“A treat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #102 of 1,086 Hotels in London
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
“A treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife and I were looking for a reasonably priced hotel in London to celebrate our wedding anniversary and a bit of 'Googling' we booked a couple of nights at Montagu Place. What a find. You read reviews here on Tripadvisor and other sites and wonder if the reviews are truthful and in the case of this hotel you can be assured that it is all true. A small frontage on a quiet street you feel welcomed by the staff. In fact, every staff member was great and very friendly. They have 3 categories of room and we had one of their lowest categories (called 'Comfy') and it was situated downstairs in the basement - I thought that may have been an issue but there was a large window that allowed daylight into the room. The room was very comfy and clean. The room contained everything that you could wish for, tea and coffee facilities - including proper coffee and a cafetiere and bottles of still water. There bathroom was very clean and although compact (aka smallish) had it all, great shower/bath and Molton Brown toiletries. Another nice touch is that both the tea/coffee facilities and toiletries were replenished during the room service. Great. The in-room air conditioning unit could be a little noisy but after a while you didn't really notice it. The only real downside is that the hotel doesn't really do food as such. If you want something substantial then they have an arrangement with a local Thai restaurant which can deliver food and breakfast is buffet style approach but no full english is offered. However, it is a very short walk down to Baker Street where there are many eateries. We will definitely return in the near future and I look forward to dealing with the extremely efficient, friendly and professional staff in future.

Room Tip: We had 'comfy' room 1 in the basement and it was great, very quiet and very comfy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scottjobyfleet
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,

First and foremost I would like to say that it was great pleasure to have you with us in our hotel.
Thank you very much for taking time and posting such a glowing review form your last visit at Montagu Place Hotel.
I am absolutely thrilled to hear that we managed to confirm all those good words you had read about us on Tripadvisor. I can assure you that comments like yours inspire us to work even harder to strive for excellence in everything we do.
We really look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me in person if you need any assistance in the meantime.

Warm regards,
Marta Wasilewska - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I love this hotel. It is one of the nicest, friendliest and best located small hotel in London. The beds are very comfortable, the breakfast is good and the neighbourhood is interesting. Free wifi and very good toiletries. There is no left but the staff are very happy to carry your luggage. The best part of this hotel however are the kind, friendly and helpful staff. Fantastic customer service which is deadly often the exception in London these days. I highly recommend it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lp9994
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and submitting this splendid review on TripAdvisor.
This is great pleasure to read that the customer service in our hotel is exceptional, rooms comfortable and location convenient. I am very pleased that we managed to deliver this kind of service you were looking for and therefore you were so kind to recommend us to other TripAdvisor users.
I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in our hotel on your next visit in London and if I can ever assist you in any way please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Montagu Place Hotel is a boutique hotel just off Mayfair in Marlebone district - a 5 minute ride from Paddington station. It is in walking distance to everything in London, as well as close to the Marble Arch underground. The price was great for London as everything is just so outrageous, this was a very reasonable treat.
Service from a host of young Europeans was 1st rate, in fact it the staff at Montagu were more polite and service oriented than the staff at the Savoy Hotel. They have been very well trained.
The rooms are small but not too small, they are well appointed and clean and the beds are very comfortable. There was a bit of noise from the stairwell when other guests dragged their luggage at 7am but other than that it was a very quiet hotel.
we returned one evening and enjoyed drinks in the lounge as there is a bar at the front desk. I would definitely return to Montagu Place Hotel and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: I would suggest ensuring your room is above ground level.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PGYYC
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and posting such a splendid review from your last stay at Montagu Place Hotel.
I am very proud to read that we managed to deliver the kind of service you were looking for. Words like yours are the biggest reword and I can assure you that it will make us work even harder to fulfill our guests’ needs and expectation during their stay.
Thank you very much for recommending us to other TripAdvisor users and we look forward to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.

Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Tucked away in between Oxford Street and Regents Park on quiet Montagu Place, the hotel is wonderful from A-Z. When we arrived at the hotel, it looked like a wonderful central London home. We were immediately met at the door by a friendly member of the small staff. You enter to hotel into a warm, modern living room type setting, which is also the reception and small bar. In the evening it is nice to relax for a cocktail or glass of wine before heading out on the town. We were quickly checked into our fantastic room, and the staff proved to be very helpful in suggesting and arranging dinner reservations to meet our needs (excellent).

The hotel has a limited number of rooms, but each room has a beautiful, clean and modern design bathroom, and a comfortable, clean and welcoming bedroom. There is no lift in the hotel, but this is not really needed in the small hotel, and definitely would only take up valuable space.

The hotel is close walking distance to the Subway, Hyde Park, Regents Park, Oxford Street, Marlyebone Street, Regents Street and central London. Short taxi to Paddington Station. In the morning we would go for morning run in either Park.

We were happily surprised on the quality of the hotel. It appears that they have a lot of repeat guests, as they are always full.

I travel more than 225 days per year around the world, and I will definitely return to the Montagu Place Hotel.

Room Tip: Lots of great little restaurants a long nearby Marlybone Street.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank maxdanger
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and submitting such a wonderful review from your last visit in our hotel.
I am proud to read that we made your stay so memorable that you want to come back to Montagu Place Hotel. That is the biggest reward for our work and efforts to offer our guests the best possible customer service.
Thank you very much for recommending us to other Tripadvisor users. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in our hotel on your next visit in London and if I can ever assist you in any way please to not hesitate to contact me personally.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

A simple but luxurious room with a wonderfully comfortable bed, all the mod cons you would expect and even a very small balcony. The location is excellent and the staff lovely. I thought my room was a little more expensive than it should have been.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ncw73
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback from your last stay at Montagu Place Hotel.
I am very pleased to read that you find our location convenient, the room comfortable and our customer service excellent.
I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.

Marta Wasilewska- General Manager
Weston, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

this was a great little hotel. the receptionist couldn't have been nicer. What a shockingly good surprise that wifi was complimentary and fast. the decor is understated but chic. No lift but if you can scale stairs it is not a problem. Woke to the smell of pastries - just like home, if my wife were a morning person, and a pastry chef. Room size was large compared to other more expensive hotels I've stayed at in the area. Very relaxing, couldn't be more satisfied.

Room Tip: stayed in room 24. Street facing but didn't really hear any street noise. Slept very soundly.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and submitting such a splendid review from your last stay at Montagu Place Hotel.
I am delighted that you found our hotel very comfortable and relaxing but most of all I am very happy to read that my team managed to deliver this kind of service you were looking for therefore you couldn't be more satisfied.
I truly hope we will be able to welcome you back in our hotel in the future and please do not hesitate to contact me personally when you decide to stay with us on your next visit in London.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

If you are looking for a place close to Paddington (5-10 min. cab), with shopping and restaurants nearby, this place is perfect. I've stayed at the Indigo because I can walk to Paddington, but there are very few restaurants nearby, and no shopping. There are 25-30 boutiques on Marylebone High Street (pubs & coffee shops too). Baker street is the closest cross street, it has an Upper West side feel to it (strollers, nail salons, and other services). This hotel is as lovely as the posh places I've stayed in Mayfair (there is no marble in the bathroom, but it's beautiful, new tile). It's not run down like a lot of these small hotels, with 10-year old photos on the website. This is not a "destination hotel," because it's small. It has a 6-seater bar, and a cozy breakfast room. Excellent for a romantic weekend -- or if you're traveling alone. The ladies at the front desk are so warm and lovely. Like staying with a friend.

Room Tip: My room faces the street and it's noisy. Ask for one facing the back if you don't have earpl...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Max98116
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and submitting such a wonderful review from your last stay at Montagu Place Hotel.
I am pleased to read that you liked our décor and you found our location very convenient therefore you could take the most from your visit in London
We are proud of what we are doing and we truly want to create ‘home away from home’ atmosphere.
Thank you very much for recommending us to other TripAdvisor users and we are hoping to be able to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.