“Just right for a short stay in London!”

Montagu Place Hotel
Ranked #64 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Just right for a short stay in London!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is in a great location right near Baker Street Underground station giving easy access to the whole of London! It's in a nice, quiet area despite its central location so you enjoy a peaceful stay in very comfortable rooms and beds! The staff were lovely and very helpful-upgrading us from a comfy room to an executive room as we were celebrating an anniversary! I would recommend this lovely hotel to anyone wanting a slightly more original and personal stay in London (only 16 rooms in the hotel so all guests remembered!).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and posting your feedback form your last stay at Montagu Place Hotel.

I am delightful to read that you had so exceptional stay in our hotel that you decided to recommend us to other TripAdvisor users. Thank you very much for choosing our hotel to celebrate your anniversary and we do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Marta Wasilewska - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I read a lot of reviews on this hotel before booking (on this Web site and a few others) so maybe my expectations were set too high from the beginning. I agree with everything said before about the wonderfully helpful and friendly staff. Their hospitality felt genuine and they were very attentive - examples were providing refreshments when I was waiting in the lobby, helping me with my case both up and down the stairs, and flagging me a cab when I was leaving. I would say that I was mostly disappointed with the room. I upgraded to what they call the "swanky" room, from the basic double ("comfy"?) as I wanted a bigger bed, and all the queen rooms were full. The room itself was a little bare - it could have done with one more piece of furniture for putting bits and pieces on - instead there was a smallish desk in the corner that had to hold everything. More importantly, the bed (the main reason I upgraded) was not comfortable! It comprised two twins pushed together, and the ridge in the middle was just awful. The bathroom was a very decent size with a lovely big bath, but the shower didn't drain well, and was strangely located close to the shower door, so, if you can imagine, you had to step over a pool of water to get out! However, the Molton Brown bathroom products were a lovely touch. Breakfast was good - cold cuts, fresh fruit, etc, plus choice of cooked eggs - nevertheless, this would be infinitely improved if the hotel had the capability to provide a full English! Finally, the hotel location is unbeatable, but, there is actually lot of choice (competition) in this area. To and from Paddington was about 5-10 min by cab (not more than GBP6-7), Oxford Street was a 10-15 min leisurely walk, and there were heaps of places to eat around and about, particularly on Baker Street.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yeemui
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and submitting review from your last visit at Montagu Place Hotel. We take your comments very seriously and consider it as an essential part of our improving process.
First and foremost I would like to apologize for all shortcomings you have experienced on you stay and I can assure you that all of it have been already addressed to the relevant departments. Thank you for highlighting the positive and negative aspects of your experience in our hotel since based on that we strive to improve our service on all levels.
Nevertheless I’m very proud to read that we managed to deliver this kind of customer service you were looking for therefore we confirmed all the good wards you were reading about our staff.
I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in our hotel on your next visit in London and please do not hesitate to contact me in person if you need any further assistance.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for the second time a few weeks back and we were just as happy this time around. The staff couldn't be more friendly and welcoming, we have been upgraded to the next room category on both our stays. As a result of this I could not speak for the smaller rooms, but the comfy category is just right in size and sleep quality is amazing. Toiletries are of Molton and Brown variety (these things make a huge difference in impression for us with hotels) and bathrooms impeccably clean. The decorating is tasteful and personal enough for you to feel more like you are actually staying in someone's town house rather than a hotel. The breakfast is also great (also of great importance) and location is wonderful. In short, we were so well looked after and having stayed in other hotels in this price category in the city, I can definitely say that this is the best one. We will definitely stay here again the next time we are in town. Thank you to all the lovely staff!

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and posting such a wonderful review from your stay at Montagu Place Hotel.
We do want to create ‘home away from home’ atmosphere and I must say that this is the best reward for our work when our guests return to us. It is great pleasure to read that we manage to deliver this kind of service you were looking for.
Thank you very much for recommending us to other TripAdvisor users and we truly look forward to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.

West Byfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife and I were looking for a reasonably priced hotel in London to celebrate our wedding anniversary and a bit of 'Googling' we booked a couple of nights at Montagu Place. What a find. You read reviews here on Tripadvisor and other sites and wonder if the reviews are truthful and in the case of this hotel you can be assured that it is all true. A small frontage on a quiet street you feel welcomed by the staff. In fact, every staff member was great and very friendly. They have 3 categories of room and we had one of their lowest categories (called 'Comfy') and it was situated downstairs in the basement - I thought that may have been an issue but there was a large window that allowed daylight into the room. The room was very comfy and clean. The room contained everything that you could wish for, tea and coffee facilities - including proper coffee and a cafetiere and bottles of still water. There bathroom was very clean and although compact (aka smallish) had it all, great shower/bath and Molton Brown toiletries. Another nice touch is that both the tea/coffee facilities and toiletries were replenished during the room service. Great. The in-room air conditioning unit could be a little noisy but after a while you didn't really notice it. The only real downside is that the hotel doesn't really do food as such. If you want something substantial then they have an arrangement with a local Thai restaurant which can deliver food and breakfast is buffet style approach but no full english is offered. However, it is a very short walk down to Baker Street where there are many eateries. We will definitely return in the near future and I look forward to dealing with the extremely efficient, friendly and professional staff in future.

