“Tired”

Ranked #784 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Lake Jackson, Texas
“Tired”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This hotel is in a good location, and is at a lower price than many in London. It is only two short blocks from the Picadilly tube station.

There is a reason for the low price. The rooms are on about 5 floors, and there is no lift (elevator). The rooms are clean but extremely plain and tired. The en suite bathroom is tiny - imagine an airplane bathroom, and then add a tiny shower stall. If you drop something, you have to open the bathroom door to bend over and pick it up.

Breakfast is offered, but we had to leave to early to try it - no comments.

There is no air conditioning. There is a ceiling fan, but it's out of balance, so not very quiet. NO A/C.

In our room, the hair dryer and bedside lamp didn't work.

The hotel's website inside pictures are a bit deceptive. They are taken with a wide angle lens, so the rooms and lobby look bigger than they really are.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I was delighted by your review and was particularly pleased you liked our beds! Many thanks.

As there are always events on in Hyde Park, we look forward to having the chance of seeing you again.

Connan Gupta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Zealand
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I enjoyed my one night at this hotel very much. I arrived late at night, and was checked in by a very friendly man, who was also kind enough to carry my luggage to my third floor room for me. Since I have sadly not mastered the art of packing lightly, this was no small favour, and I sincerely thank him.

There are really friendly, decent people owning and running this hotel. I work in the accommodation industry so I am pretty picky, and this place was good.

The room itself was good value. My constructive criticism is that trying to book direct with them was really hard work.
I eventually booked via Expedia, as when I emailed them directly I was quoted a more expensive room rate. They didn't tell me via email that there was a cheaper shared bathroom room available but only quoted the pricier en-suite one. I prefer to book directly with hotels, but I didn't want to pay more when Expedia had a shared-bathroom room available at less. I was arriving at midnight and checking out at 10am the next day - no ensuite required.

I was also oddly told I could not book a single night stay in advance (I wasn't yet sure if I wanted one night or three), but Expedia let me do this as well. Email replies were too slow to keep going back and forth - so in the end I could see what I wanted for sale on Expedia and it took me two minutes to book it through them. Surely it would be to the hotel's own benefit to keep direct enquiries rather than letting them find rooms on commission-based booking sites. But that's really up to them as didn't affect me in the end and I got a price I was happy with for one night.
I intend to stay again but next time I will look at Expedia, check the room type I want, then email them stating that I can see the room type is available for this date, at this price and can I book it directly please...then everyone wins. Maybe they could think about putting live-availability booking functionality on their own website to make it easier for direct bookings.

This was the only hiccup in my entire stay. I enjoyed the cooked breakfast, and was checked up on several times to see if I needed more juice/toast etc. Very warm, friendly service. I stayed in room 514. The room itself was fine, quite small (but that's central London for you, and if you stay in a hotel in an older converted building in central London you should really know to expect that quite frankly), but very clean, quiet and tidy with a TV and a basin which was helpful. Steep, narrow stairs were fun and added atmosphere - you can imagine those Victorians walking up and down by lantern light! No lift/elevator but as I said earlier they will help you up with your luggage.

I did feel the wardrobe in the room was far too large for the space, without it the whole room would be much more functional. Pretty much the entire floor space was covered with furniture so I had nowhere to put luggage other than on my bed or directly in front of the door (meaning I had to basically stand on it to get in and out of the bedroom door).
The room size is what it is, but if the huge wardrobe was removed and they just added a small luggage rack, then some coat hooks on the wall, it would be much easier to find somewhere to put luggage, and therefore to be able to move about the room, and it would improve the space issue quite a bit.

Overall: warm and friendly service, and good value. The service in fact completely outweighed any small shortcomings in my eyes - they were just lovely people who couldn't do enough to help out.

I fully plan to come back later in the year (if I can get in - this place is popular), and I really enjoyed my overnight stay.

Room Tip: If you can handle a shared-style bathroom, the basic shared-bathroom rooms were quite a lot cheaper...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

As you are a person in the hospitality industry I was particularly pleased to hear your professional opinion about our hotel.

I am really delighted that overall you liked the hotel and am especially grateful to you for your really nice remarks about our friendly service.

I take on board all of your criticisms – which are certainly very constructive and will look into them.

Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Pros -
Great location - only around the corner from Paddington Station. Even though, we were in the basement, we still had a nice view from our window of the surrounding area.

The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful.

