“Great location, friendly staff, but no hot shower available.”
Review of Tudor Court Hotel

Tudor Court Hotel
Ranked #834 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed Tudor Court Hotel for my vacation in July 2014. Location is great, just 3 minutes walk from Paddington station. There are some minor problems, but I would recommend this hotel if you want to stay in reasonable price before heading to Heathrow.
It is 5 storied building without lift, but staff kindly helped me to carry my suitcase. The room (single room with shared bathroom) was clean, but it looked like a prison cell, and there was no room to open my suitcase. Sadly, shared shower seemed to be out of order, and hot shower was not available for 2 days.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank yanyan-doggie
connang, Manager at Tudor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest

We appreciate your kind and positive feedback about our location, staff and cleanliness. We are sorry that you did not bring to our attention that you did not manage to get hot water in the shower. We have 24 hours hot water (never stopped). Our receptionist would have assisted you to get the hot water running, had you brought to his atention. We are so sorry for this.

The Hotel Building is Grade 11 listed building and being so the stairs on the top two floors were made narrow. We are glad that our staff carried your bags. We have different type of rooms to suite all budgets. You reserved a small basic single with shared bathroom, it is small room indeed. Hope we will be able to serve you better on your next visit to our beautiful city.

Thank you agaih.

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 July 2014

+ Location excellent, staff friendly, breakfast ok

-We were in a basement room, very hot no air con.
Bathroom ceiling was black with mould. No lift and very difficult to carry large suitcase down stairs.
Wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, for your feedback and for your kind comments about our location and our staff. That is much appreciated.

You are right, we don’t have a lift in the building. This is to preserve its Georgian character, which most guests like. Our staff will of course always help with the luggage though.

I have seen the small patch in the bathroom ceiling you mention and that has been put right. Thank for bringing it to our attention.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Tudor Court Hotel is a throw-back to staying in London in the late 20th century, with small rooms, tiny showers, and lack of modern amenities. It's very convenient to Paddington Station and has a good choice of restaurants adjacent or nearby. It's somewhat noisy and the ambiance is definitely dated, but the staff is both friendly and helpful. Also their WiFi needs upgrading, but the included breakfast isn't bad.

Additionally there is a very nice 'urban oasis' park right across the street that is wonderful and it's an easy stroll to wonderful Hyde Park.

Prices are negotiable, so shop around at the various consolidator sites for the best deal.

Room Tip: Avoid the main floor (rooms are like Hobbit holes). If you don't mind narrow stairs and it's...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed in a single room with a shared bathroom. It is not very inexpensive in a general sense, yet I think the charge is reasonable for a hotel room in London. After all, London's hotel is very expensive. The location is good, close to Paddington Station. The room is very small with no desk and no chair. You cannot do anything virtually except watching the TV and working/playing with the internet on the bed.A good thing is free WiFi. No elevators, and stairs are very narrow. Only a couple of shared toilet/shower rooms, but I could use it whenever I wished to. With no places for a towel, soap and so on in the shower space, it was not easy to take a shower, though. A complimentary breakfast was English breakfast, which was just okay. Staff members were friendly and helpful. I believe the hotel is fine for one night or two if all you need is a place for a sleep.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 福岡Ek
connang, Manager at Tudor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback and for your kind remarks about our location and how good value we are for a central London hotel. Your kind comments about our staff and our breakfast are also much appreciated. And I am glad you were able to make use of our free wifi.

I was disappointed therefore to read that despite these good points you still rated us only 2 star overall and for value. We have a wide range of rooms of different sizes. You reserved one of our small single basic rooms with shared bathroom facilities on the hall. All our other rooms have private facilities. Please do come and stay with us again and try one of the larger rooms, which although a little more expensive, we believe still provide excellent value.

As to lack of an elevator at Tudor Court, our building is a characterful Georgian building with, I do accept, narrow stairs. These are part of its charm. Installing an elevator would detract from the beauty of the building, which most of our guests really like. And of course our staff are only too happy to help with luggage.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you again the next time you are in London.

