“Appalling service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #281 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Rijswijk, The Netherlands
“Appalling service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

A decent option for business travel, my colleagues and I have regularly stayed at this hotel for the last 6 years. It is hardly luxurious but is clean and comfortable enough. The staff do their best despite none of them having English as a first language.
A couple of years ago I first stayed at one of their Blueprint Living apartments in Doughty Street- the rooms are pretty much the same as The Rockwell but the kitchenette is useful and it's handy for meetings in the City. All was well until earlier this year when my credit card was charged twice for 2 of the 3 trips I had paid for in advance. When I pointed out the first error, the manager (Ocky Paller) and his staff (Camellia and Michelle) were about as far from apologetic as one can be but eventually (following many reminders) refunded my card. The was then a repeat performance for following the second error.
Last July I booked the apartment again for 12-15 Nov and was called the week before arrival to confirm my check in time. When I arrived, I was informed that my reservation had been cancelled and that I'd been sent a mail (I hadn't) and that there were no apartments available. I called The Rockwell and was told that the call the previous week had been a mistake due to computer problems. I was not offered any kind of apology (par for their course) but was eventually offered a room at the hotel but requested they check availability at their other apartments in the Holborn area first and they agreed to call back. I also forwarded the mail confirming my reservation (lost on their computer) as requested. When I called 2 hours later, they said my mail had not been received and that they had been incorrectly dialling my telephone number (which I had double checked with them). And they had, apparently, no longer got a room for me.
Clearly, this was all done to teach me a lesson for having the temerity to complain about the double charging. Customer loyalty and being willing to forgive and forget and book again obviously counted for nothing with them.
Do yourself a favour and avoid these rude and arrogant people at all costs.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a plan b in case they mess up your reservation!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Kevmurt
FredBartlett, Manager at The Rockwell, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Our 'computer problems' were very real and this put did put a strain on our staff.
However, we unreservedly apologize that your reservation was so insensitively handled.
Regards, Fred Bartlett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Thai first
Dingwall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Booked in for one night only. Good location close to two tube stations and many other amenities. Staff very friendly and helpful.Very clean and well appointed. I was due to get a single but was upgraded to a double. Very generous and most comfortable. I opted for a 'full English' at breakfast and it was more than full. £12.50 extra but very good value compared to what you would pay at other hotels of this standard in London. The bar is maybe one area where you might say the standard is poorer. Not a hotel bar where you would pop in for a drink.
Overall, I was most impressed and will certainly use it again.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad you enjoyed your breakfast. As we are a Victorian townhouse the bar is small but cozy.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed for one night (room 304). Hotel is very well located, extremely clean. The room was a great size, loved The White Company toiletries. (If I was to day one negative the room was slightly warm, no big issue though). Our room overlooked the Cromwell Road and there absolutely no issue with noise.
We didn't eat there but enjoyed a lovely drink in bar pre meeting friends.
Overall a great little boutique hotel, we will be back.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Tomwri37
Thank you for your positive review. The temperature can be adjusted using the control panel by the door.
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Just around the corner from the Earls Court station. Many food/beverage options, including Starbucks, grocery and restaurants. First impression was a lovely, modern entrance and lobby. Staff was friendly and helpful. Gave me Wi-Fi code before my room was ready. Small rooms are the norm in London. As a solo guest, I had the smallest room, top floor (409) which was perfectly fine for one person. Comfy bed. Also an interior room, but two skylights made it very bright without lamps. Bathroom was unexpectedly large. My only complaint was that the shower was just too small. I kept the door open just to move. Elevator was prompt. Didn't use the hotel's café. This is a great place if you use your hotel for sleeping and changing. I spend most of my time out and about in town. Wasn't looking for other amenities this trip. Noticed other guests were return customers, too.

Room Tip: X09 rooms are interior, singles. Top floor has skylights. From the fire escape map, all the rooms lo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DC_Diva
Many thanks for your kind review. We hope you can come and stay with us soon.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We arrived on Friday 11 October 2013 and checked into our room - which was so tiny you could not swing a cat - and we had upgraded to a "deluxe" room - not impressed. Tired after travelling down from Manchester we headed to the bar for a drink. Well the bar area resembles something like a "gentleman’s" club setting rather than swanky boutique hotel - which I might add shuts at 11pm - the restaurant (which we did not try) shuts at 10pm so when we returned later in the evening we ordered a sandwich which took an hour to arrive, was stale and tasted like cardboard. Shocking.

The rooms have no tea or coffee making facilities and the room services is shocking at best - we tried to order a pot of coffee in the morning and what turned up looked and tasted more like cold tar - we requested a replacement which was no better so we gave up and headed out.

The lock on our door stopped working Saturday morning so we reported this to reception and the "handy man" came along to fix it. When we returned later that day the door was still not fixed and so we had to sleep that night on the ground floor with the door open - a chair firmly wedged under the handle - not ideal. The staff - didn't have great English and were not really interested in helping the situation.

The place is worn and tatty, the towels and gowns needed replacing. The rooms need a good clean and lick of paint.

All in all NOT WORTH THE MONEY and very disappointing – would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tanya G
FredBartlett, Manager at The Rockwell, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
We are sorry that you feel so strongly about our hotel. Our deluxe rooms are large by London standards.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

I've stayed for 2 days for business reasons. Room is very small but clean. Location is great as it is 5 mins walking from Earls Court Metro Station. Staff is nice and welcoming. Breakfast OK and nice garden. Recommended for short period of time and for those who don t need/like large rooms.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Marionastra
Thank you for your review. Our smaller single rooms are intended for shorter stays- as you rightly point out they make an ideal place to rest one's head for visiting businessmen.

Deal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights in room 101 - apparently a superior room- modern, clean and tasteful. AC a little noisy - remote falling apart but functional - extractor fan in bathroom not working.No coffee or tea in room - and very disappointing to be charged an extra £6.50 for a tea and coffee less than an hour after we had eaten breakfast - even though breakfast service was still on. One girl serving breakfast could have really used some help - although she maintained her calm, friendly manner.
Almost wonderful..I'd definitely give this one a second chance

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
FredBartlett, Manager at The Rockwell, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay so much- despite the minor problems.