Melrose House
US$259
US$225
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewspenge eastthe main housetrain stationyogurtbreakfast cooked to orderprivate bathroomenglish breakfastbeansstay there againtransport linksshort walknice roompleasant staycomfy bedstayed for nightslondon bridgedouble room
Reviewed 3 July 2013

we got a twin room close to the breakfast room & overlooking a charming garden. The room was OK - 2 comfortable beds with clean linen. The bathroom was a slight disappointment as it was very small with a shower that had no curtain/door, hence everything was immediately wet. But the room was clean. There is also a very small TV set. We did not spend much time in the room, so it was OK. The place was undergoing refurbishment when we were there but the owner apologised for the inconvenience and disorder. Breakfast was tasty with a good choice of food to choose from, including English breakfast made as required (open kitchen). Melrose House is in Zone 4, but commuting is easy and simple - National Rail train straight from Penge East to Victoria in just 10-15 mins. You can also walk to New Beckengham (?) to Lewisham and then get to Greenwich to visit Cutty Sark or the Royal Observatory. We got very good directions from the owner! The area appears to be safe and quiet.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Franeczka
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Many thanks to Frances and staff for all your help and hospitality. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will recommend to anyone looking for clean, affordable, charming, relaxing, comfortable and close to London accommodation.
The rooms are so beautiful, the surroundings peaceful and the breakfast delightful. Very close to bus routes and train stations.
I wish I could have stayed longer. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 10 which is very private away from the main house - lovely. Room 3 in the house has a 4 poster bed and extremely comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank xoMissLeexo
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I've read some of the negative reviews and really think that people expect too much out of this lovely B&B. It is not a 5 star hotel after all. My teenaged daughter and myself stayed at this charming home for 3 nights and loved it! We coincided with an Italian group of medical people who made it all the more charming for me, I got to practice my rudimentary Italian! Since we are not hot breakfast eaters, we were fine with what was on the counter, a nice assortment of fruit, yogurts, scones, etc. as well as beverages. We simply loved our room which opened out into the garden, and must be truly beautiful when everything is in bloom. We travelled from Alaska in November so it was still mild weather for us, my daughter loved the goldfish, the heated towel racks and the spacious showers with good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Since we live in the Alaska outback and have no running water, this is truly a luxury we appreciated!
I found Francis, Vic and Laraine warm and welcoming. They even chatted with both of us when the Italian group had left for the day...it was a comfortable atmosphere. Francis shared about the renovations, which I had not noticed since there was no banging or noise as other reviewers stated. Our room had plenty of space in it and contrary to other reviews, our cups and trash were emptied. I did not expect linens or towels to be changed daily...for an extended stay...we stayed 3 nights.
Hats off to anybody who works in the catering and hostel business and can still manage a welcoming attitude...I noticed that Frances did the cooking herself and offered us a hot breakfast if we wanted one which we declined.
We particularly liked the privacy of being able to come and go through the back gate with our own key. Since my daughter wanted to get in as much sightseeing as possible we were not particularly interested in staying at the B&B beyond just using it as a comfortable place to sleep.
True it took a bit longer than the 20' to get to Victoria Station but was quite adequate for us.
All in all a pleasant experience which I hope can be repeated.
Griselda & Ani Buongiorne, Dry Creek Alaska USA

Room Tip: The room in the back, I think #9 was very nice, comfortable and had an awesome sofa and shower.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank GRIBUONGIORNE
Reviewed 27 October 2012

My Sister, her husband and I spent a delightful 2 nights in this lovely Guest House. It was so
comfortable and the breakfasts were the best I have had in a B & B - SO many choices and when
having a cooked breakfast, it was cooked to perfection! The location was excellent, with access to the train just a 5 minute walk. 15 minute ride to Victoria Station. With ease and a full tummy
we hopped on the 'Get On, Get Off bus" and had a wonderful day in London where, everyone
seemed to be in such good spirits. Outstanding hospitality everywhere we went. A BIG THANK-
YOU to Frances for her hospitality Hope to return soon and see the completed work on this
very special B&B - The Melrose House. Ann Fuller, Minneapolis, Minnesota USA (Born and
raised in England tho') :) :)

Room Tip: My sister and her husband had the room featured here. I on the other hand climbed the stairs to the top and slept in a family room. (3 single beds) I was fine, i bounced on each bed to see which was more comfy - all were the same, so I just chose 1. Slept like a log:). Had its own bathroom with special amenities - including shampoos, yummy biscuits and coffee or tea. Did not see any other rooms, except my sisters, it was lovely!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ANN SARAH F
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I am very sorry to say that I cannot recommend this B&B as it does not hold what it promises. Overall, we made more bad than good experiences. When we arrived, we were surprised how small the room was (room 9 in the Garden House) so that we did not have enough space for our luggage. This cannot be seen on the website. Additionally, the floor and the carpet were not cleaned everywhere, but what was more disgusting was that there were at least 10 spiders in the room. There was even one nearly dead spider in one of our beds under the blanket. When we complained about the inadequate cleanliness and the amount of spiders we were simply told that “it is spider time”. That was true, however, if the room had been cleaned properly the same day of our arrival – as we were told – the numbers of spiders would have been much smaller. We even found more spiders on the following days.
The room was cleaned the second day again which was fine. During the first two nights of our stay – we stayed there for five nights – there was also a terrible noise from the room next to us when other guests used the shower. It was so loud that we could not sleep any longer. This was especially annoying when the guests took their shower at 5.30 a.m. due to an early leave (comment from Frances’ assistance instead of an excuse: “We cannot tell our guests when they should take their shower”.). We then asked for switching to another room but Frances could not provide one as she was fully booked. So I asked for a discount rate as the noise was unacceptable, but she said that we already had a discount rate (which she did not mentioned before) and offered us telephone numbers of other B&Bs where we could sleep instead! So instead of saying she will do everything to make sure that the noise will be removed and that she is sorry about it she said that other guests never complained about it and was not willing to reduce the price for the room. In the end she reduced the daily rate, but it would have given us a much better feeling if she did it right from the start. As if by a miracle the noise was away on the third day. In turn, after the third night the service decreased significantly: the tea bags were not refilled anymore, used tea cups and cans were not changed regularly, after the fourth night we did not get new toilet paper, and the towels were the same even though we threw them on the floor for cleaning. It might be possible that they were washed, nonetheless it is astonishing to get the same ones again. The bed lines were not changed during our whole stay even though it was written that they are changed after three or four nights. Breakfast was good if everything was supplied, however one day sausages were out, another day it was yoghurt and again another day bananas (how could this work if you order in advance?). Very often guests themselves had to ask for food replenishments or for fresh coffee, this did not happen automatically. Both Frances and her assistance did not smile very often, and one had the feeling to bother both when asking for something. Except for Frances’ husband they were not as friendly as advertised on the website. What impacted the stay also was that the house has been under construction for years now and that the ground floor was full of building material, so that this area looked a little bit messy. Overall, these were small annoyances only, but in sum it made our stay very unpleasant. I can now fully understand the negative comments of my predecessors and cannot recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Desiree222
melrosehouse, Owner at Melrose House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

I am sorry we did not get rid of the spiders, however whilst they are rather creepy they do keep our garden free of undesirable insects that destroy our roses, and it is impossible to keep spiders and other insects out of ground floor rooms that open onto a garden!
Please be assured our rooms are thoroughly cleaned every day. The bedding is changed every 3/4th day, and I apologise if this was not carried out and have brought it to the attention of my housekeeper.
Our breakfasts are well recommended, and there is plenty of choice should items have been consumed by early risers.