“Fine for one night”

Chelsea Guest House
Ranked #321 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Fine for one night”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The room was small and stuffy as there was no ventilation and I was too scared to leave my window open because the area seemed a bit dodgy.
But I was pleased with my stay as it was clean, tidy, and not too far from the city.
I only stayed for one night whilst backpacking so it served me well.

Stayed July 2014
Chelsea Guest H... L, Customer Service at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Isis M,
Thank you very much for you review.
We love to hear from all our customers!
Chelsea Guest House is an excellent place to use as a base for one night as well as for a long stay or for a romantic weekend. Of course this all depends on what type of room you decide to book. That’s why we love when our customers or potential ones call us directly, so we can advise them after listening to their specific requests and tailor their stay for them.
We are so pleased to read that you find our Guest House clean and tidy. The housekeeping team thank you for this.
We are also well connected to the city centre, by bus, tube and overground.
It is a pity you did not take the chance to discover the vibrant area of Clapham, where the Guest House is based, perhaps on your next visit we can direct you and you can enjoy all it has to offer, please ask the receptionist to address you somewhere nice nearby. All of us would love to do that and direct you to the hidden gems of this area.
We hope to see you soon!
Best Regards
Sofia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2014

1) the rooms are super small and we barely have room to out our luggage anywhere. There are big pieces of furniture in the room which makes it that much smaller. You can brush your teeth in the sink and wash your hands in the shower all while sitting on the toilet -- thats how small the washroom is. I know they are undergoing construction to fix it up or whatever but unless its a tear down the room size ain't gunna change.
-- also, were woken up with construction noises and workers screaming.

2) it's kinda in the ghetto. I would not call this central at all. There are buses near by that's a 20 minute ride to the city centre but the station is a little bit of a walk. The main issue were experiencing is that London has changed their collection policy, meaning buses do not accept money, only tickets. You can only purchase tickets from the station and the ticket machines don't let you buy for the next day. Like I said the station is pretty far which makes the location less convenient.

I know the hotel has talked about how it's eventually going to look and that you can rent luxury room for more money but the fact is I definitely would pay more because of the location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joanna1221
Dear Joanna1221,
Thank you for spending the time to write your review.
I am sorry to read the room you stayed in wasn’t of your liking and you have been woken up by the workers. I will make sure this issue will be looked into immediately.
As you said, we are undergoing some renovations which, cannot alter the overall size of the room, but do include more compact furniture, and the rooms have a better layout overall, giving the feel of a more spacious room.
For all our guests, there is always the possibility to stay in a more comfortable and spacious room, by paying a small price difference. I am referring to our premium rooms, provided with more luxurious surroundings, brand new furniture’s and tea and coffee making facilities. We want to meet everyone’s needs and pockets that is why we like to offer different types of rooms depending on the requests and needs of our guests.
We see our Guest House as well located and well connected to the city centre: the overground station and the bus stop is at the door’s step and we have two underground stations in a walking distance or connected with the buses. The two train stations nearby are only 10 minutes ride by bus. I am really sorry to read you haven’t been able to purchase your ticket in advance, normally it is possible to do that from any machine at the overground or underground station, or of course you can use the oyster card which is the cheapest way to travel around London.
What we want to offer is a nice, relaxing stay for our customers in a location which is just far enough away from the crowded centre and in the lovely area of Clapham, full of life and things to do, but close enough to be within the centre of London in 10 minutes.
We do hope to welcome you again, and if you contact me directly I can ensure that we find the room best suited to your needs, and ensure your stay with us is tailored to you.
Warm Regards
Northumberland
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Room was tired and dated....scared to open windows as the the frames were rotten. I know it is London but this place needs the hotel inspector. If this had been a weekend away with my girlfriend rather then business I would have walked away.
Best thing is that it was only one night and plenty of places to go down the road.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank northumberlandlad
Dear Northumberlandlad,
Many thanks for your review.
We do appreciate when our customers share with us their thoughts about their stay at our Guest House.
This is precious for us in order to improve our services.
We are undergoing some renovations within the guest house in order to give to some of our older rooms a fresh and shining look. Of course, most of our rooms are brand new and ready to welcome our guests and satisfy their needs, whether they are here for their business trip, a romantic weekend or to discover the city. That is why we offer different type of rooms: single, twin, double and family rooms, both standard and premium to cater for everyone’s needs. We do believe we offer a great balance between value and comfort and we do wish you to visit us again and give us the chance to show you our latest improvements and best allocate you with regards to your specific requests. I am sure you will love one of our premium rooms, which (with just a little price difference), offers brand new furniture, Hypnos beds, tea and coffee making facilities.
Please do contact myself personally for your next reservation, so I can ensure we tailor your stay just for you.
Kind Regards
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We booked into this guest house for one night to go to a concert in nearby Clapham Common. The room was very small with barely any room to move around the bed. The bathroom was claustrophobic and difficult to move around in. There were only two pillows on the double bed and the room as a whole looked very tired and grubby. In addition we were given a ground floor room, right beside the main entrance and overlooking the street. The room was very warm but we couldn't leave the window and curtains open to air it out as every person walking past could see in.

