“Great Location and Friendly”
Review of Tudor Court Hotel

Tudor Court Hotel
Ranked #804 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
“Great Location and Friendly”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Pros -
Great location - only around the corner from Paddington Station. Even though, we were in the basement, we still had a nice view from our window of the surrounding area.

The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful.

The room was clean and it was quite surprising that they came in our room and made our beds, clean the bathroom while we were out - we were quite grateful for that!

The breakfast was lovely even it was basic.

We had a family room and we found it good for size.

Cons -
I thought charging us £6 a day for wi-fi was dear and I think it should be included with the price we paid.

The stairs to the basement could be quite dangerous if you are not careful.

The bathroom was small and very plastic!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Your comments about our hotel are much appreciated, thank you.

I do take your point about the wi-fi but this does help us to maintain our rooms – at different sizes and different budgets – at very good value-for-money prices for this part of central London.

Again, many thanks.

Connan Gupta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel was Reasonably priced, basic room but clean. Staff were helpful when I asked for anything. Breakfasts were very average but the location was fantastic. I was on the 5 th floor and was happy to get some exercise walking up stairs but need to note that there is no lift for people with mobility issues.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

I am grateful to you for your review. We do try our best to maintain our reputation for good value accommodation, as you confirm. Thank you.

You are of course correct that there is no lift. Our hotel is ‘listed’ which in London means that there are limits to how much we can alter the fabric of the building, including internally. However, there is always someone on hand to help with luggage if that is needed.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Booked at last minute due to business meeting the following day nearby. Only hotel room in the area for less that £200! This is little more than a rooming house and to call it a hotel is a gross exaggeration.
Got the double room behind reception. Double room meant a double bed bounded on three sides by walls. the bathroom had all necessary fittings but was not much larger than an aeroplane toilet. It was so small and cramped that the door had to be halved and open outwards.
The one bedside light only worked when tapped into service which made me look for evidence of regulatory electrical safety checks. There was no evidence of these.
From this room the door bell could be heard until about 02.00hrs in the morning. Then the sounds and smells of breakfast started at 06.00hrs. The bed was not uncomfortable but all other factors conspired against a good night's sleep.
Breakfast was served by a pleasant staff but was basic and minimal.
There are plenty bars, restaurants and coffee shops nearby to minimise the time spent in the "hotel".

Room Tip: Do not accept the room behind reception at the top of the stairs leading to the basement breakfast r...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank mnmob
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review although I was naturally disappointed to read that there were some aspects of our hotel that you did not like. I am glad that we were able to accommodate you in our last room at the last minute though.

I would like to assure you that Tudor Court is fully up to date with all regulatory requirements – electrical or other.

Connan Gupta

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Lago Vista, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Great location, and looks great from the outside. We were checked in by a very friendly front desk gal (who seemed to be getting scolded for doing a great job). Our room was very moldy, and when I went to plug in the light I discovered a thick layer of dust and roach hotels behind the night stand. I did notice there were vacancies at some of the hotels just a few doors down for less money. Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I am disappointed that you found some aspects of your stay less than perfect but thank you for posting your review. We do pride ourselves on maintaining our rooms at tip-top cleanliness so I am sorry if housekeeping missed an area. Although I am sure this was a one-off error, I will look into it and make sure this doesn’t happen again.

