“Ants in the kitchen”

Ranked #480 of 837 Speciality Lodging in London
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Ants in the kitchen”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here late last year. The studio apartment was small but ok. We found ants in the kitchen and reported it before we left. The staff on the front desk didnt really say anything regarding this issue and we left not very happy. :/

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Faye1NorthEast

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
greenville, sc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is not your average hostelry in London; rather, it's quirky, with a history. You get a choice of apartment types. I chose a larger unit, with living room, bedroom and small kitchen. Price, for 10 days, was cheaper than a hotel. But the building is old, and shows it; the paint in the bathroom was peeling. But everything worked just fine, was clean, with maid service. It's close to King's Road, there's a pub round the corner with the best fish and chips in town. A bus passes by the door, and the Underground is a 10 minute walk away. There is a mini-market next door. Security is very good. Sit in the lobby of an evening and watch the beautifully dresses ladies whisk out for high class encounters. As a base for trips, it's a good choice, not fancy, but a great location for forays into all things in London.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank valley2valley
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Staying in Flat 141 .. Definitely not as impressive as website pix would suggest. I think some rooms/flats have been refurbished, this is obviously not one of them. It is a little rundown. One notable positive is plenty of storage for clothes etc... People in nearby flat either beside us or above us are v noisy .. I know London well so I like the location ...

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Andrew M
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Rooms are not at all as they look like on the hotel's website. Very old and in need of refurbishment! Tap, etc. in the bathroom nearly broken. Massive smell of smoke in the room (although we didn't ask for a smokers room). Service not reliable and very arrogant. Rooms run down - although we got an apparent upgrade...very curious how the other room would have been like! We don't reccomend the hotel at all!

Stayed April 2014
5 Thank Sophie Z
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I do not normally do hotel review but I feel strongly about my experience at Chelsea cloisters hence this review.

I stayed about a month in a studio during relocation for work. Relatively small in comparison to a double hotel room.

I have stayed in budget hotels and the standards of service and room sizes were much better at these hotels at a much lower rate.

If you don't need a kitchen to cook, not recommended. A hotel is a better option.

Clip holding shower was broken so I could not stand under the shower.

Light build took 3 days to chance despite several reminders. Bulb dead a week later. Took 2 days to change despite repeated requests.

Ceiling wall paper was torn. It was later sealed.

Major plus is excellent location. Close to South Kensington underground station and tourist places.

Poor and cold customer services.

Thin floors and walls. Woken up daily by neighbour walking up and down between 5 and 6am.

I was offered another studio but they rooms I inspected were not significantly better.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MichaelGunner
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked a studio apartment the day before I was due to go into London when I saw on the website that there was money off some apartments, and it looked very reasonable for the area.
I was very worried indeed when I read some of the reviews on tripadvisor which mentioned stained sheets, toilets which didn't flush, rude staff etc. I needn't have worried. I was upgraded to a 2 bedroomed apartment on arrival, just for myself, which was fantastic value for what I paid. The sheets were snowy white, the pillows plump and soft. Everything was very clean, and I loved the little kitchenette. Toilettries and towels were provided, as was washing up liquid and a scourer.
I felt very safe staying here. there is a chain on the inside of the door and I didn't spot any undesirable elements! (Admittedly I only stayed one night!)
Location- wise it couldn't have been better. A lovely area, and a very short walk to South Kensington tube, lots of eateries, museums etc.
The staff weren't effusive but were perfectly polite and helpful.
The reason I am giving 4 instead of 5 as a rating is because there was light coming into the bedroom from the street, and traffic noise, and the bathroom was a bit draughty. These things didn't bother me, but other people might not like it, so take ear-plugs and an eye-cover.
Overall I enjoyed staying here very much, and based on this experience, would definitely stay at Chelsea cloisters again.

Room Tip: If light and traffic noise bother you ask for a room the other side.