“Bowling was good fun but the food was overpriced and terrible”

All Star Lanes-Holborn
Ranked #212 of 408 Fun & Games in London
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Went here for a friends birthday so there were around 12 of us. We had drinks, dinner and then bowling. The bowling was great fun, but nothing much different to a normal bowling alley, just fewer lanes and neon lighting.

Drinks were pricey and no draught beer!! Half the staff were good and attentive, half needed sacking there and then - managers need to have a shake down as there are staff there who couldnt give two hoots about being there or serving customers. Drinks bever came, bill was wrong, took wrong orders, no apologies by the way for any of this. Worst of all the beer was warm and served with a warm glass...

Food was expensive on the menu was expensive so i was expecting good things. I couldnt have been proved more wrong...small portions, gristly meat, lack of flavour, very greasy, side portions were far too small for the price. Some food was overcooked, some food was cold. I dont think there was a chef, instead a mircowave operator and a deep fat fryer. Very disappointed.

I wont be returning if i can help it, especially to eat. For a couple of cocktails and some bowling its not a bad venue. Sort the food and staff out and this would be a great venue.

1  Thank The_Sheriff

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I came here with my company for a staff night out - I myself had organised it and the person in charge of bookings (Amy) was really helpful and accomodating.

The atmosphere was really great fun - we all sat down to eat before our game and ate from the Eat, Drink, Bowl menu. Our lovely waitress did really well coping with all of us (25 over 6 different tables) and took our orders really efficiently. The cocktails were nice and arrived quickly. We all shared some starters and they were really tasty but note that it was very much high fat, high carb food. There were few 'healthy options'. I had the fried chicken in a basket as a main and it was really disappointing - it wasn't 'real' fried chicken on the bone but breaded chicken fillets like you'd buy frozen in a supermarket and heat in the oven. But everything else was nice.

We had a great game of bowling and it's really good value as the game lasted quite a long time. The staff were all great but the bar staff were a little moody and not as welcoming as the others. I would definitely recommend All Star Lanes as a good place to go for a staff social or birthday party.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Think this is a brilliant concept - bowling with an amazing restaurant. Good value for money for only £33 you get a game of bowling, a cocktail and a two course meal. The food was massive portions and really tasty! We all came out STUFFED! Everyones food looked was really amazing and it came very well presented. The cocktails were gorgeous - with a very large menu! & again very well presented with umberellas and decorations. Really good atmosphere and has more of an adult bowling atmosphere. Would go here again. Only thing I would say was we went on a Sunday and it wasnt over crowded with people - but it took ages to get our shoes and ages to pay and collect our shoes back so I can imagine it would be hectic when it is busy! Also there is not really any seats on the bowling alley and no where to put your things so you have to keep them on the floor close to you as its busy it would be easy to lose something.

2  Thank Sophie A
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Went to the brick lane on a Friday night with three friends for the £29 dinner, a drink and bowling deal. While the staff were friendly, the food was terrible. I would have expected more, even though it is just a diner. Game of bowling only lasted half an hour. We're charged £33 per person on account of it being a Friday evening, even though I confirmed when making the reservation that the £29 was available to us. Awaiting response from management but not optimistic. Highly unrecommended.