Tudor Court Hotel
US$285
Orbitz.com
Excellent 5/5
  • Restaurant
All reviewspaddington stationmr guptaheathrow expresscompact roomquiet squarefull english breakfastshared bathroomtoilet and showerexcellent locationhyde parkplace to sleepoxford streetpubshairdryer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Me and my sister had a lovely stay @ this hotel during our stay for the festival @ Hyde Park. Staff were very friendly and extremely helpful in guiding us to Hyde Park giving us maps to takeaway which was very useful for us and rarely get useful information without even asking in other places I have stayed. It was a stone throw away from bars, restaurants, the tube and Paddington train station but yet reasonably quiet as situated in a pretty square and a little walk away from Hyde Park. The room we stayed in was small but cute with a sink and a nice TV and the most comfy beds we had ever slept in, they really were! Thanks Tudor Court for a comfy stay! :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
connang, Owner at Tudor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Guest,

I was delighted by your review and was particularly pleased you liked our beds! Many thanks.

As there are always events on in Hyde Park, we look forward to having the chance of seeing you again.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

This hotel is in a good location, and is at a lower price than many in London. It is only two short blocks from the Picadilly tube station.

There is a reason for the low price. The rooms are on about 5 floors, and there is no lift (elevator). The rooms are clean but extremely plain and tired. The en suite bathroom is tiny - imagine an airplane bathroom, and then add a tiny shower stall. If you drop something, you have to open the bathroom door to bend over and pick it up.

Breakfast is offered, but we had to leave to early to try it - no comments.

There is no air conditioning. There is a ceiling fan, but it's out of balance, so not very quiet. NO A/C.

In our room, the hair dryer and bedside lamp didn't work.

The hotel's website inside pictures are a bit deceptive. They are taken with a wide angle lens, so the rooms and lobby look bigger than they really are.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I enjoyed my one night at this hotel very much. I arrived late at night, and was checked in by a very friendly man, who was also kind enough to carry my luggage to my third floor room for me. Since I have sadly not mastered the art of packing lightly, this was no small favour, and I sincerely thank him.

There are really friendly, decent people owning and running this hotel. I work in the accommodation industry so I am pretty picky, and this place was good.

The room itself was good value. My constructive criticism is that trying to book direct with them was really hard work.
I eventually booked via Expedia, as when I emailed them directly I was quoted a more expensive room rate. They didn't tell me via email that there was a cheaper shared bathroom room available but only quoted the pricier en-suite one. I prefer to book directly with hotels, but I didn't want to pay more when Expedia had a shared-bathroom room available at less. I was arriving at midnight and checking out at 10am the next day - no ensuite required.

I was also oddly told I could not book a single night stay in advance (I wasn't yet sure if I wanted one night or three), but Expedia let me do this as well. Email replies were too slow to keep going back and forth - so in the end I could see what I wanted for sale on Expedia and it took me two minutes to book it through them. Surely it would be to the hotel's own benefit to keep direct enquiries rather than letting them find rooms on commission-based booking sites. But that's really up to them as didn't affect me in the end and I got a price I was happy with for one night.
I intend to stay again but next time I will look at Expedia, check the room type I want, then email them stating that I can see the room type is available for this date, at this price and can I book it directly please...then everyone wins. Maybe they could think about putting live-availability booking functionality on their own website to make it easier for direct bookings.

This was the only hiccup in my entire stay. I enjoyed the cooked breakfast, and was checked up on several times to see if I needed more juice/toast etc. Very warm, friendly service. I stayed in room 514. The room itself was fine, quite small (but that's central London for you, and if you stay in a hotel in an older converted building in central London you should really know to expect that quite frankly), but very clean, quiet and tidy with a TV and a basin which was helpful. Steep, narrow stairs were fun and added atmosphere - you can imagine those Victorians walking up and down by lantern light! No lift/elevator but as I said earlier they will help you up with your luggage.

I did feel the wardrobe in the room was far too large for the space, without it the whole room would be much more functional. Pretty much the entire floor space was covered with furniture so I had nowhere to put luggage other than on my bed or directly in front of the door (meaning I had to basically stand on it to get in and out of the bedroom door).
The room size is what it is, but if the huge wardrobe was removed and they just added a small luggage rack, then some coat hooks on the wall, it would be much easier to find somewhere to put luggage, and therefore to be able to move about the room, and it would improve the space issue quite a bit.

Overall: warm and friendly service, and good value. The service in fact completely outweighed any small shortcomings in my eyes - they were just lovely people who couldn't do enough to help out.

I fully plan to come back later in the year (if I can get in - this place is popular), and I really enjoyed my overnight stay.

Room Tip: If you can handle a shared-style bathroom, the basic shared-bathroom rooms were quite a lot cheaper than the ensuite single rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

As you are a person in the hospitality industry I was particularly pleased to hear your professional opinion about our hotel.

I am really delighted that overall you liked the hotel and am especially grateful to you for your really nice remarks about our friendly service.

I take on board all of your criticisms – which are certainly very constructive and will look into them.

Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Pros -
Great location - only around the corner from Paddington Station. Even though, we were in the basement, we still had a nice view from our window of the surrounding area.

The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful.

The room was clean and it was quite surprising that they came in our room and made our beds, clean the bathroom while we were out - we were quite grateful for that!

The breakfast was lovely even it was basic.

We had a family room and we found it good for size.

Cons -
I thought charging us £6 a day for wi-fi was dear and I think it should be included with the price we paid.

The stairs to the basement could be quite dangerous if you are not careful.

The bathroom was small and very plastic!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Your comments about our hotel are much appreciated, thank you.

I do take your point about the wi-fi but this does help us to maintain our rooms – at different sizes and different budgets – at very good value-for-money prices for this part of central London.

Again, many thanks.

Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel was Reasonably priced, basic room but clean. Staff were helpful when I asked for anything. Breakfasts were very average but the location was fantastic. I was on the 5 th floor and was happy to get some exercise walking up stairs but need to note that there is no lift for people with mobility issues.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest,

I am grateful to you for your review. We do try our best to maintain our reputation for good value accommodation, as you confirm. Thank you.

You are of course correct that there is no lift. Our hotel is ‘listed’ which in London means that there are limits to how much we can alter the fabric of the building, including internally. However, there is always someone on hand to help with luggage if that is needed.