“Great location and friendly staff”
Review of Sheriff Hotel

Sheriff Hotel
Ranked #135 of 554 London B&B and Inns
“Great location and friendly staff”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Visited the Sheriff Hotel for a weekend in the end of may - beginning of June 2014. The hotel was under 10 mins from Victoria Station by walk, and within walking distance to Buckingham Palace. The room was nice and clean (they cleaned it everyday), our room even had a balcony! The breakfast was included in the price. It's pretty standard with cereal, fruit, toast, pastries and porridge. As a bonus the room had sockets for EU, UK and American plugs! So there was no need for a travel adapter! The staff was nice and helpful all through the stay. Will be staying here again when I visit London next time, that's for sure! :D

Room Tip: We lived in room 34 which had a balcony and its own bathroom but our neighbour in no. 35 had their b...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Skhamilton2
Majaz L, General Manager at Sheriff Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014

Thank you very much for taking time out to review us.

I am extremely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and were satisfied with our service.

Yes we are proud of location as most of tourist attractions in London are just walking distance away :)

Modern day traveler needs plenty of sockets to juice up all the gadgets and gizmos, therefore it is essential offering in all our rooms!

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Majaz Laghari

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

My daughter wanted to see Wicked for her 21st birthday & we booked 2 rooms at Sheriff hotel, 1 for us to share & 1 for her granny. I picked this hotel for its location & price. I was a bit worried after reading some previous reviews but I can honestly say its a lovely hotel & we really liked the room & had a fab stay!
We had room 34 which was well decorated & very clean with a modern ensuite bathroom and a private sunny balcony. The room was compact but plenty big enough for us 2 for 2 nights. There was some problem with the TV but we only noticed on the last night & so it wasnt an issue for us.
Granny was in a single room on the 4th floor which seemed rather small but only for 1 person so fine really. Her bathroom seemed a similar size to her sleeping area lol but it was all clean & fresh looking.
Breakfast wasnt the greastest experience as there wasn't enough tables for the amount of guests. We had to wait for a seat & then had to share with a stranger which isn't what you want from a holiday.
The breakfast food was very basic continental style which to be fair mainly consisted of many different types of bread products & little else.
I think if we'd been staying longer we'd have gone elsewhere for breakfast.
We found the staff to be very pleasant, polite & helpful though, especialy the breakfast ladies who certainly have their work cut out lol also the guy who checked us in was really helpful & gave us maps for getting around.
If you are thinking of booking a few points to note, make sure you book with Sheriff Hotel & not The Grapevine, (I believe they are the budget rooms), also be aware that some rooms are not ensuite - they have seperate detatched bathrooms so check your room description before booking.
I do recommend the hotel & I would certainly stay here again & intend to book room 34 for another stay soon.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank vintage-pirate

Thank you very much for taking time out to review us.

I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found us good value for money. Customer service is of utmost importance and I am delighted to hear that you found our team members pleasant, polite and helpful.

Yes you have correctly mentioned we have a few room types, some with balcony, some with private external shower & toilets etc. This is all because of clever planning by our architect to maximise space utilisation.

Breakfast is a complimentary service that we offer to all our guests and due to space limitation it does get quite busy after 8:30am. We are not allowed to serve cooked breakfast, however we do try to offer a balanced mix. We do mention this in "Honest Statement" on our website.

Thanks once again for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Kaysville, Utah
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

The neighborhood is quaint and charming. The staff was nice and helpful. The breakfast was ok, the room was clean but SO small. Barley enough room to walk around the bed, smaller than a cruise room. The bathroom is also smaller than a cruise room. I was a bit surprised how small. It was fine cus we were out exploring but it would have been nice or have space to walk around the bed. Barley could. I wouldn't stay there again, but it was an ok price for the room and location. Just 10 min walk max from Victoria station.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Majaz L, General Manager at Sheriff Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Natalie,

Thank you very much for taking time out to review us.

I am glad that you liked our location, our staff, our breakfast, cleanliness of the room and most importantly value for money.

As you have rightly mentioned that our neighborhood is quaint & charming and it is extremely central. For example, Buckingham Palace is just 15 minutes walk away. As a result of this the premium for space is extremely high. Our rooms have been designed for a modern day traveler looking to explore fantastic London during the day, relax & refresh with us and be ready for another busy day in London.

We strongly believe in honesty always therefore we do mention room size etc. clearly under the heading "Honest Statement" on our own website.

Please do give us another chance as we look forward to welcoming you again.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This hotel is coupled with the Grapevine Hotel next door. If I had only experienced my 'epic fail' room then I would not be able to recommend it, however friendly and helpful staff quickly sorted out my problems and I got a good room.

