not even compare with the Oxford street area but quite enough for myself. The views from the hotel are normally poor facing the narrow lanes around but smaller part of the building gives a stunning St.Paul's view. The building itself is stylish (even while myself personally do not like this modern "glass-everywhere" style) with glass galleries and large atrium full of light. Rooms (I took the standard) are generous in space, clean and soundproof. The bathroom was equipped with both bath and shower cabin, bathrobe and slippers provided. The bed was large and comfortable but not so were the pillows. I've taken the full breakfast which was completely uninteresting with a standard set of sausages/bacon/beans etc.and no house specialty at all. But you can get a better choice with a glass of champagne - for extra 10 pounds. Pinching the pennies everywhere - that was my feeling of the place - how should this stand for a 5 star level? The breakfast area was busy at 7 am - so are they really scared people coming for business would drink out all their champagne early in the morning to make the extra charge and look greedy ? Checkout time is 11 am - I thought it was 12 - and the receptionist called me couple of times to remind they would charge extra 20 pounds if I came down later. When finally I did there was a queue of 5-7 people at the reception but nobody bothered to open 1-2 extra desks (or were they short-staffed? do not know). At least you can leave your luggage for free...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to make your review. Although I am pleased you found the hotel stylish and the soundproofed rooms clean, comfortable and the bathroom well equiped, I am sorry that it was not personally to your taste.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Service at check in/out was excellent. Service in the bar area was good most of the time and in the breakfast area it was adequate. We paid for the full English buffet but each morning the hostess welcomed us by saying we had a continental. They did sort it out however.
Dinner at Benihanas in the hotel was excellent though much more expensive than their American counterparts.
Rooms were spacious, clean and what you would expect from this class of hotel which had great amenities. The location however was excellent with St Pauls next door and a short walk to St Pauls underground. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Good to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel, its facilities and location good. I am also pleased you enjoyed your meal in Benihana. I hope you will return soon.