On the plus side transport links were good enough and the area is quite quiet and pleasant. Clapham is about 10 minutes walk away with loads of bars, shops and restaurants.

I was a bit disappointed and while this room was cheap (for London) it could have been a bit more inviting. I can't say I'd stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gemma F
Chelsea Guest H... L, Manager at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear GemmaF,

Thank you for writing a review about our guest house.

I am saddened to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us, as we believe we offer comfortable, clean, affordable and friendly accommodation.

Our team are always on hand 24 hours a day to help with any concerns guests have with their room, and they are able to offer extra pillows, fans, towels, information, directions and anything else our guests may need during their stay.

As you may have read or seen, we are currently undergoing refurbishment works on all of our rooms, and I do hope you will return to stay with us once again, so we can show you our improvements. Perhaps on your next visit we can suggest one of our newly completed premium rooms, these rooms are slightly higher priced, but come with the added luxury of modern bathrooms, spacious bedrooms, royally approved Hypnos beds, tea and coffee making facilities and more.

We do hope we will get the chance to see you again soon.

Many Thanks,

Danielle
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The guest house was about 15 minutes walk from the tube station down quiet residential streets. It was located on a main road next to McDonalds but the only noise I heard were planes. The reception allowed us to check in a bit early as our room was ready which was useful. Our room was small but adequate. It was clean but could have done with painting as this was chipped off in places. We were in the basement of the second building, the front of which was monitored by cctv. The biggest disappointment was that the reception didn't open until 15:00hrs on the Sunday (our day of departure) which meant we could not store our bags there and collect them later. This rather spoilt the day we had planned sightseeing in the city as we had heavy overnight bags to carry round.

Room Tip: There are two buildings we had room 1, a twin room in the basement of the second building. This had...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear HertfordshireMaryT,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our guest house.

We are always pleased to see that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. As you mention, we are a short 15 minute walk away from Clapham North tube station, however because of our excellent location, guests are also able to reach us via the overground, bus, trains and underground. Our team are on hand to give our guests the best directions for their particular trip, so in future, please do not hesitate to call or email us so we can help you get to us in the quickest, easiest and most direct route.

We are currently undergoing refurbishments through all of our rooms, though as we are a big guest house, this is taking time as we want it to be perfect for our guests, as you mentioned in your review , the noise levels are minimum and this includes from our building team who are trained to ensure their work does not affect any of our guests stays with us.

We are sorry to read about you having to take the luggage on your last day, our reception is closed on Sundays from 07:00-15:00, however there are always a team of housekeepers who are able to help any of our guests and would be more than happy to take your luggage to storage whilst you enjoy the last day of your trip to London.

We do hope you will come back and visit us again on your next trip to London.

Many Thanks,

Danielle
northants
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The staff were the plus point and I guess I would use it again if I was down that way. We selected it as we were doing the London to Brighton bike ride. It is a gr8 location for this. Rooms are warm in the summer and so the windows have to be open which means city noise through the night - take ear plugs.
It was clean and the rooms are basic but nice. Bathroom was also ok.
Only point I would make is that they charge you to park there £20 PV, but they do not tell you this till you get there.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are warm in the summer, take ear plugs and open the windows
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank andy7979us
Chelsea Guest H... L, Reception at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Andy7979us,
Thanks you so much for your review.