Room Tip: We had 'comfy' room 1 in the basement and it was great, very quiet and very comfy.
1 Thank scottjobyfleet
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,

First and foremost I would like to say that it was great pleasure to have you with us in our hotel.
Thank you very much for taking time and posting such a glowing review form your last visit at Montagu Place Hotel.
I am absolutely thrilled to hear that we managed to confirm all those good words you had read about us on Tripadvisor. I can assure you that comments like yours inspire us to work even harder to strive for excellence in everything we do.
We really look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me in person if you need any assistance in the meantime.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I love this hotel. It is one of the nicest, friendliest and best located small hotel in London. The beds are very comfortable, the breakfast is good and the neighbourhood is interesting. Free wifi and very good toiletries. There is no left but the staff are very happy to carry your luggage. The best part of this hotel however are the kind, friendly and helpful staff. Fantastic customer service which is deadly often the exception in London these days. I highly recommend it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lp9994
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and submitting this splendid review on TripAdvisor.
This is great pleasure to read that the customer service in our hotel is exceptional, rooms comfortable and location convenient. I am very pleased that we managed to deliver this kind of service you were looking for and therefore you were so kind to recommend us to other TripAdvisor users.
I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in our hotel on your next visit in London and if I can ever assist you in any way please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Montagu Place Hotel is a boutique hotel just off Mayfair in Marlebone district - a 5 minute ride from Paddington station. It is in walking distance to everything in London, as well as close to the Marble Arch underground. The price was great for London as everything is just so outrageous, this was a very reasonable treat.
Service from a host of young Europeans was 1st rate, in fact it the staff at Montagu were more polite and service oriented than the staff at the Savoy Hotel. They have been very well trained.
The rooms are small but not too small, they are well appointed and clean and the beds are very comfortable. There was a bit of noise from the stairwell when other guests dragged their luggage at 7am but other than that it was a very quiet hotel.
we returned one evening and enjoyed drinks in the lounge as there is a bar at the front desk. I would definitely return to Montagu Place Hotel and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: I would suggest ensuring your room is above ground level.
1 Thank PGYYC
Marta W, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and posting such a splendid review from your last stay at Montagu Place Hotel.
I am very proud to read that we managed to deliver the kind of service you were looking for. Words like yours are the biggest reword and I can assure you that it will make us work even harder to fulfill our guests’ needs and expectation during their stay.
Thank you very much for recommending us to other TripAdvisor users and we look forward to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.

Seattle
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Tucked away in between Oxford Street and Regents Park on quiet Montagu Place, the hotel is wonderful from A-Z. When we arrived at the hotel, it looked like a wonderful central London home. We were immediately met at the door by a friendly member of the small staff. You enter to hotel into a warm, modern living room type setting, which is also the reception and small bar. In the evening it is nice to relax for a cocktail or glass of wine before heading out on the town. We were quickly checked into our fantastic room, and the staff proved to be very helpful in suggesting and arranging dinner reservations to meet our needs (excellent).

The hotel has a limited number of rooms, but each room has a beautiful, clean and modern design bathroom, and a comfortable, clean and welcoming bedroom. There is no lift in the hotel, but this is not really needed in the small hotel, and definitely would only take up valuable space.

The hotel is close walking distance to the Subway, Hyde Park, Regents Park, Oxford Street, Marlyebone Street, Regents Street and central London. Short taxi to Paddington Station. In the morning we would go for morning run in either Park.

We were happily surprised on the quality of the hotel. It appears that they have a lot of repeat guests, as they are always full.

I travel more than 225 days per year around the world, and I will definitely return to the Montagu Place Hotel.

Room Tip: Lots of great little restaurants a long nearby Marlybone Street.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank maxdanger
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and submitting such a wonderful review from your last visit in our hotel.
I am proud to read that we made your stay so memorable that you want to come back to Montagu Place Hotel. That is the biggest reward for our work and efforts to offer our guests the best possible customer service.
Thank you very much for recommending us to other Tripadvisor users. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in our hotel on your next visit in London and if I can ever assist you in any way please to not hesitate to contact me personally.