I booked a single room because we had no hot water at home so that I could have a long hot shower. Firstly my TV had so much interference that I just turned it off, secondly the shower didn't work - oh the irony ; )

However the staff were very understanding and quickly moved me into another room with good television reception and lashings of hot water. It was clean, stylishly decorated and my bed was comfortable. Slight niggle was that my room was next to a very, very noisy boiler but once everything had showered, had tea and gone to bed, it was quiet until the first riser...

There was plenty of breakfast and drinks available, but not for me as I am gluten free, otherwise I would have been delighted with it.

I would book again if I could choose my room!

Room Tip: If you find the TV useful for weather and news updates ask for a room with good television reception...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tisha J
Dear Tisha,

Many thanks for taking time out to review us.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused to as first rooms had shower and TV issues.

All rooms at Sheriff Hotel have been recently refurbished and have power shower with massage options amongst other amenities. You are always welcome to come and stay with us again to enjoy this refreshing shower experience.

We offer complimentary continental breakfast each morning to all our guests. We do offer gluten free items as well but this is subject to 48 hours prior notice so that we can arrange. I have made a note of this, next time you will have gluten free option when you stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again in future.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Positives: Great location. Friendly, staff. Nice continental breakfast, sufficient choice. Decent bathroom although it did smell musty upon arrival.

Negatives: Was disappointed that the deluxe room didn't look anything like the rooms advertised on your website. Had no problem with the size it just lacked that "deluxe" feeling. Having spent a fantastic day out on 30th April was disappointed to come back to the room and find bed not made, bathroom appeared not to have been tidied and hospitality tray not replenished, although upon ringing down to reception this was remedied straight away.

Was also concerned, particularly as the hotel recommends that laptops etc should not be left in the room, that upon return to our room on the evening of 30th April the curtains and sliding doors were open and the bathroom light turned on. Granted our room was on the top floor, however my feeling is, from a security perspective, maybe this is not ideal practice.

Disappointing also that the hotel operates a non-smoking policy but our veranda quite obviously showed smoking does take place - I have pictorial evidence to support this. This isn't nice to witness and appears to show the hotel condones smoking to the point of providing a stub out box.

Although we had a great visit to London, given this was to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday, I personally felt the accommodation left me feeling on the disappointed side

To end on a positive the option for a late check was appreciated - thank you

• Stayed April 2014
Majaz L, General Manager at Sheriff Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Madame,

Many thanks for taking time out to review our hotel.

I am very happy to hear that you liked our location, our friendly staff, our breakfast and our modern bathroom.

I did read the comments on the booking form that it was a surprise 60th birthday present for your husband and as a resullt I upgraded you to our family deluxe room with a balcony at the front of the building. This would give you ample space and balcony with a view to enjoy.

I deeply apologize that you were disappointed with the room and that it was not refreshed properly upon your arrival after a long day in London, I have had a word with our housekeeping and I will ensure this is not repeated.

Yes we do recommend that valuables must not be kept in the room but rather with us in our reception for safekeeping. The windows were left open for some fresh air, We are currently in the process of upgrading all our rooms with in room safes amongst other things.

It is against the law to smoke in hotels etc, and all our rooms are fitted with smoke alarms which will ring as soon smoke is detected. However some guests do smoke in the balcony (there are only 3 rooms with balcony in our hotel) and as a result we have to provide stub out box as per the health and safety regulation.

Please give us another chance and celebrate another special day with us, I promise you will leave our hotel "feeling delighted"

London
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Located in a beautiful area only around the corner from Victoria's tube and coach stations, the area was central to everything you need to see in London. Rooms were also clean and cosy, great staff.!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Majaz L, Manager at Sheriff Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Clare,

Thank you very much for taking time out and writing a kind review.

I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and that the staff were great as to me that is of vital importance. I am also glad to hear that the room was clean and it met your expectations.

All of us at Sheriff Hotel look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed with this hotel. We had been warned that London hotel rooms could be small but the bathroom in my apartment is bigger than the 'Superior Double' room we got. The room was tiny, barely room to get ourselves and our small suitcases in and the cups and spoon for tea and coffee were dirty. We were there for 3 nights and our towels were not changed for the duration of our stay. My partner had a nose bleed on our first morning, blood got on the shower floor towel/mat. We left this out to be changed but when we returned that evening the 'mat' had not been changed but simply turned over!
We would not recommend this hotel at all.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank E C
Majaz L, Manager at Sheriff Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Hi,

Thank you for taking time out to review your stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We are located in the heart of Central London, Victoria (10-15 minutes walk to Buckingham Palace) where the premium for space is extremely high. Therefore yes our rooms are not very spacious, however, they do have all the essential amenities such as comfortable beds, power shower etc amongst others. We do clearly mention this as an honest statement on our website.

With regards to your other comments, I deeply apologise for the inconvenience caused. Based on your comments I have taken action through more staff training & supervision to ensure this is not repeated.

Please give us another chance as we would love to welcome you again and offer you exceptional service.

Best Wishes

Majaz Laghari

Travellers are raving about these London hotels