“Perfect!”

Montagu Place Hotel
Ranked #33 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 December 2010

This hotel is so perfect. We arrived 9th Dec, and checked out 12th Dec. Perfect accommodations for a couple to spend their holiday in London. Breakfast is not superior, but with cheese, ham, fresh bakery and fruits its all you need. They will also make you scrambled or boiled egg.

Rooms were nice, clean and very quiet.. 2 minutes walk distance from the bus, and a short 10 min walk from Oxford street.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 December 2010

God bless Trip Advisor, because it told me about Montagu Place Hotel. All the reviews are spot on. It's beautiful and quaint, with gorgeous rooms (a thick velvety bedspread in the Swanky rooms, spacious bathroom, fluffy robes). This hotel's best asset though is its amazing staff. I stay in hotels almost every weekend for work, and this is hands-down THE BEST service i have ever had. When we checked in (very early) our room wasn't ready yet so the sweet and lovely Marta offered us tea. We sat cozily in the front room/lobby on the comfy couches by the Christmas tree and sipped tea and checked email until the room was ready. Later that night we came in from shopping all day and decided to have a drink at the hotel bar. It was there we met the general manager Dimitrios, who was filling in for someone's shift. The Montagu should be careful, because the Ritz-Carlton would snatch this guy up in a second. Such a kind, warm-hearted, caring person. And he is completely on top of things. He treated us like royalty. We stayed at the bar and talked with him for hours. We only had one night at the Montagu, which made me sad. I can't wait to go back. This is definitely my top choice in London.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SuperWaterGirl
Reviewed 9 December 2010

Very nice hotel. Excellent reception staff and very welcoming.

Room is not large but very well appointed with a lovely bathroom (underfloor heating).

Breakfast is pretty low key, no fry up! Make sure to ask for two tea bags if you like proper tea

Will be back.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I should have written this up earlier (and just had to re-register to do so), but it slipped my mind, which isn't at all fair to this wonderful hotel. I was stuck in London for a week when the Icelandic volcano decided to act up, and the Montagu - and it's truly wonderful staff - saved me. The hotel and its staff are exceptional (I travel internationally for business a large percentage of my time, and this place stands out!). I recommend it without reservation.

The hotel booked by the people I met with tripled the room rates because (as far as I can tell) they could get away with it, and I decided I'd rather sleep in the train station than get gouged. Luckily, I googled first and the Montagu came up, and when I called them to ask about availability the gentleman who answered was amazingly helpful - I moved hotels that afternoon.

I had several enjoyable conversations with the staff at the little bar (of which the main desk is a part), and everyone did all they could to make my extra time in London effective. On top of the little french press and coffee in my room (standard, and a huge relief after the more common packets of instant coffee) and the included wireless internet, they did my laundry so that I could get through my unexpected additional week, they pointed me to good local coffee houses and lunch spots, and generally went out of their ways to make sure that I was comfortable and felt well-looked after (and I did). Everyone else in my working group who was also stranded was very jealous (yes, I gloated).

The rooms (I was in a neat attic room) are pleasant, the beds very comfortable, and everything was mostly well-kempt (they were apparently touching up the hallways the next week) and clean (the only 5 I've ever given for cleanliness was a German hotel that glistened). The hotel is off the Bakerloo stop, not too far, and the walk to Imperial through the park is pleasant in good weather.

The place can be a bit pricy if you're on a tight budget, or even on an expense account. I was lucky and got a good deal, and then -- when they found out about my first hotel's behavior -- they made it even better. That personal recognition of client stresses is what makes a hotel (or any service) stand out, and Montagu, under Demitrios' excellent captainship, does so in spades.

I really can't recommend this place enough. I look forward to the opportunity to go back and visit them sometime soon.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2010

This hotel is quite a find, not too far from Baker Street tube station, walking distance from Oxford Street. Friendly staff and cozy little rooms!

Be warned, there's no elevator and the stairs are quite pokey, but that doesn't bother me at all.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Montagu Place hotel in London for 2 nights in September. This small hotel is super clean and the staff is incredibly warm and friendly -- caring without being intrusive. We arrived at the hotel earlier than expected and while our room was being readied, the staff offered us hot coffee and tea -- a lovely touch given that we had been traveling for 14 plus hours. The hotel is in a very quiet location but close to transportation with easy access to different parts of the city. The breakfast was delicious with lots of variety. We can't say enough good things about the Montagu other than we would defintely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2010

We were staying in the Montagu for only one night, having sold our house locally and starting a RTW trip the following day - however, my family had also stayed at the Montagu the previous Christmas and loved it just as much as we did. The staff are friendly and efficient, our room was immaculate, the location is perfect right in the centre of London (a short walk from Selfridges and Oxford Street) and it is very good value in what everyone knows is an expensive London market. We have also stayed in other, very reputable, London hotel chains and they were SO much worse than our experience in the Montagu. If you're in town for business or for fun, I couldn't recommend this boutique hotel more.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple