“Oh dear, there's just too much wrong (in what should be an ok place)”

Royal Guest House 2
Ranked #749 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“Oh dear, there's just too much wrong (in what should be an ok place)”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

So let's start with the positives... Decor ok, neutral colours, easy access into the hotel entrance and reception seemed to be manned at all times. Check in was easy, and checkout not complicated though I had to request a receipt, which I would normally expect to be provided for anything which cost £65. At £65 a night it's a relatively cheap night in London, though as you will see, I think this is one of those "You get what you pay for" examples.

The entrance is clean and stickers on the door shout about their 5 Star hygiene (which is a great achievement) though I did not eat here. I went out of the hotel for food and highly recommend a Tapas place just a few doors away.

I should also say, I did not register a complaint with a manager. This was a business trip, with a late check-in, and no time to be rearranging accommodation. I would have moved elsewhere if I'd have turned up here on vacation!

Pictures give a good idea what to expect, so attached are a few of them, but a few more words also...

This place proclaims on their entrance door way to be Trip Advisor rated, but the part of the sticker with the rating on has been cut off (see picture)

Rooms on the 5th floor are a long way up. There is no lift.

The room I had was small. Ok for 1, but there is no space on the "other side" of the double bed. There is a fridge, but I was surprised to see a half eaten sandwich in it (pictured). There is a sort of hospitality tray and a kettle... I did not try them out.

It was a very warm room. They know this, as evidenced by the provided fan (which is thoughtful) but it's a shame it is caked in dust. Would it hurt to brush or vacuum it? Vacuuming the floor properly, just occasionally enough to leave it clean would be a good idea too (see pictures). The wardrobe is propped up with some cardboard; better than it rocking about I suppose.

Bed sheets. If there's one thing to get right, it's clean linen. Not sure what the mark on the top sheet is. I didn't look inside the bedding. Slept on top. It was warm enough to, and I felt more hygienic not getting nearer to the mattress! See picture.

The room TV had a good picture. There is good provision of mains sockets. There is Wi-Fi, though not suitable for my laptop. I did manage to connect an iPad and deal with some emails. Signal strength variable but manageable.

The clean towels were small but adequate and 2 seats provided for single occupancy.

The bathroom had a toilet which I advise you close the lid on before flushing, otherwise the splash-back hits your legs/feet. The management are obviously environmentally aware... They left me the last occupants half used soap bar, as well as their fridge sandwich. Plenty of loo paper rolls, though I suspect this means it is replenished rarely in bulk to save smaller replenishment which good places do almost daily.

The shower is actually ok, but just ok. Unfortunately, it's very compact, and it is extremely easy to knock the on/off temperature selector, resulting in cold or very hot water, or no water. Also, if you shower when presumably others are doing so, the water flow does slow and even completely stop.

On night 1 I kept the bathroom light on for the fan, but there was an unpleasant smell (like sewage) and I think it must drawer the smell up into the room. Day 2 I left it off... Much much better.

I looked in the bedside drawer when I was leaving, to check I had put nothing there. Part of a Durex condom packet in it. Nice!

Overall, would I stay again? No, absolutely not. I would review Trip Advisor in more detail in future and pick somewhere better for the price.