If we were pointing something out to the front desk which didn’t seem right to you then I apologise for creating a poor impression. I am not sure what this would have been about but we are keen to make sure everything goes like clockwork and there would have been a genuine issue with something, I am sure.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The hotel is conveniently located near the underground and a variety of restaurants, but inside the hotel you get what you pay for. The bathrooms are not clean with a lot of lime and calcium build up on the fixtures and walls. The shower curtain was also pretty gross. The bathroom isn't big enough for an adult to turn around in without touching the toilet, wall, sink, etc. I could feel a lot of the springs in the mattress (my friend stayed in the other twin bed and said hers was comfortable). The radiator was emitting heat, so we had to sleep with the window open which allowed for the smokers on the street to perfume our room with that smell :( There is a sign for the door that says please clean my room, but they will come in regardless of whether the sign has been posted or not. My friend and I used the same budget for rooms in Amsterdam and Paris for this trip, but we should have spent more for a nicer stay in London.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room with it's own bathroom, not sure that there is much benefit compared to the r...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelingRambo
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that your stay was not the great experience which you – or I – would expect it to be. We do try our best to provide great value for money accommodation in central London in a great location. I don’t disagree that London is an expensive city but we do have differently sized rooms at different prices to suit all budgets. That is no excuse for lack of comfort though - we have fixed that problem with the springs (and a quick call to reception would have sorted out that issue with the radiator by the way).

Hope to see you again when you are next in London…

Lake Tekapo, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Where shall I start? Other than location, and unless you're deem fit, you should not be staying in this hotel. The lady boss, not sure if she is the owner's wife, is a very rude & condescending woman. The same goes with the owner, a Mr Gupta. We heard him scolding the front desk staff about a guest, despite that we were the guests speaking with the front desk staff at that time. It sets the tone of how the hotel is run. It's up to the initiative of the staff if you want your luggage carried to your room. Mind you, the hotel does not have a lift and it has steep and narrow stairway all the way to 6th floor with your luggage ! If you have an attached bathroom (en suite room), be prepared to lean close to the wall to shower if you don't want to wet the floor outside the shower unit. If you're a caucasian, good luck cos I don't think you can go into the toilet, let alone the shower unit ! You're better off not having an en suite and use the shared bathroom instead. Luckily it was just the start of summer and it was still cool. There's no aircon unit in the room !! Can't find a switch if there's one! We've got to leave the window open in order to let the breeze in. There's not much space for luggage even though we have a triple room. The hotel looks nicely furnished on the outside. It's functional inside the room. Beware if you want to try your luck with this hotel !

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pirly88
Dear Guest,

I sympathise that your initial experience at the front desk would not have given you the best first impression of our hotel and for this I apologise. My only defence is to say that we are a family run hotel and are very passionate about the quality of our service for guests. I can only assume that there was an issue which had to be dealt with straightaway. I am sorry that you were involved.

You are right that we do not have a lift although we will always help with the luggage. Unfortunately our hotel is ‘listed’ which in London means that there are limits to how much we can alter the fabric of the building, including internally and we are keen not to spoil its character. The same applies to fitting aircon to the rooms which for most of the time is not necessary in London.

I am sorry though if you found the room that you had was less convenient for you than you had hoped. Please do come back again, we would be happy to see you. I am sure another of our rooms will be more to your liking.

Blue Mountains, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We thought we'd stay in a different Paddington hotel to our usual one, just for a change. What a mistake.
The location is awesome, a stone's throw from Paddington. But that's where the praise stops. We are in our mid-late fifties, I am a large woman with an arthritic knee, and they put us up on the fourth floor (the very top) with no lifts, and suitcases with 7 weeks worth of belongings in them. Luckily we were out most of the time, but it got to the stage where I was counting the number of journeys I was still to make up or down the narrow stairs.
The room was awfully small. You couldn't walk around the bed unless the windows were closed (they opened in). We had an ensuite, if you could call it that. You could have showered whilst sitting on the loo if you wished.
Breakfast was satisfactory, down more stairs. Beyond that I will say no more. We shan't be back

Room Tip: There is no lift/elevator
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Colleen W
Dear Colleen,

I am glad that the location of our hotel was convenient for you but I was disappointed to read how much of a struggle it was for you with the stairs and sad to read that you feel you made a mistake.

We did not know in advance that you had mobility issues – if we had known, we would have done everything possible to accommodate your needs. As you say, we do not have a lift. We want to maintain the character of the building and I am afraid also that Tudor Court is ‘listed’. We will of course always help with luggage.