“Wonderful Boutique Hotel in London”

Montagu Place Hotel
Ranked #65 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Boutique Hotel in London”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed for 4 days, a few minutes walk to Oxford Street, half an hour stroll takes you to Buckingham Palace. Staff couldn't have been more helpful. This is a delightful small hotel that's well looked after. If you don't like the impersonal, crowded city centre hotels then choose Montagu Place. We don't seek a cooked breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed the leisurely continental breakfast in convivial surroundings. The hotel doesn't provide meals but there's loads of choices close by for dinner. We did eat in one night, courtesy of their relationship with a local Thai restaurant, and that was good value and very enjoyable, eating in the small dining room. It does feel a bit like being a house guest but that's no bad thing. Would I recommend it to friends, most definitely.

Room Tip: Swanky room worth the extra, with a small balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Colin P
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest,
First and foremost I would like to thank you for choosing Montagu Place Hotel as your place to stay in London and for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.
We are very glad that the hotel location was convenient for you and that you find our staff helpful. We do try to create homely atmosphere so our guest could feel comfortable in our hotel.
Thank you for recommending Montagu Place Hotel and we hope to welcome you back at in the near future.
Warm regards
Marta Wasilewska - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I stayed at here for four nights at the end of September. I was traveling solo and it was my first time in London. The hotel staff was fabulous - they were very helpful and friendly, giving me excellent tips and suggestions on where to go. Unlike other hotels where the cleaning staff may start knocking on the door when I am sleeping in, the cleaning of the room was done without disturbing me at all and very promptly after I had stepped out for a little while. The location cannot be beaten, I was very pleased to be within walking distance to all the places I had hoped to visit. My only complaint is that the room was not soundproof and it got could be a bit noisy in the early morning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback from your recent stay at Montagu Place Hotel. We appreciate the time you've taken to share about your positive experiences while staying with us.

It was a pleasure to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and I am particularly pleased that you found our team to be welcoming and friendly throughout, which is exactly what we aim to achieve for every guest in our care.

We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to London. and if I can ever assist in any way please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Perfect location as convenient for both the tube and buses. Walkable to Oxford St and Marylebone high road.
Loved the room, great bed. Bathroom is fab with Molton Brown products that are a decent size and so worth taking. Staff helpful and for it's price point cannot be beaten. Will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laurence p
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at Montagu Place hotel and sharing your experience. Guest feedback helps us measure our performance and we appreciate your taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us.
It was a pleasure to have you with us and I am thrilled you enjoyed our location, your room, Molton Brown product and of course the service from our team.
I hope that we will now be your hotel of choice when in London. I certainly look forward to providing you with the same level of service on your next trip and should you require any further assistance from us please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights while my husband was attending a work conference nearby at a hotel in Marylebone. If you like boutique bed & breakfast hotels, this is the place for you. It has stylish, modern decor, reasonable prices, and is a short walk from the Baker Street tube. The WiFi was fast, but has a tendency to drop you from the network if you idle for a couple minutes. (This means you have to constantly log back on.) The breakfast is 15 GBP/person which includes tea/coffee/juice, croissants, cereal, and eggs made upon request. The hotel staff was able to call us a cab at the desired time, which we appreciated.

The drawbacks are you don't have the amenities that large hotels offer: a gym, an extensive room service menu, an elevator/lift, on-site restaurants, and to some degree the service. The hotel staff carried up our suitcases upon arrival. When we departed, my husband lugged my suitcase down the 3 flights of stairs because we felt bad asking the hotel staff to do it. When we arrived, I noticed the bathroom sink wasn't draining well. When we left for the day, we asked the staff to fix it. They did fix it, but they acted uncomfortable that we mentioned it. It felt like you were staying at a friend's home and complained to them about their home. The shower didn't drain well either and this resulted in a small lake in the bathroom, but we didn't mention it because of the way they reacted about the sink. Also, one night the guests in the adjacent room ordered Thai room service and left their dirty dishes outside their room. The smell was very strong and unpleasant and it was a while before the dishes were cleared away. It's possible that the guests hadn't called the front desk, so they were unaware. Again, because it's such a small hotel, we felt bad asking for things or complaining in any way.

We had a "Comfy Double Bedroom" and I don't recommend it since the room size and the double bed were too small. I recommend upgrading to the "Fancy" or "Swanky" bedrooms. We glanced in one of them and noticed how large and luxurious it was.

In conclusion, if you prefer boutique hotels and are aware of these drawbacks up front, I'm sure you will have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank nyctraveljunkies
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. We very much appreciate your comments and your thorough description of our facility regarding your recent stay at The Montagu Place Hotel. We take your comments incredibly seriously and see it as essential for our learning and improvement processes.
First of all I would like offer my sincere apology for the shortcomings that you have experienced during your stay. We set very high standards for ourselves not only in terms of our service but also in terms of room maintenance and housekeeping. I am therefore sorry to read that there was a problem with your sink and shower, this is clearly an issue which we should have rectified prior to your arrival and I can assure you I have already addressed this to my team. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention, we learn from these issues and ultimately improve our overall service efficiency by closing these little gaps in our service.
Whilst I am pleased you enjoyed your overall stay I obviously take on board your comments regarding the formality of our service, we always want to be professional and friendly but never want to come across as obtrusive in any way. Generally we get brilliant feedback about our team but I recognize and appreciate that there will always be room for improvement and I want to assure you that I take your comments very seriously.
Our townhouse hotel indeed does not have many amenities that are expected from a larger hotel and I do understand it might me something that now everyone is comfortable with, however we are very proud to be a home away from home for many of our guests.
I hope we will get another chance to welcome you back to our hotel so I can personally ensure Montagu Place will exceed your expectations. If there is anything i can assist yo with at any point please feel free to contact me directly on gm@montagu-place.co.uk.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest regards,

Mullaloo, Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of August. Our room was on the 3rd floor, there is no lift, so if you have trouble climbing stairs etc, request a lower floor. For us, this was no problem.
Our room was lovely! The bed was very comfortable, the sheets, quilts and pillows lovely. The towels in the bathroom were of a high quality. The staff we encountered were great. We were greeted on the first day by Giulia who was most helpful and friendly, assisting us with an earlier than usual check-in. Andreas manned the front desk for most of our stay and kept us entertained whilst at the bar and shared helpful travel advice which was a Godsend. He also made a great "Pimms"!
The hotel is made up of two apartment buildings converted into a hotel. It is in the middle of a residential street but within walking distance of many major attractions.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this lovely hotel or returning to stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pollyester7
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Montagu Place Hotel.

I enjoyed reading your comments and very pleased to know that we were able to deliver that kind of accommodation and service that you were looking for.
You also highlighted how the staff made the difference. We are proud of them all; our intention is to continue growing and developing professional, knowledgeable and friendly people like Giulia and Andreas into our business
Thank you for highlighting them as a stand out employees, they are brilliant asset to our team and I know they will be thrilled when we share your review.
Thank you for recommending us to others and we look forward to welcoming you back and if I can ever assist in any way please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here when going to wembley for a concert. Ideal for this as only minutes from Baker St. underground. Lots of nice place to eat and drink close by,too. The hotel was great, only had a few rooms. The staff that we met were all very young, very pleasant and helpful. The hotel has only a small bar and evening meals are from a local restaurant. The breakfast is continental but very pleasant. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking your time and post your feedback on TripAdvisor; it is really appreciated. It was a pleasure having you stay with us – we hope you had a great time at Montagu Place Hotel.

Thank you for your comment regarding our location, breakfast and your overall experience with our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Montagu Place in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

It felt more like staying in a friend's house rather than a hotel - for me that was fine, for others it might lack the buzz you normally get from a standard hotel. My room was hidden away downstairs, but was of a nice size and the bed was really comfortable. Bathrrom was small but fine and had great towels and nice molton brown toiletries. Location great if you want to pop to Selfridges on Oxford Street or Home House in Portman Square or whatever. Lots of nice local restaurants. Staff were very discreet but also very friendly and helpful - an asset to the hotel. Didn't stay for breakfast. I think this is a great hotel for people either on business and want some quiet or shoppers who just want to relax after some retail therapy....

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing review of your stay at Montagu Place Hotel London, it is always a pleasure to read such a positive feedback.

It is always our hope that guests leave feeling well cared for and relaxed and we could not be happier to know that we achieved that for you. Comments like yours truly inspire us to work harder every day striving for excellence in everything we do.

We look forward seeing you soon and hope you will enjoy your stay with us again.