All the team thank you for your lovely comments about our hard work. We are always proud of our job when our customers leave the Guest House happy and willing to come back in the future.

We are on track to refurbish more of our rooms, and we do hope we will have the chance to show you our latest improvements.

Cleanliness is our top priority, along with outstanding customer service, and we work hard to keep it at a high standard. So, thank you so much for appreciating our efforts.

I’ m sorry to read of your disappointment about the parking. We do have several parking spots available on request and we are always very keen to inform our guests about the charge of £20, which we believe, is extremely reasonable for parking in London. That is why we ask our guests to book the parking space in advance by contacting the hotel directly. We do hope this is not a deterrent for your next stay with us.

Thanks once again for your review and we hope to see you again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed at this Guest House for 4 nights in April 2014 and paid about US $285.00. The front desk personnel were all very friendly and helpful to me, particularly when I asked questions about buses and London Tube (my first 4 days in London).

Bus Services - five minutes away from the Guest House is the stop for Bus # 87 that goes to Vauxhall Tube Station and Westminster where most tourist attractions are located.

Restaurant - McDonald Restaurant is located next to it.

DON'T LIKE:

BED SHEETS - other than the small orange sheet/spread (?), there are no other sheets (flat and fitted ones) and blankets provided to me.

ROOM - very narrow and small. Does not appear to be clean.

MIRROR - located at high level, I would need a stool to see my face (I'm 5 ft 5 inches tall).

LIGHTING - very dim.

My London Sweat Shirt - I emailed them to let them know that I forgot my new sweat shirt in the bathroom and would get it back when I return to London in 2 weeks. I could not get anyone to tell me what happened to my sweat shirt when I inquired about it again.

With more experience traveling in London, I would definitely NOT STAY again in this hotel due to reasons listed above.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LolaGo1
Chelsea Guest H... L, Customer Service at Chelsea Guest House, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Lolago1,
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion with us.
It was lovely to talk with you while you were at the Chelsea Guest House. Our reception team is not just fully trained to provide all the information our guests need to enjoy this beautiful capital, but it is also very happy to do it! This is our job and we are passionate about it. It is very nice that you have noticed it and written about it. So, thank you again.
As you underlined, the location of the guest house is amazing to reach the city centre with a short bus ride or by tube, and the nearby area offers lots of nice restaurants, for all tastes and pockets. Our reception team are always ready to best address our guests to the restaurant to suit all tastes.
I am sorry to read you did not find some things to your likings. With regards to the bed linings, we would have been happy to provide you with an extra sheet or cover, though the fitted one with the cover for the duvet is the typical English bedding style and, of course it is changed for every new customer and every 2 days for long stays. At check-in we always ask our guests to return to the reception if there is anything that they need and I am sorry you did not take advantage of this during your stay, as we could have amended this issue.
The light bulbs we use in the guest house are energy efficient, as we want to improve our green footprint on the earth, therefore they do tend to be slower at brightening up, but we believe that the majority of our guest will be happy that we are trying to go green.
About the other issues you experienced, I can ensure that your message will be passed to the managers that will take a look into them, to check that our cleanliness standards will be kept high.
Our building team is already hard at work to renovate our rooms and to ensure we are keeping up with our main focus for our guests, whilst ensuring not to disturb our guests’ stay. Most of our rooms have been already refurbished and modernized.
And let me apologize for your shirt. Although the housekeeping team clean all our rooms deeply every day, and we have a lost property procedure, unfortunately it has not been found. It appears a communication fault has occurred and that is why you have not received any information about it. This should never happen, and we will make sure it will not happen again. The managers have already looked into this matter to make sure any other fault of this kind will not occur again.
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and for your review. We do hope you might re-consider our Hotel in future light of this information, and in that case we would be pleased to listen to your requests and find the best solution for you.
Kindest Regards