“Not just a hotel - but like a home away from home”

Montagu Place Hotel
Ranked #27 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Stumbled upon this little gem of a hotel when looking for hotels in close proximity to the venue where my friends and I were attending a party. The Georgian Townhouse roots and all the charm of the property have been retained, whist being combined with the comfort and contemporary style of modern day living.
From the moment we crossed the threshold and were so warmly greeted, we felt as if we'd come home.
The staff were very courteous and helpful. Every member of staff encountered within the hotel smiled at and acknowledged the guests. So refreshing to come across people who really care about their guests and so very obviously take a pride in providing great service in order to enhance the guest's experience. Many of the "big boys" in the hotel business could learn a thing or two from Montagu Place.
We booked a "Fancy" room on the top floor which was bright and spacious, tasefully decorated and very quiet. The shower room was quite dinky, (ie small but perfectly formed) but we were happy to see space sacrificed in the bathroom in order to allow for a seating area in the bedroom as was the case here.
We loved this hotel, would definitely stay again and would highly reccommend this establishment. Thanks also to the GM who, when we were checking out, gave us an excellent lunch venue recommedation to a nearby gastropub. This topped off our experience. Well done Montagu Place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Montagu Place Hotel

Reviewed 8 July 2011

Stayed here with my husband for one night in a Swanky room at the front of the hotel on the 2nd floor. The staff, led by manager Dimitrius, were excellent: friendly, attentive and professional. The room was spacious, the bathroom beautiful (huge bath, separate shower cubicle and two basins) and both were spotlessly clean. The location is excellent, just off Baker Street and we will certainly return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Ive just spent 3 nights at this fabulous hotel with my mum. This was my Christmas pressie to my mum & i couldnt have picked a better hotel for us to stay in.
All of the staff are so friendly, professional and nothing is too much trouble for them. I had requested an early check in & this was not a problem for them. They helped with our bags, welcomed us back to the hotel each day, asked how we had slept & hailed a taxi for us.
We stayed in a Swanky room and couldnt fault it one bit- our room faced the road but we did not have any trouble with road noise. The room had everything that we needed- the iPod docking system on the alarm clock was a lovely touch. Our bathroom was huge with a walk in shower & a separate bath. Molton Brown toiletries gave it a luxurious feel as did the chunky bathrobes.
We had breakfast each morning which was plentiful.
If i stay in London again, i will definately be returning here- we couldnt ask for more!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bakererica
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We stayed at the Montagu Place Hotel for 3 nights in early June.
The hotel is in a PERFECT location - on a quiet street, minutes away from Oxford street, Hyde Park & 2 tube stations - couldn't ask for a better location.

Our room was in the "basement" floor, quiet, tidy and clean. Although we took the Comfy room (I believe it's the smallest of the 3 room types offered), we had plenty of room for our huge suitcases (and all the shopping bags...).
The bathroom was small but efficient, the Molton Brown toiletries (I hope that's the correct term) were really nice, as were the bottles of water & the cafetiere.
There's also free WiFi with a good connectivity & a nice size flat screen TV.

My only remark is the room & bathroom could use a bit of fresh paint...

In short - good value for your money, definitely check it out if you're planning a trip to London. I know we'd love to stay there next time we visit.

1  Thank KerenISL
Pa1N, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am glad that you liked your room and our location.

Our maintenance has been dispatched to do a bit of TLC on the bedroom as a result of your comments and I hope next time you visit it visit it will be nothing but pristine.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 June 2011

A lovely and very comfortable place to stay in a charming historic building. The staff was very nice and the room was very spacious. I'd definitely stay here again.

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I hope to welcome you back in the future personally, as I would be very keen to find out why you felt unable to give us an excellent rating.

Please do let me know if there is anything I can do in the meantime.

Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed here the week of the Royal wedding when London was kind of crazy. We had a booking snafu that was mostly my fault, so we ended up 1 night in comfy room with a double bed and 4 in a much more spacious fancy room with a queen bed and 2 large windows facing the street. It's worth the extra money. The manager prides the hotel on its service and he worked hard to accomodate us. He also gave us great reataurant recommendations in the neighborhood. The Polish staff was excellent and very nice and friendly as well. The rooms were nice and modern, but not as luxurious as other 4* hotels where we've stayed. The bathroom was tiny, but we asked for the one with a shower and no tub. The location is quiet, but close to a lot of things. The bus stops about 100 meters from the door and the tube is a 5 minute walk. The hotel will flag a taxi in 5 minutes, easy. Breakfast was very nice and worth the cost to us. Breads, freash fruit, cereals, cold meats and cheeses, juices, coffee & tea plus they will cook eggs to order. If you like small hotels and don't care about the amenities you won't go wrong here. It's not cheap (of course the $ sucks these days) but I think it's reasonable for what you get and the location in London. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GB51

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

We now know your requirements, and I promise no more snafu's in the future.

I will review our room amenities to see if we can add a touch more luxury to the rooms. The Ipod / Iphone docking stations have already been ordered.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 June 2011

A renovated historical building, this boutique hotel was a real find for us. Situated in lovely Marleybone, the hotel offers luxury comfort and professional service. In particular, both Dimitrius (the manager) and Michael (who worked the desk) provided us with all the amenities and service you would ever want or need. To begin, Michael opened the door when we arrived, took care of our bags, and served us wine at the desk/bar. We had a bad experience at a previous hotel in Paris, so we were struck by the contrast of all this hotel had to offer. Dimitrius couldn't have been more gracious and lovely. Michael was just as accommodating. We felt like we had arrived! We could have stayed longer, engaging in conversation with Michael and Dimitrius. WARMTH may be the best word to describe both of these individuals and the hotel itself. Requesting a cab to take us to the Globe Theater, Dimitrius walked out of the hotel, walked down the street, and hailed us a cab. He had to "ride" with the cab driver back to the hotel to pick us up. Even the cab driver, Tony, was amazed at what a nice guy Dimitrius was. Now how many managers do you know who would go to such lengths -- and that was only the beginning. We highly recommend the Montagu Place Hotel, and we look forward to our return visit.

Room Tip: Upgrade from the

Dear DocPat1,

Once again huge thank you for staying with us and your kind words about myself and Michael.

I firmly believe that no duty of service should be above anyone working in hospitality and I am very glad that I had a chance to take care of your personally.

I hope to have the opportunity to do so again in the future.