“Nice outside...Don't go in!!”

Chelsea Guest House
Ranked #332 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Room was tired and dated....scared to open windows as the the frames were rotten. I know it is London but this place needs the hotel inspector. If this had been a weekend away with my girlfriend rather then business I would have walked away.
Best thing is that it was only one night and plenty of places to go down the road.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank northumberlandlad
Chelsea Guest H... L, Customer Service at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Northumberlandlad,
Many thanks for your review.
We do appreciate when our customers share with us their thoughts about their stay at our Guest House.
This is precious for us in order to improve our services.
We are undergoing some renovations within the guest house in order to give to some of our older rooms a fresh and shining look. Of course, most of our rooms are brand new and ready to welcome our guests and satisfy their needs, whether they are here for their business trip, a romantic weekend or to discover the city. That is why we offer different type of rooms: single, twin, double and family rooms, both standard and premium to cater for everyone’s needs. We do believe we offer a great balance between value and comfort and we do wish you to visit us again and give us the chance to show you our latest improvements and best allocate you with regards to your specific requests. I am sure you will love one of our premium rooms, which (with just a little price difference), offers brand new furniture, Hypnos beds, tea and coffee making facilities.
Please do contact myself personally for your next reservation, so I can ensure we tailor your stay just for you.
Kind Regards
Sofia

Write a ReviewReviews (1,066)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We booked into this guest house for one night to go to a concert in nearby Clapham Common. The room was very small with barely any room to move around the bed. The bathroom was claustrophobic and difficult to move around in. There were only two pillows on the double bed and the room as a whole looked very tired and grubby. In addition we were given a ground floor room, right beside the main entrance and overlooking the street. The room was very warm but we couldn't leave the window and curtains open to air it out as every person walking past could see in.

On the plus side transport links were good enough and the area is quite quiet and pleasant. Clapham is about 10 minutes walk away with loads of bars, shops and restaurants.

I was a bit disappointed and while this room was cheap (for London) it could have been a bit more inviting. I can't say I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gemma H
Chelsea Guest H... L, Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear GemmaF,

Thank you for writing a review about our guest house.

I am saddened to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us, as we believe we offer comfortable, clean, affordable and friendly accommodation.

Our team are always on hand 24 hours a day to help with any concerns guests have with their room, and they are able to offer extra pillows, fans, towels, information, directions and anything else our guests may need during their stay.

As you may have read or seen, we are currently undergoing refurbishment works on all of our rooms, and I do hope you will return to stay with us once again, so we can show you our improvements. Perhaps on your next visit we can suggest one of our newly completed premium rooms, these rooms are slightly higher priced, but come with the added luxury of modern bathrooms, spacious bedrooms, royally approved Hypnos beds, tea and coffee making facilities and more.

We do hope we will get the chance to see you again soon.

Many Thanks,

Danielle

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The guest house was about 15 minutes walk from the tube station down quiet residential streets. It was located on a main road next to McDonalds but the only noise I heard were planes. The reception allowed us to check in a bit early as our room was ready which was useful. Our room was small but adequate. It was clean but could have done with painting as this was chipped off in places. We were in the basement of the second building, the front of which was monitored by cctv. The biggest disappointment was that the reception didn't open until 15:00hrs on the Sunday (our day of departure) which meant we could not store our bags there and collect them later. This rather spoilt the day we had planned sightseeing in the city as we had heavy overnight bags to carry round.

Room Tip: There are two buildings we had room 1, a twin room in the basement of the second building. This had...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear HertfordshireMaryT,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our guest house.

We are always pleased to see that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. As you mention, we are a short 15 minute walk away from Clapham North tube station, however because of our excellent location, guests are also able to reach us via the overground, bus, trains and underground. Our team are on hand to give our guests the best directions for their particular trip, so in future, please do not hesitate to call or email us so we can help you get to us in the quickest, easiest and most direct route.

We are currently undergoing refurbishments through all of our rooms, though as we are a big guest house, this is taking time as we want it to be perfect for our guests, as you mentioned in your review , the noise levels are minimum and this includes from our building team who are trained to ensure their work does not affect any of our guests stays with us.

