“Avoid if you can - And dont ignore the other reviews like we did!”
Review of City Inn Express

City Inn Express
Ranked #933 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Avoid if you can - And dont ignore the other reviews like we did!”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Me and my partner stayed here recently, we travelled up to London to see a show so wanted somewhere cheap and basic to stay the night. The hotel was clean, however the noise levels were unacceptable. We knew there would be some noise due to the hotel being directly next to a petrol station but the main issues were with the room itself. The shower was more like a leaking tap, very weak but warm. The extractor fan in the bathroom turned off and on every 2 minutes and was extremely loud, to the point we could hear the fan in the room opposite ours, There was no switch / plug to turn this off. The room was very hot, the windows offered little relief. Whenever a car went by the curtain pole shook and woke us up. I would avoid if you can, unless your a VERY heavy sleeper. After a night of no sleep we left at 7am and skipped breakfast, So unable to comment on the food. A rubbish end to what was a fantastic evening

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carlalouise1988
cityinnexp, Guest Relations Manager at City Inn Express, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments regarding the City Inn Express London on Tripadvisor. We are sorry to hear that your stay was not as good as it could have been . Your points have been noted and will be addressed.

Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Hungarian first
Clapham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Although difficult to find, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the City Inn Express. It is excellent value for money. The room was clean and the marble staircase so spotless you could eat your dinner off it. The staff were great, and went out of their way to lend me a mobile phone charger as I had forgotten mine.

We had the £4 breakfast, which was egg, toast, jam and tea. It did the job and filled us up - no complaints here.

My only comment would be that the raidator valve was broken so we couldn't turn the radiator off, but other than that, the room was excellent.

I would stay here again and recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
cityinnexp, Manager at City Inn Express, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments regarding the City Inn Express London on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel facilities and found our staff friendly. Thank you once again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon it was a pleasure having you stay at our establishment.

Pune, India
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I traveled to and stayed in London for about 4 weeks in Aug 13, I stayed in this hotel in a double bed room during my visit. Staff are friendly, nice and welcoming. Staff guided me on traveling the city, provided me umbrella when it was raining outside. Rooms were clean and well heated. Bathroom/shower was clean. Clean towels and some toiletries were provided every day. Garbage bags were replaced everyday.

Satellite TV and PC-Internet in common area. Free WIFI reached my room on the second floor.

Location/Neighborhood may not be a tourist place in London but I did not have to walk long distances to bus stops and Bethnal Green train station is near from this place.

Being a vegetarian I did not really eat the breakfast they provided, but there are a plenty of restaurants in nearby area and if you are a vegetarian or vegan there is Gallery Cafe run by St Margarets House Settlement on Old Ford Road which is near by.

Only thing that bothered me was the noise of some pump in the night..

All in all it is a clean and good budget hotel. I would recommend this place if you are looking for hotel at reasonable price in East London.

Room Tip: probably rooms on 2nd floor. or ground floor if you have prob. with stairs as there's no lift.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
cityinnexp, General Manager at City Inn Express, responded to this review, 19 January 2014

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Me and my sister stayed two nights at this hotel back in the summer for a festival. Slightly hard to find, if you follow the sat nav on your phone you will get lost! We has to ask a couple of people to find the place. it is very hidden and tucked away. worth looking up the route first before you set off. once we got there and checked in the receptionist was helpful and friendly. our room was very small and had a double bed in. as we weren't spending much time in the room and was only sleeping in there we didn't mind. bathroom/shower is tiny, but it does the job. make sure you remember to take soap. we had clean towels both days which was great. there was a TV and a fan which was also handy. overall this hotel is ideal for a weekend away, don't expect too much though.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
cityinnexp, Front Office Manager at City Inn Express, responded to this review, 19 January 2014

Reviewed 11 September 2013

I really did. He accosted me twice as I walked up and down the street outside looking at the half-broken sign hanging on the side of a derelict-looking building.
The room was fine given my low expectations.
Sleep was difficult to come by die to constant yelling on the forecourt of the petrol station in front of the hotel - I think it was the same tramp but was not willing to risk my skin to find out.
I didn't hang around in the morning. Booked a taxi and legged it

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments regarding the City Inn Express London on Tripadvisor. We are sorry you found it difficult in locating the hotel, as we are located in a conservation area we are restricted in the signs we can display. however on our website we have a detailed note in regards to location and entrance. As in regards to fuel station i would disagree with your comments in regards to shouting this is very unlikely as the forcourt does not allow any loitering on its forecourt. Its good to hear your expections of rooms were met.

many thanks

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This hotel was pleasant, neat and clean. Although down a dark alley way in central London, it was ok. Not much fuss, we found this hotel on late rooms. Don't expect much from previous London experiences, but this hotel was clean and for the price the room wasn't so bad. Not too small, like the ones in Hong Kong and not too large like the Hiltons (Not that I stayed in one with my money)
The staff are pretty nice and bring you free cups of teas in the communal areas.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms on top if they are empty
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments regarding the City Inn Express London on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel facilities and found our staff friendly. Thank you once again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

A friend and I stayed at the weekend and we're pleasantly surprised. Ok so the room was fairly small and the double bed was actually a 3/4 but it was clean and tidy. It's really close to the bus stop and there's a shop near by. The staff were really friendly, and there was minimal judgement when we arrived after our checkout time having stayed out all night. We even checked out an hour later than we should have with no extra charge. It's not fancy but if you're after a cheap room for the night it's ideal.

• Stayed August 2013
cityinnexp, Guest Relations Manager at City Inn Express, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

As you may be aware there is a discount for returning guests, you can take advantage of this by booking on www.cityinnexpresshotel.com and entering promo code.

Thanks again