“Strange evening and offensive staff”

All Star Lanes-Holborn
Ranked #208 of 397 Fun & Games in London
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a great concept especially for 50s jivers and bowling aficionados but turned out to be somewhat of a strange experience. The music was great and delivered as promise but could probably benefit from a bit of verbal input from the DJs now and again. The drinks were a bit expensive but I suppose normal for that part of London but the cocktail special was good value. The weird thing was the clientele. Party groups - fine, young people some dressing the part - fine, a few older folk familiar with that era - fine. But there was something a bit artificial about it. One group of girls seem to have brought a professional photographer with them to snap their every move and spent their whole time posing. Then suddenly as though someone had pressed a button lots of people got up to dance. This was much earlier in the evening than normally happens, not in the gradual build up that normally happens and they all looked like people pretending to enjoy themselves (especially the group being constantly snapped.) It felt as though we were on some stage set where the director had shouted 'right - now party people.' Then an oldie couple jived and strolled who knew the moves but did it badly and were applauded rather patronisingly by the youngsters. We were at a table with plenty of room when a staff member came and put a card on the table, she looked at us as though to say something then changed her mind and walked off. We found the card said 'reserved for a named group' and when they finally arrived we were asked to move. We moved but pointed out that we had been sitting at that table for an hour before the reserved sign was put on it by the girl we described. To our astonishment the woman who told us to move told us she had put the card there herself earlier. This was an obvious barefaced lie that we strongly contradicted to which she said 'anyway it is reserved.' The only thing missing was a 'so there' at the end of it. Started out thinking of all the people we thought would enjoy dressing up and visiting the place but ended up vowing to warn people against it. Shame really.

3  Thank proficiscor

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Great night at All Star Lanes, £33 deal was a bargain. Bowling, eating and dancing. We all had a great time, there was a Taxi dancer at the club which really got us going. Shake, rattle and bowl was great fun, wicked music which kept us up dancing. We dressed up as 50's bowling girls, costumes are are good idea here, makes you feel part of the experience.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

By December 17, half of the team at work was on vacation already, and the other half was still on business trips. So we decided to move the Christmas party to January.
It wasn't only that we all were able to make it, but is way much cheaper, so we got more for the money the company had budgeted.
We booked a private bowling alley, with a bar, wii and a karaoke. We all had an amazing night, we played, we sang. The only thing I would have to say is that I found very weird that the Karaoke does not have traditional oldies like The Beatles Twist and Shout (IN ENGLAND!!!), Like a Virgin to mention a couple. The selection of the songs is good, but missing lists of fun songs.
For events, I would recommend this place.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

15 of us visited All Star yesterday evening. We had pre-booked a couple of weeks in advance and confirmed numbers the day before we were due to go. On entering the venue it was noisy but in a good way - very lively with lots of people in quite large groups. We were shown directly to our table which was alongside the lanes and were served very quickly and efficiently with everyone receiving the correct meals all of which were cooked quite well - the Popcorn Octopus as a starter was overcooked but the other meals were all fine. They did run out of the white wine we had been drinking but they did have an alternative which was fine. The beers and cocktails were quite expensive but were tasty. The bowling itself was a good experience and we had no trouble with the equipment. All in all a good evening for groups of people but not a place to go for a romantic evening or meal. I believe you do have to have something to eat at this venue - I don't thin you can just go to bowl but I may be wrong on this point.