We are sorry to read about you having to take the luggage on your last day, our reception is closed on Sundays from 07:00-15:00, however there are always a team of housekeepers who are able to help any of our guests and would be more than happy to take your luggage to storage whilst you enjoy the last day of your trip to London.

We do hope you will come back and visit us again on your next trip to London.

Many Thanks,

Danielle

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The staff were the plus point and I guess I would use it again if I was down that way. We selected it as we were doing the London to Brighton bike ride. It is a gr8 location for this. Rooms are warm in the summer and so the windows have to be open which means city noise through the night - take ear plugs.
It was clean and the rooms are basic but nice. Bathroom was also ok.
Only point I would make is that they charge you to park there £20 PV, but they do not tell you this till you get there.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are warm in the summer, take ear plugs and open the windows
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank andy7979us
Chelsea Guest H... L, Reception at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Andy7979us,
Thanks you so much for your review.

All the team thank you for your lovely comments about our hard work. We are always proud of our job when our customers leave the Guest House happy and willing to come back in the future.

We are on track to refurbish more of our rooms, and we do hope we will have the chance to show you our latest improvements.

Cleanliness is our top priority, along with outstanding customer service, and we work hard to keep it at a high standard. So, thank you so much for appreciating our efforts.

I’ m sorry to read of your disappointment about the parking. We do have several parking spots available on request and we are always very keen to inform our guests about the charge of £20, which we believe, is extremely reasonable for parking in London. That is why we ask our guests to book the parking space in advance by contacting the hotel directly. We do hope this is not a deterrent for your next stay with us.

Thanks once again for your review and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed at this Guest House for 4 nights in April 2014 and paid about US $285.00. The front desk personnel were all very friendly and helpful to me, particularly when I asked questions about buses and London Tube (my first 4 days in London).

Bus Services - five minutes away from the Guest House is the stop for Bus # 87 that goes to Vauxhall Tube Station and Westminster where most tourist attractions are located.

Restaurant - McDonald Restaurant is located next to it.

DON'T LIKE:

BED SHEETS - other than the small orange sheet/spread (?), there are no other sheets (flat and fitted ones) and blankets provided to me.

ROOM - very narrow and small. Does not appear to be clean.

MIRROR - located at high level, I would need a stool to see my face (I'm 5 ft 5 inches tall).

LIGHTING - very dim.

My London Sweat Shirt - I emailed them to let them know that I forgot my new sweat shirt in the bathroom and would get it back when I return to London in 2 weeks. I could not get anyone to tell me what happened to my sweat shirt when I inquired about it again.

With more experience traveling in London, I would definitely NOT STAY again in this hotel due to reasons listed above.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LolaGo1
Chelsea Guest H... L, Customer Service at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Lolago1,
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion with us.
It was lovely to talk with you while you were at the Chelsea Guest House. Our reception team is not just fully trained to provide all the information our guests need to enjoy this beautiful capital, but it is also very happy to do it! This is our job and we are passionate about it. It is very nice that you have noticed it and written about it. So, thank you again.
As you underlined, the location of the guest house is amazing to reach the city centre with a short bus ride or by tube, and the nearby area offers lots of nice restaurants, for all tastes and pockets. Our reception team are always ready to best address our guests to the restaurant to suit all tastes.
I am sorry to read you did not find some things to your likings. With regards to the bed linings, we would have been happy to provide you with an extra sheet or cover, though the fitted one with the cover for the duvet is the typical English bedding style and, of course it is changed for every new customer and every 2 days for long stays. At check-in we always ask our guests to return to the reception if there is anything that they need and I am sorry you did not take advantage of this during your stay, as we could have amended this issue.
The light bulbs we use in the guest house are energy efficient, as we want to improve our green footprint on the earth, therefore they do tend to be slower at brightening up, but we believe that the majority of our guest will be happy that we are trying to go green.
About the other issues you experienced, I can ensure that your message will be passed to the managers that will take a look into them, to check that our cleanliness standards will be kept high.
Our building team is already hard at work to renovate our rooms and to ensure we are keeping up with our main focus for our guests, whilst ensuring not to disturb our guests’ stay. Most of our rooms have been already refurbished and modernized.
And let me apologize for your shirt. Although the housekeeping team clean all our rooms deeply every day, and we have a lost property procedure, unfortunately it has not been found. It appears a communication fault has occurred and that is why you have not received any information about it. This should never happen, and we will make sure it will not happen again. The managers have already looked into this matter to make sure any other fault of this kind will not occur again.
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and for your review. We do hope you might re-consider our Hotel in future light of this information, and in that case we would be pleased to listen to your requests and find the best solution for you.
Kindest Regards

