“Best nights sleep ever...”
Review of The Rockwell

The Rockwell
Ranked #290 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Hove, United Kingdom
“Best nights sleep ever...”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Fantastic, stylish boutique hotel with great attention to detail and friendly welcoming staff. We stayed there as a special business treat (my wife and business partner thought we were staying at a local Travel Lodge) we have a small business and were exhibiting at the near by Earls Court. We were on our feet all day at the exhibition and The Rockwell was the perfect retreat, we had a 3 night stay in one of their lovely garden rooms, which included dinner, bed and breakfast. Wonderful 3 course evening meals and a good choice of breakfasts. The garden rooms are medium size, but tick all of the ‘luxury boxes’, thanks to luxurious beds with Egyptian cotton sheets, warm duvets which resulted in the 3 of the best nights sleeps we have ever had! There is also an on-suite and doors that open out into your own private space. We will be back. Thank you Rockwell.

Room Tip: Garden room are nice and quiet
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Thai first
London, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed at The Rockwell in late November/early December on business. I chose the hotel because I tend to like smaller "boutique" hotels rather than large conglomerates. In the past few years I have stayed at multiple hotels in London but never the same one twice because none of them warranted this based on cost, cleanliness, staff friendliness etc. The Rockwell changed all this - I will be back!

The hotel is located near Earl's Court which is on the fringe of zones 1/2 for the tube. This is nice because you will save a bit travelling into the city. It is easy to get to from Heathrow - I took the tube then a 5 minute walk from the Earl's Court station. There are lots of pubs and restaurants within easy walking distance.

My room at The Rockwell was clean and well organized. It was not a huge room but I certainly didn't feel cramped. All the fixtures in the bathroom and the room itself seemed to be very new and were top end. I asked for a room at the back of the hotel which was easy to get to from the elevator or stairs and as very quiet. Internet was perfect.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. As an example when I booked online I could only get one of the two nights I needed. I emailed the hotel and got a quick response confirming my second night at the same rate. During my stay the front desk staff always gave me a friendly greeting.

I had read some reviews that indicated breakfast/dinner service was poor. The dining room is small with limited seating. The first morning I had breakfast it was packed and yes I had to wait a few minutes longer with my morning coffee and newspaper. This could happen anywhere - it certainly wasn't a deal breaker for me. The second morning was very fast. I did not have dinner at the hotel - too many other great places nearby.

Would I go back - ABSOLUTELY. The cost was 50% lower than I have ever paid in London and the overall quality was much higher. This has to be one of the best value hotels in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank To_Far_From_Paradise
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

My parents were visiting London for Christmas and stayed at the London Marriott Kensington just down the road from The Rockwell. Owing to the price of their hotel I opted for the cheaper option and decided to stay here. Regretfully I feel I made a mistake.

My parents and I decided to have dinner at The Rockwell on my first night. We were the ONLY THREE PEOPLE in the dining room and ordered a fillet steak and two chicken supreme meals and a bottle of white wine.

Half an hour later there was no sign of our food. This was still despite the fact we were the only three in the dining room. Half an hour later - still no food. My dad had decided at this point that within 5 minutes had the meals not have arrived at our table that we would pay for our wine and leave. The meals did indeed arrive 5 minutes later. That was a 1 hour and 5 minutes waiting time. Again I will repeat we were the ONLY THREE eating in the dining room.

The waitress lacked any type of personality. She did not apologise for the lengthy waiting time. She also stood and stared at my parents the entire time they were eating and made them feel uncomfortable. My dad had the fillet steak. It was the tiniest piece of steak I have seen in my life. It arrived with burnt chips. All this for a whoppping £22!!! We did not leave a tip. It wasn't deserved. Just appalling.

My room was OK. The shower was very good.

But all in all the service in this hotel is very poor. On the morning of my departure (I did not have breakfast - maybe had I ordered it the night before it would have arrived by 9am that morning - sorry about my sarcasm but I feel it's deserved).

When my parents next visit I shall be staying with them in the London Marriott Kensington. For a few more pounds I feel it's worth it.

Room Tip: Don't eat in the dining room!!
4 Thank djfunnyboi79
Wirral, merseyside
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I booked two nights at this hotel because of its location. The location is excellent, close to major attractions, and major shopping places. The rooms are generally good, and reasonably clean. Reception staff are not professional, and extremely unhelpful. Breakfast is dreadful.

5 Thank nouta1
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 9 December 2013

choosing a hotel on the web is always going to be a gamble but this time I made a great choice. Yes the single rooms are small but well-designed to provide all you need for a place to sleep and do some work. The rooms were clean, the service was friendly and helpful, the buffet breakfast was excellent with a wide choice.

Plenty of interesting artwork on the walls and good modern design throughout.

The location is good with Earls Court underground a few minutes walk away and buses to many destinations passing in close proximity.

I am happy to recommend this hotel unreservedly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank HARRY H
San Francisco
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My tall husband, (6'6")", myself and our 3 year old son are visiting family in England over the holidays and wanted to spend one night in London in a boutique hotel. The Rockwell was recommended, and we were excited about a room with a "king" size bed available! However, when I emailed via the booking site to make sure our toddler can share the bed, Farhan said we could not book that room. Only a twin with a pull out sofa - for $150 more. When I specified my husband's height and the king bed would be best for us and offered to pay extra for our toddler, the reply (this time from Alexandra Stephan) was firm "You may stay in the room with the king size bed, but only two adults (another words "leave your kid at home.") The policy says "kids under 3 stay for free if sharing a bed." but evidently only for certain rooms. Reading the reviews online, I see many share the poor customer service experience. Sadly we had to cancel due to customer service and are staying in a large, kid friendly hotel nearby.

Room Tip: make sure you verify what room kids are allowed before showing up.
4 Thank GetMeOutOfThisFog
York
Reviewed 1 December 2013

From the outset, this looked like a small, pleasant hotel. I was in London for an evening function so just a one night stay and most of it away from the hotel. Essentially a place to sleep and not much more. It's about a 5 minute walk from Earls Court underground station with plenty of small shops, restaurants and a couple of pubs in the area. It's on a very busy road and I thought it could be noisy inside the hotel. It wasn't and I don't think I heard any traffic noise at all inside my room.

The staff are pleasant and helpful with all the information you would need provided on check in. The reception area is small but well appointed and everything was clean and tidy. There is a small lift available but I climbed the stairs to the top (4th) floor and wished I had taken the lift by the time I got to my room.

I had a small single room which was sufficient although if I was staying longer than just one night, I would go for a double room. The room was comfortable, it had a free room safe large enough for a laptop computer, a TV, minibar, hairdryer and all the normal things you expect in a city hotel. The bed was a large single and comfortable, the bathroom was bright and airy despite having the only external light from a skylight. There was enough wardrobe space, unusually this was in the bathroom but didn't matter much to me on this particular occasion. I stayed in late November found that the room temperature was a little on the warm side but this may have been because I was on the top floor.

A nice stay, albeit a very brief one.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
FredBartlett, Manager at The Rockwell, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
We are very pleased that you liked our hotel. The single rooms are designed for one or two night stays such as yours. They are small but well appointed and their size is reflected in the low price.
Regards, Fred Bartlett