“Mixed review! One bad room, one better room.”
Review of Sheriff Hotel

Sheriff Hotel
Ranked #144 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Mixed review! One bad room, one better room.”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This hotel is coupled with the Grapevine Hotel next door. If I had only experienced my 'epic fail' room then I would not be able to recommend it, however friendly and helpful staff quickly sorted out my problems and I got a good room.

I booked a single room because we had no hot water at home so that I could have a long hot shower. Firstly my TV had so much interference that I just turned it off, secondly the shower didn't work - oh the irony ; )

However the staff were very understanding and quickly moved me into another room with good television reception and lashings of hot water. It was clean, stylishly decorated and my bed was comfortable. Slight niggle was that my room was next to a very, very noisy boiler but once everything had showered, had tea and gone to bed, it was quiet until the first riser...

There was plenty of breakfast and drinks available, but not for me as I am gluten free, otherwise I would have been delighted with it.

I would book again if I could choose my room!

Room Tip: If you find the TV useful for weather and news updates ask for a room with good television reception...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tisha J
Majaz L, General Manager at Sheriff Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Tisha,

Many thanks for taking time out to review us.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused to as first rooms had shower and TV issues.

All rooms at Sheriff Hotel have been recently refurbished and have power shower with massage options amongst other amenities. You are always welcome to come and stay with us again to enjoy this refreshing shower experience.

We offer complimentary continental breakfast each morning to all our guests. We do offer gluten free items as well but this is subject to 48 hours prior notice so that we can arrange. I have made a note of this, next time you will have gluten free option when you stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again in future.

Majaz Laghari

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Positives: Great location. Friendly, staff. Nice continental breakfast, sufficient choice. Decent bathroom although it did smell musty upon arrival.

Negatives: Was disappointed that the deluxe room didn't look anything like the rooms advertised on your website. Had no problem with the size it just lacked that "deluxe" feeling. Having spent a fantastic day out on 30th April was disappointed to come back to the room and find bed not made, bathroom appeared not to have been tidied and hospitality tray not replenished, although upon ringing down to reception this was remedied straight away.

Was also concerned, particularly as the hotel recommends that laptops etc should not be left in the room, that upon return to our room on the evening of 30th April the curtains and sliding doors were open and the bathroom light turned on. Granted our room was on the top floor, however my feeling is, from a security perspective, maybe this is not ideal practice.

Disappointing also that the hotel operates a non-smoking policy but our veranda quite obviously showed smoking does take place - I have pictorial evidence to support this. This isn't nice to witness and appears to show the hotel condones smoking to the point of providing a stub out box.

Although we had a great visit to London, given this was to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday, I personally felt the accommodation left me feeling on the disappointed side

To end on a positive the option for a late check was appreciated - thank you

• Stayed April 2014
Majaz L, General Manager at Sheriff Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Madame,

Many thanks for taking time out to review our hotel.

I am very happy to hear that you liked our location, our friendly staff, our breakfast and our modern bathroom.

I did read the comments on the booking form that it was a surprise 60th birthday present for your husband and as a resullt I upgraded you to our family deluxe room with a balcony at the front of the building. This would give you ample space and balcony with a view to enjoy.

I deeply apologize that you were disappointed with the room and that it was not refreshed properly upon your arrival after a long day in London, I have had a word with our housekeeping and I will ensure this is not repeated.

Yes we do recommend that valuables must not be kept in the room but rather with us in our reception for safekeeping. The windows were left open for some fresh air, We are currently in the process of upgrading all our rooms with in room safes amongst other things.

It is against the law to smoke in hotels etc, and all our rooms are fitted with smoke alarms which will ring as soon smoke is detected. However some guests do smoke in the balcony (there are only 3 rooms with balcony in our hotel) and as a result we have to provide stub out box as per the health and safety regulation.

Please give us another chance and celebrate another special day with us, I promise you will leave our hotel "feeling delighted"

London
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Located in a beautiful area only around the corner from Victoria's tube and coach stations, the area was central to everything you need to see in London. Rooms were also clean and cosy, great staff.!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Clare,

Thank you very much for taking time out and writing a kind review.

I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and that the staff were great as to me that is of vital importance. I am also glad to hear that the room was clean and it met your expectations.

All of us at Sheriff Hotel look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed with this hotel. We had been warned that London hotel rooms could be small but the bathroom in my apartment is bigger than the 'Superior Double' room we got. The room was tiny, barely room to get ourselves and our small suitcases in and the cups and spoon for tea and coffee were dirty. We were there for 3 nights and our towels were not changed for the duration of our stay. My partner had a nose bleed on our first morning, blood got on the shower floor towel/mat. We left this out to be changed but when we returned that evening the 'mat' had not been changed but simply turned over!
We would not recommend this hotel at all.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank E C
Hi,

Thank you for taking time out to review your stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We are located in the heart of Central London, Victoria (10-15 minutes walk to Buckingham Palace) where the premium for space is extremely high. Therefore yes our rooms are not very spacious, however, they do have all the essential amenities such as comfortable beds, power shower etc amongst others. We do clearly mention this as an honest statement on our website.

With regards to your other comments, I deeply apologise for the inconvenience caused. Based on your comments I have taken action through more staff training & supervision to ensure this is not repeated.

Please give us another chance as we would love to welcome you again and offer you exceptional service.

Best Wishes

Majaz Laghari

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Larne, Co Antrim
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed at the Sheriff Hotel for 1 night in February as part of a work trip. The hotel is in a great location, very close to Victoria Station and the staff I found to be very friendly. I was on the top floor and had an en suite which suited me perfect, although I did see that on some floors, bathrooms were shared. They do however make this very clear on their website. I had a TV and free WiFi which both worked perfectly. The windows however did not close properly and so you could hear the traffic on the street. I was so tired I slept well, however if you are a light sleeper, it may be more difficult. The breakfast was simple: cereals, toast and a nice range of breads and danishes, but it was all I wanted. The one negative thing I would have to say is that they need to inform people better on the website that there is no lift and if you are on the top floor like I was, the stairs are very long and quite narrow, and therefore a bit tough to get a suitcase up. But overall, I had a very pleasant stay. If you are looking for somewhere to stay on a budget, this place is great value for money. Would I stay again? Yes!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Elaineemmett28
Dear Elaine,

Thank you very much for taking time out and writing a nice review.

I am glad to hear that the room and our service met your expectations.

Yes we do have a few rooms that have private shower and toilet just outside the room with electronic lock and key, therefore it is for exclusive use and not shared with anyone.

I am sorry about the window not closing properly, it has been fixed though.

We do have a "honest statement" page on our website that does mention that we do not have any lift at the moment. We do however have plans for future development.

All of us here at Sheriff Hotel look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Best Wishes

Paris, France
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The hotel is clean, the employees are the NICEST people. The rooms are small but we had one with a terasse. The breakfast is ok. It is really well located as it is next to victoria station. We had an awesome time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Nice little hotel. Small comfortable room, very clean, free Wi Fi. TV with all channels. Breakfast fine, We left our cases before and after checkout. Nice friendly staff. Really dont know why this hotel has bad revews. We loved it,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple