“bitter-sweet”

Belgrave House Hotel London Victoria
Ranked #734 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Last week I've booked a double room for me and my boyfriend to stay over
weekend in that hotel. We decided to go back there as last time we were
treated extremely nicely by two lady receptionists. However this time it was a
completely different story. I arrived at around 6pm for a check in. When I
entered reception I was clearly "disturbing" the guy who sat there.
Tall, bald bloke in a suit. Shame his manners didn't match the outfit!!!! I
gave all my details then I've paid for the room then went upstairs. As it was
really noisy in that room I've decided to go back downstairs and ask the guy
at the reception if we could switch. He was rude and said absolutely no. I've
checked online on my phone and it said that double rooms where available. When
I confronted him He just smirked and said he won't change it end off. So I
went back up. As if that wasn't enough when my boyfriend arrived later that
night that piece of s.... At the reception told him there was no such person
in the hotel and the he oughta go and check a different hotel at the end of
the road which bares the same name. My boyfriend got really angry with him.
Only after 10 minutes of arguing he called me to come downstairs. That bloke
really spoiled our night. We will not be staying at your hotel again. It's
beyond me how can such a tw*t work amongst people.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
LHGManagement, Manager at Belgrave House Hotel London Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at our hotel.
At the Belgrave House Hotel we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment and I do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this.

We take all complaints and comments extremely seriously, and endeavour to rectify any issues in order to provide our customers with complete satisfaction. On this occasion, please be rest assured that we shall fully investigate this matter with the relevant staff members, and take the appropriate action as soon as possible.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We happened to stay at the belgrave house hotel a while ago. Was well tempted by the location of the hotel. 3 minutes walk from Victoria station. Sitting in the heart of London. It's a basic and old hotel and it really needs a bit of work but you can never go wrong for that price. We had a fresh towels each day and really helpful chambermaid who looked after our room. Our room was lovely and clean and really friendly staff! Especially during breakfast where every need was satisfied :) we had a very big double room on the first floor.
Breakfast only is available which is great but there are plenty of nice places to eat in a walking distance from the hotel. Cafe Nero (my favourite just around the corner ;))
The only downside was one of the receptionists. Quite obnoxious. We only saw him once. He was rude and not interested in helping us at all. luckily there was someone else who helped. Maybe he had a bad day. His name was Kamel or something like that. I would suggest the management sort him out.
Other than the I would definitely recommend this hotel. We will be going back next year for our anniversary :))))

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed 20 February 2014

If you are granted the right room, this can be a decent budget option in an otherwise overpriced poor quality London budget market. I have stayed here three times in the last ten years and while the overall property has declined, the rooms I have stayed in are much better value than similar-priced options in Paddington. Yes, they will ask for a copy of your passport and credit card, but most budget hotels in London will do this to protect against theft and damage.

The hotel is within a 5 minute walk to Victoria Station and convenient to pubs and restaurants. The reception area is large and modern and the staff are attentive and quick. My room 301 was equipped with an oven\microwave/sink and refrigerator. The room was in the back so was very quiet and had a nice view. The single bed was soft on one side of the mattress, but got used to it the second night.

I had booked two nights using different websites so returned the second night to find my luggage removed from the room and my electronic card not working. The manager explained that since I had not informed them of the second nights booking on the morning of the second night that my luggage was removed, because sometimes they get consecutive bookings with the same name but different people (?) .

Room Tip: 301 faces away from the road and overlooks a garden area
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I thought I would give this establishment a chance, thinking that maybe some of the reviews had been a little too harsh. Oh no. All the negative reviews were correct. This place is the most disgusting hotel I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to stay in. When I first arrived the receptionist was very rude to me as she was unable to find my booking (despite myself pointing out that the sheet of paper with my name on she was looking for was right in front of her - I could see my name and all my details already printed out and waiting.) This took her 30 minutes to find and check me in, she then showed me down a very narrow staircase, and having 2 suitcases, she was more than happy to stand and watch me struggle. Once inside the room I was in utter shock that I began to cry. There is a small single bed (that is all I needed) but the duvet was lying in a pile on the floor. There was a chair propped up against the wall which had so many stains on it I think there was a new form of species living inside of it. My room had french windows looking out over an unkept garden, the wood of the windows was rotting away, and the curtains were half-hanging-off. The sink in the room had cigarette burns in it, and the tap had been smashed. When I tried to find a TV remote I couldn't, instead having to pay a deposit of 5 pounds (which I never got back as I couldn't prove I had paid a deposit! Despite being able to return the remote). The noise was unbelievably loud in the evening with people stomping up and down the stairs outside the room to go to the small toilet room next to the room, which was also grotty, and the light would constantly go out whilst in there. The shower room, as not attached to the room, was 3 floors up from my room, this initially looked clean, until, standing in the shower, I started to notice all the mould growing around the tiles, the door frames and even the window frames, and surprise-surprise the sink had cigarette burns. On departure I was 35 minutes over the check-out time, having not been informed of any check out time (usually check out is between 11am and 12noon, it is 10.30am here! I don't know why, it's not as though the rooms get cleaned) I was told I had to pay another 20 pounds and if I didn't then the police would be called. As this hotel was 30 pounds a night I enquired why the price was as high for an extra 35 minutes, to be abruptly told again that the police were going to get called (I hadn't refused to pay!) I proceeded to tell the receptionist (different to the one on check-in day, she was currently a cleaner!) of all that had occurred during me stay, the duvet, the stains, the bathroom etc. I was told very strictly that I was a liar and he proceeded to phone the police, at this point I started to cry again, to which prompted more shouting from the receptionist (I had been at reception for under 5 minutes at this point) The receptionist charged my card with the overpayment, came around from behind reception and took my bag behind the reception desk and told me I was going to be arrested! Bearing in mind I had now by this point paid the overcharge. When the police arrived the receptionist was nowhere to be seen. I explained the entire situation, to which the 2 police officers retrieved my bag and sent me on my way. I will NEVER be staying at this dump again. It is more like a house for prostitutes and drug addicts. There is nothing good about here, except the location, but for your sanity I plead you to find somewhere else. The worst hotel EVER.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Matt M
LHGManagement, Manager at Belgrave House Hotel London Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at our hotel.

Having checked with all of our staff, CCTV and Belgravia Police, we have no record of the Police being called to the hotel for any such incident. We are unsure as to why any of our guests would fabricate such a story.

We take all complaints and comments extremely seriously, and endeavour to rectify any issues in order to provide our customers with complete satisfaction. On this occasion, our staff are unaware of any incident of this nature.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have stayed in some awful hotels all around the world, but this is the worst I have stayed in in several years. The hotel was generally very dirty and the room in particular smelled absolutely disgusting. My room was cleaned, but there was several years of dirt on the walls and the maid kept replacing the dirty throw back on the bed when I kept folding it and putting it under the bed.

The toilet bowl looked like it has never seen any kind of toiler cleaner. The door-frame in the bathroom appeared to be rotting and falling in. The shower gel in the shower had run out.

I was made to leave a deposit in order to get a remote control for the TV (the receptionist didn't tell me this, so I had to come back down 5 flights of stairs to get it).

Awful hotel! Stay away!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Laura2490
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Lots of problems with this hotel:
- Demanded £20 deposit for a key. They also charge £5 if you want to use the tv in the room. They also wanted to make a photocopy of my credit card. Refused to say why because "it's policy"?
- Wallpaper was peeling in the bedroom and walls were dirty and damp.
- Bedding had burn-holes and spare bedding was mouldy.
- Bathroom had missing tiles, holes in the wall, no toilet paper and lights that flickered on and off.
- Power points in room covered in black dirt.
- Room hard to get around because bed only just fit.
- Disused shower (taped shut) in one corner of the room.
- Dirty and holey carpet on stairs. Automatic lights that sometimes didn't work.
- Staff were rude and unhelpful.

Good points?
-Good location. Very close to Victoria bus/train stations.
-Free Wifi.
-Warm. I was staying in December and at least it was warm in my room!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 December 2013

The first issue is the rude reception staff. They go to no effort to greet you or make you feel welcome and we spent a long time waiting to check in. However, the reception has obviously been recently refurbished - not the case as you venture up the stairs.
As you reach the toilets the smell is horrendous, my boyfriend compared the smell to that of portaloos at a festival. Not only that, the shared bathroom is falling to bits.
The room got ridiculously hot due to the heating being on full at 3am - it really wasn't that cold. We went to reception to ask them if they could turn the heating off and we were told to 'open a window', which would have been fine except the window frame was extremely loose and made a loud banging noise whenever the wind blew.
In terms of cleanliness the room is clean and has all the basics and the location is really good for the price paid, right next to the Victoria tube link. I do think that a class in customer service may be needed, and we will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013