Regards,

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Thanks to a Rick Steves travel book, for recommending this good value hotel. It was perfect for our overnight stay in London -- a stone's throw from Paddington Station and the Heathrow Express, good restaurants right down the block, super friendly staff. The room was extremely small, but we were prepared for that from the reviews we had read -- and it was all we needed for our one-night stopover.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I visited the hotel during the last week of June whilst I visited the tennis at Wimbledon. I went for the cheapest option, single room, no on suite.

Let's start with the positives:-

Excellent location, 2 minute walk to underground.
Lots of restaurants and fast food on your doorstep.
The breakfast was very enjoyable, staff very polite and friendly.
My room cleaned daily and was very clean.

The negatives:-

The room was just too small, just enough room to fit a single bed and half a wardrobe.
The weather was very warm so had to leave window open, very noisy outside due to busy location.
No lift ...I was on located on the 6th floor, lots of steep steps!

My conclusion, I paid £54 per night with excellent breakfast included. The hotel is very professional, the staff are a credit to the hotel. Excellent value for June and the area. I personally prefer a bigger room but would recommend if you are looking for a short stay 1-2 day break.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
connang, Owner at Tudor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a positive and beauiul views about the location, our staff and services.
We are sorry about the size of a small single basic room. As the name suggest, it is small. All the buildings in Norfolk Square are similar built, are near 200 year old (none of these B & B hotels have lifts). For your future visits, please book a compact double en suite (you must appreciate the fact that space in central London is at Premium).

Please give us a chance to serve you again in the near future.

Regards

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I just spent two nights at this hotel. I booked based on reviews and tripadvisor awards. I am from Canada, am pretty easygoing and don't like to complain, nor was I expecting the Ritz, or even a Holiday Inn, but I could not wait to leave this hotel, and can't recommend it. It's location is very convenient, without question, there are lots of places to eat nearby, and the employees were friendly, but the room I was given was awful. Maybe I was just given the worst room, maybe rooms on the other floors are better? My room was in the basement, I had to duck my head and maneouver my luggage down a steep stairway. There was no a/c, we had to leave our window open as it was so hot in there, and put up with getting bitten by flies cause there was no screen on the window, which I was afraid to open too wide as we could hear "critters" in the back alley. I went to use the kettle to make a tea and it was covered in a greasy film of dust, and the room was dingy, other than clean sheets it didn't look like much else had been cleaned. My daughter burnt her hand trying to adjust the hot water in the shower, the faucet got very hot. I paid $230 Canadian a night, and maybe that's what you get for that amount, I am not sure, but personally I would think you could do much better and in hindsight I would have paid a lot more to have been more comfortable in another hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bernadette M
connang, Owner at Tudor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback and for your very kind remarks about the location and convenience of our hotel and especially about our staff.

I am sorry though to read that you were shocked at the good reviews left by most of our guests, brought about by you not liking your room. It is one of the 3 twin en suite rooms we have. It is actually quite a nice room, with most guests we have had liking it, as it more spacious than the one on the 2nd floor with a good size bathroom.

I don’t wish to appear defensive in my comments because I do respect your opinion and we always learn something from what every guest tells us. I particularly accept your point about there being no aircon – a feature we have not installed in order to maintain the character of our building, which most people like. Similarly, we don’t have screens on our windows, which I know some guests from North America prefer but most British hotels don’t have them. There is a curtain in that room which would have helped.

Referring to your comment on your shower, all of ours have pretty basic controls – cold to hot and on and off but it is always best to be careful, particularly if a child is using it first. And finally, I am not sure I recognise your description of the cleanliness you found in the room - it was thoroughly cleaned immediately before you and your daughter were checked in.

Having said all that, if you had mentioned any of these issues as a problem for you during your stay I am sure we could have accommodated you in a more suitable room elsewhere in our hotel.

Regards,