“Brilliant little hotel if you can book it”

Montagu Place Hotel
Ranked #35 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Brussels
“Brilliant little hotel if you can book it”
Reviewed 13 November 2010

This hotel is quite a find, not too far from Baker Street tube station, walking distance from Oxford Street. Friendly staff and cozy little rooms!

Be warned, there's no elevator and the stairs are quite pokey, but that doesn't bother me at all.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Montagu Place hotel in London for 2 nights in September. This small hotel is super clean and the staff is incredibly warm and friendly -- caring without being intrusive. We arrived at the hotel earlier than expected and while our room was being readied, the staff offered us hot coffee and tea -- a lovely touch given that we had been traveling for 14 plus hours. The hotel is in a very quiet location but close to transportation with easy access to different parts of the city. The breakfast was delicious with lots of variety. We can't say enough good things about the Montagu other than we would defintely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2010

We were staying in the Montagu for only one night, having sold our house locally and starting a RTW trip the following day - however, my family had also stayed at the Montagu the previous Christmas and loved it just as much as we did. The staff are friendly and efficient, our room was immaculate, the location is perfect right in the centre of London (a short walk from Selfridges and Oxford Street) and it is very good value in what everyone knows is an expensive London market. We have also stayed in other, very reputable, London hotel chains and they were SO much worse than our experience in the Montagu. If you're in town for business or for fun, I couldn't recommend this boutique hotel more.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I just returned from 10 days in London, all of which was spent staying at the Montagu Place Hotel. I did a pretty exhaustive round of research on Central London hotels and this one seemed to have it all: great reviews, reasonable prices at the 4 star level, boutique-style/quaint and served breakfast. So I booked it, and was very glad I did!

Note: if you prefer larger, chain hotels, this isn't for you. It's only 16 rooms, set in a townhouse and there are no workout facilities, as well as their room service is a local thai restaurant (not from their own kitchen). They do serve breakfast and have tea service through the day though, as well as laundry service.

My main purpose of the trip was business, but I also stayed two weekends to site see, with my boyfriend joining me halfway through. It was important to me to not be in a cramped space, like so many European hotel rooms can be. Upon booking, I saw that only their smallest "Comfy" room was available, so I put a note asking to be placed in a larger room if one became available. About a week later, the manager, Dimitrios, called me personally stating that it I could be be moved into their Swanky deluxe room for only £30 more per night. Sold!! I also pre-bought breakfast daily for £10/day as apposed to £14 you would pay at the hotel.

My arrival was easy as I had pre-arranged a car service from Heathrow through the hotel. It cost £58, but was worth it to me not knowing the London area whatsoever. I was checked in to my room right away, number 32, and was glad to see it looked like what I had saw on their website. Huge bed and a divine bathroom, complete with a big tub. I knew I'd be comfortable here for 10 days.

Overall the service of the hotel is excellent: every single person that works there is helpful and kind. They remember who you are and don't try to slip in hidden charges on the bill. The location is fantastic, a couple blocks from the Baker Street Tube station, or Oxford Street, but in a quiet residential area. The breakfast is an assortment of rolls, mini cheeses, meats, yogurt, juice, and cereal--complete with eggs made to order and fresh coffee or tea. I ate there for 10 days in a row and didn't tire of it!

I would 100% stay here again, and probably will, as I will have to return often for business.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2010

A top notch experience all around. I will definitely stay again. I felt at home from the moment I arrived. The room was a decent size, by European standards, and very comfortable and well-appointed. Wifi was free, easy, and accessible all throughout the townhouse. There was complimentary bottles water, tea, coffee, and cookies in the room. The breakfast was delicious and included meats, breads, cereals, eggs and toast cooked per request, and a large ppt of coffee brought to table with cream and sugar on table (many hotels don't do this and make you get up for it or flag someone down to find it). The breakfast room was lovely and the service warm, friendly, and attentive. The hotel staff assiste me with some business needs (faxing, etc.) for no extra charge, and they found me a last-minute ticket to a popular show, booked it for me, and the tickets were waiting for me at the theater. The neighborhood is quiet, peaceful, easy walking distance to the Baker Street tube station and Marlyebone street shops, and a quick walk to Oxford street. Overall a fantastic stay and I'm looking forward to returning.

• Stayed September 2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2010

As the title says, this is a lovely boutique hotel, set on the corner of a very pretty garden square in central London. The style and feel of the hotel is of an elegant townhouse - and the staff are incredibly helpful and courteous so it feels a bit like staying in a friend's very lovely house. The room (their cheapest) that we stayed in was a good size and beautifully appointed. It was the small details that really impressed me though: a selection of glossy magazines in the bedrooms, 100ml molton brown shower gel in the bathroom, cafetiere coffee. It's also good value for this part of London.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Lurgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2010

The hotel offers the best of both worlds in terms of location as it is situated in a quiet residential area, yet so close to Baker St, Marylebone and Oxford St. I chose the hotel because of Trip Advisor reviews and I was not disappointed. I stayed in a "comfy" double room with my 13 year old daughter. The room had characater, was tastefully decorated and was more spacious than some London hotel rooms. We had Molton Brown products, filter coffee and bottles of water in the room. The room (number 1) was underneath reception, but there were no noise problems at all...the manager Dimitri stated they have recently invested in improved sound proofing; in actual fact, the hotel is wonderfully calm and tranquil! Breakfast was continental with good quality produce, and my daughter enjoyed wonderful scrambled eggs, freshly made smoothies and hot chocolate. Nothing was too much trouble for the hotel staff; I was blown away by how lovely they all are.

We booked directly with the hotel and the price for the room and breakfast was a real bargain; given the quality of the accomodation and the overall experience. The hotel allowed us to check in early on arrival, and kept our bags after check out which allowed us to continue sightseeing. The service at this hotel is excellent; a perfect mix of attentive but unobtrusive. Thank you so much to everyone at the Montagu Place..you made our trip to London even more special!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family