Room Tip: Unless you have little to carry, and if you don't mind the need for a fan on a warm day/night, d...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank hancouk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We spent 3 nights here in August. The location is very convenient, being sufficiently close to the City (less than 15 minutes by tube) and with 4 tube stations within a 10 minutes’ walk distance. Even with a couple of heavy suitcases, it was easy to get there from Hammersmith Station. Our room was at ground floor and facing the road, just to the side of the B&B entrance. Nonetheless the windows soundproofing was sufficient and the road traffic noise was not unacceptable. The room was quite… small (!), with 2 single beds and 1 double in a space adequate for the latter only, but we managed to arrange our baggage and still had some place to move. The bathroom was very small, with a microscopic washbasin so that even the normal morning operations were quite difficult. The shower furniture was rusty and the pipe was leaking abundantly. The breakfast was low standard: we expected the typical full English bf, but only found commercial products (orange juice directly from the supermarket container, ordinary jams, cereals), toasts and scrambled eggs. A machine served the beverages.
The place is only acceptable for a short staying, averagely clean, the price is medium-low but you get what you pay for. Friendly personnel. Note: “Los Molinos” Spanish restaurant at 1 minute walk (very good!)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Fam1966
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My hubby and I spent 8 dreadful nights here recently ..... we had pre-booked but should have been alerted by the sign at the reception that there would be no refunds as a clear indicator that many guests must try to seek one !
The first room they showed us would have been cramped for single occupancy - there was not even enough floor space to have put our suitcase down to keep some of our clothes in (the wardrobe would probably not have fitted more than 5 hanging items in).
We were offered a slightly bigger alternative on the ground floor -which was still small and meant moving onto the bed to pass each other !
They did replace the towels every day with clean fluffy ones but even there they slipped up as the towels were only small bath towels and we only got one each so every other day when I washed my hair it was dripping by the time I finished using it.
They seem to have working residents as each day I was woken by 3 different sets of running down the stairs and letting the front door go bang between 5:50 and 6:05 am.
Just as I was settling back to sleep after this the kitchen staff arrived - again letting the door bang, this was about 6:55 so they must start at 7am . Our ground floor room backed onto the kitchen so after this was the chatter of the staff and clatter of crockery so no chance of catching up on sleep !
The breakfast was neither English or continental as it consisted of help yourself to long life juice, tinned fruit salad, budget cereals and milk, butter and jams and rinks from a machine. You were served with a choice of fried or scrambled eggs, beans (except the second day we were there when they had run out of beans half an hour before the end of breakfast) and toast.
It was all a bit of a scramble and all the foodstuffs were of the value or budget range. Out of the 8 days we were there we only ate there 4 times and one of those was only cereal and toast prior to getting something more substantial elsewhere.
It is in the cheaper bracket and was suitably located for what we wanted a hotel for but I would never stay there again !

Room Tip: Both rooms we saw were tiny and we spoke to someone else staying there who also had a very small roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Maybe I am wrong but when I go to a Hotel/B&B, I expect a breakfast, not a excuse for one. Being offered 2 fried eggs or scrambled with toast, does not equate to a hot breakfast in my eyes.
No bacon, sausages, tomatoes ,beans ect
Continental should be at least fresh bread, ham. cheese ect. Not scrambled eggs, yoghurts, orange juice and coffee. I only bothered to go to breakfast once in my stay, which really made my stay room only. The room was hot, (They did have a portable fan in room) but the duvet too heavy to keep on all night. Unfortunately they have extension and building works to both hotels either side causing noise. Obviously not the fault of hotel but still not nice.
Only positive LOCATION.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The receptionist is very friendly, he takes very good care of our luggage for free. The hotel location is very convenient to explore the central london. We stay there for one night on 23th June and checked out the next day to explore central london, but don't want to carry our luggage with us. Fortunately, the receptionist man very kindly offered free care of our luggage for almost 12 hours, which is really an add-value to the customers. By the way, the room fees for our triple room is only 62 GBP, which is really a deal in the Zone 2.
Now I miss the receptionist very much! He cannot be too friendly!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

If you bear in mind that this is a guest house and NOT a hotel and don't expect too much then I don't think you will be too disapointed. It is a great base for a couple of nights.
The rooms are small and very basic although they do have a fridge, which is handy to store picnic things, water etc
Breakfast is included but again very basic, if you want the 'full works' and a huge breakfast selection then this is not the place for you.
Shepards Bush tube station on the central line is about a 15-20 minute walk away as is Olympia Exhibition Halls.
For a base to sleep and if you are on a budget and not expecting 5* facilities then this GUEST HOUSE would be fine. Just don't expect too much and you won't be disapointed
*NOTE*
The Royal Guest House 2 and the Saba are one and the same, although there are 2 different signs over 3 doors they are connected inside, there is one reception (that is closed after about 10pm) and one breakfast room

Breakfast can be a bit hectic so get there early!!!

Room Tip: The Guest house is on a very busy road so it is going to be noisy, we had a room at the back on the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Karen C
Reviewed 14 June 2013

No problem with staff,room or breakfast ,just had a sleepless night,guests slamming doors keeping us awake most of the night and in the morning,shower was hot,clean towels with free shampoo,shower door was old needs replacing but not too much of a problem,not a great outlook of the bedroom window view of kitchen area,but then again you only sleep in the room you don't need a view ,don't really know why its got some negative comments in reviews as we didn't think it was a bad hotel to stay in for the price we paid for the room and breakfast .so give this hotel a chance,remember you get what you pay for??

• Stayed June 2013