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here with several friends for two nights while we enjoyed a weekend in London. The rooms are spread across two Georgian buildings next door to each other. My first impression was the lack of space in and around the rooms and the pretty straightforward state of them overall - don't expect fancy touches or even tea/coffee facilities for instance.

The rooms are small with just enough room for two single beds and a small bedside chest cabinet. There was a decent flatscreen tv on the wall which was good. The bathroom was very small indeed, not much room to move about and a bit difficult to dry off after a shower. The beds were basic, duvet and pillow left a bit to be desired. There were comfortable enough though.

A couple of maintenance issues while I was there - the curtain rail was almost falling apart and I had to be very careful when drawing ot opening them. Also on the first morning the lights in the bedroom and bathroom failed. I reported this to reception who were pleasant enough and said they would get it fixed. When i returned to the room a few hours later the bedroom light worked but not the bathroom - this made it very difficult to use the bathroom as there was no natural light.

Overall it was reasonably priced (for London) and was in an ok location but I would have expected a bit more in terms of basic quality.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Chelsea Guest H... L, Customer Service at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Matt C,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write on you recent stay at The Chelsea Guest House.
We consider ourselves as a good value accommodation, which offers the comforts our guests may need during their stay, located in a well-connected area, with buses and tube going straight to the city centre with a short ride. As I mentioned, we offer basic standards rooms, single, double or twin, triple and family and then we also offer premium rooms, provided with brand new furniture, royally approved beds, tea and coffee making facilities, toiletries and more space than the standards.
Also, since we take our guests’ comments in high regard and use them to make important inputs to improve our services, we are currently undergoing some renovations to the guest house. It would be lovely if you came back to visit us again and gave us the chance to impress you with one of our newly renovated rooms.
Thank you once again for your comment.
Best Regards

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here in March to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday in London. Budget room booked and so no tea/coffee making facilites which was a bit disappointing however everything else was excellent. Booked in late evening and was greeted by a friendly receptionist. Having mentioned when booking it was my daughter's birthday a lovely surprise was had when she went to her room to find 'swan towels', a box of chocolates and a birthday card from the staff. The following mornings found even more friendly receptionists. The rooms we had were at the front of the hotel but they were really quiet and no noise was heard from the McDonald's next door. Excellent bus routes down to the tube station. This not a top brand place to stay but the staff are certainly second to none and if you want to save money on accommodation and use it only as a base it is ideally situated and I would definitely use again

Room Tip: If staying in the budget rooms make sure you have your drinks with you as have no tea making facilit...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear 67splodge,
A big thank from the reception team for your glowing review.
At the Chelsea Guest House we love to make feel our guests special, whether they are here for a special occasion, like you and your daughter, or simply to discover the city or on their business trip. We constantly try to keep our guest needs and requests our priority.
We feel very proud when we find out, through such positive feedback like yours, that we are doing a good job. So, many thanks once again, we all feel inspired to continue our efforts.
The Guest House, is very well-connected to the city centre by bus, tube and overground and it is also very close to the amazing area of Clapham.
We believe we cater for many people, with different budgets and needs looking for accommodation in London that is why we offer different kinds of rooms: from the basic Standards rooms to the Premium rooms that offer more luxurious surroundings, royally approved beds, toiletries and tea and coffee making facilities.
We hope that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay in London and we do hope you will come to visit us again and experience one of our Premium rooms.
Warm Regards