The room was clean and it was quite surprising that they came in our room and made our beds, clean the bathroom while we were out - we were quite grateful for that!

The breakfast was lovely even it was basic.

We had a family room and we found it good for size.

Cons -
I thought charging us £6 a day for wi-fi was dear and I think it should be included with the price we paid.

The stairs to the basement could be quite dangerous if you are not careful.

The bathroom was small and very plastic!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Your comments about our hotel are much appreciated, thank you.

I do take your point about the wi-fi but this does help us to maintain our rooms – at different sizes and different budgets – at very good value-for-money prices for this part of central London.

Again, many thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel was Reasonably priced, basic room but clean. Staff were helpful when I asked for anything. Breakfasts were very average but the location was fantastic. I was on the 5 th floor and was happy to get some exercise walking up stairs but need to note that there is no lift for people with mobility issues.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

I am grateful to you for your review. We do try our best to maintain our reputation for good value accommodation, as you confirm. Thank you.

You are of course correct that there is no lift. Our hotel is ‘listed’ which in London means that there are limits to how much we can alter the fabric of the building, including internally. However, there is always someone on hand to help with luggage if that is needed.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Booked at last minute due to business meeting the following day nearby. Only hotel room in the area for less that £200! This is little more than a rooming house and to call it a hotel is a gross exaggeration.
Got the double room behind reception. Double room meant a double bed bounded on three sides by walls. the bathroom had all necessary fittings but was not much larger than an aeroplane toilet. It was so small and cramped that the door had to be halved and open outwards.
The one bedside light only worked when tapped into service which made me look for evidence of regulatory electrical safety checks. There was no evidence of these.
From this room the door bell could be heard until about 02.00hrs in the morning. Then the sounds and smells of breakfast started at 06.00hrs. The bed was not uncomfortable but all other factors conspired against a good night's sleep.
Breakfast was served by a pleasant staff but was basic and minimal.
There are plenty bars, restaurants and coffee shops nearby to minimise the time spent in the "hotel".

Room Tip: Do not accept the room behind reception at the top of the stairs leading to the basement breakfast r...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank mnmob
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review although I was naturally disappointed to read that there were some aspects of our hotel that you did not like. I am glad that we were able to accommodate you in our last room at the last minute though.

I would like to assure you that Tudor Court is fully up to date with all regulatory requirements – electrical or other.

Connan Gupta

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Lago Vista, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Great location, and looks great from the outside. We were checked in by a very friendly front desk gal (who seemed to be getting scolded for doing a great job). Our room was very moldy, and when I went to plug in the light I discovered a thick layer of dust and roach hotels behind the night stand. I did notice there were vacancies at some of the hotels just a few doors down for less money. Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I am disappointed that you found some aspects of your stay less than perfect but thank you for posting your review. We do pride ourselves on maintaining our rooms at tip-top cleanliness so I am sorry if housekeeping missed an area. Although I am sure this was a one-off error, I will look into it and make sure this doesn’t happen again.

If we were pointing something out to the front desk which didn’t seem right to you then I apologise for creating a poor impression. I am not sure what this would have been about but we are keen to make sure everything goes like clockwork and there would have been a genuine issue with something, I am sure.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The hotel is conveniently located near the underground and a variety of restaurants, but inside the hotel you get what you pay for. The bathrooms are not clean with a lot of lime and calcium build up on the fixtures and walls. The shower curtain was also pretty gross. The bathroom isn't big enough for an adult to turn around in without touching the toilet, wall, sink, etc. I could feel a lot of the springs in the mattress (my friend stayed in the other twin bed and said hers was comfortable). The radiator was emitting heat, so we had to sleep with the window open which allowed for the smokers on the street to perfume our room with that smell :( There is a sign for the door that says please clean my room, but they will come in regardless of whether the sign has been posted or not. My friend and I used the same budget for rooms in Amsterdam and Paris for this trip, but we should have spent more for a nicer stay in London.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room with it's own bathroom, not sure that there is much benefit compared to the r...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelingRambo
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that your stay was not the great experience which you – or I – would expect it to be. We do try our best to provide great value for money accommodation in central London in a great location. I don’t disagree that London is an expensive city but we do have differently sized rooms at different prices to suit all budgets. That is no excuse for lack of comfort though - we have fixed that problem with the springs (and a quick call to reception would have sorted out that issue with the radiator by the way).

Hope to see you again when you are next in London…