“Great hotel, almost ruined by unfriendly check in”

Hilton London Tower Bridge
Ranked #171 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vallensbaek Strand, Denmark
“Great hotel, almost ruined by unfriendly check in”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights at the hotel for an extended weekend. The offering was great. Price combined with proximity to centre of London equals great offering.

Our friend at the check in was hesitating to hand out the keys to second room we had book. We were requested to call an show two types of id. Bad experience when the first receptionist told us just come back and pick up the key.

Everything else in the hotel works as expected. The treat with this hotel is the long walk along Thames which was much more pleasant than expected.

We wanted to get a drink at night at their city terrace but turned around a the waiter looked like she was asking us to turn around. There was not drink card on the table and the terrace was of course empty. What a shame as the view. Is spectacular.

When returning to London I will definitely see if a room I available at this hotel as is suits for every occasion.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Karsten P
Rasa K, PA to General Manager at Hilton London Tower Bridge, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Karsten,

Thank you for your detailed comments and for pointing out all aspects of your experience with us. We appreciate all feedback from our valued guests.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you experienced upon check-in. Just to explain, if the check-in is done before 3pm, and the second room is not yet ready, one would be requested to provide identification upon handing out the key once the room is ready. This is a security measure in place for the guests' safety and security. I am truly sorry if the process was not smooth and clear.

I am very happy to read that you have appreciated the lovely walk opportunities along the Thames, as the hotel is indeed in a very good location for sightseeing.

With regards to the City Terrace, I truly regret that you felt you were being turned away, but I'm afraid it is not a separate bar outlet, but rather a part of the Executive Lounge offering with opening times from 7am to 11pm daily. If I could just advise for your next stay, if you would choose to visit us again, you are more than welcome to order a drink through Ruba Bar on the ground floor, and our bar team would be happy to deliver it to the City Terrace for you.

And finally, it is a joy to read that you find our hotel to be good for any occasion. We will be more than happy to welcome you again, and please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can help you with anything for your future stays.

Rasa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Poole
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Was expecting more to be honest for the centre of London. May have caught them on an off day as service was poor and was given the wrong room so had to mess around for a while for them to sort it out. Otherwise everything else was ok. Food was I have to say very good so this made up for the poor start. We would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Jayne M,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments about your experience with us. I can assure you that both positive and negative feedback is highly appreciated, as it shows us where we need to improve.

Please let me apologise for the incovenience you experienced with the room assignment, this is certainly not reflective of our usual standards. At the same time, I am very glad to read that the gastronomic experience at our hotel has somewhat been able to make up for the mix up on arrival.

I am happy to know that you would like to return to us, thereofre, I truly hope we will have the chance to welcome you back and renew your trust in us.

Oak Hill, va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is a great location for some major attractions, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, The River Boats and downtown. The hotel is modern, very safe and the rooms have at least one 110 outlet, limited your need for a convertor. The breakfast is very good, with all the British and American options. Consigner made a solid dinner suggestion within walking distance. Only real complaint was having to pay for internet. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: They are very strict about check in time, so you have to stay busy until 3pm before you can get room...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting your comments regarding our hotel; they are greatly valued!
I am glad you enjoyed most aspects of the hotel, and that the location and suggestions given by our concierge have proven to be beneficial. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by the wifi being chargeable in the room. However, we do provide complimentary internet in the lobby area, as well as, several workstations in the Bar area and Executive Lounge.

It is wonderful to hear that you would like to return and recommend us to others. We look forward do welcoming you for your next stay in London.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

The front desk personnel warmly greeted us after our arrival early in the morning having just flown in from the states. We were directed to the Executive lounge while our room was being prepared and were pleasantly surprised by the amazing choices for breakfast. The helpful staff brought us our room key as we were finishing our meal. They clearly knew we were tired and having a place the recover from the day's travel was appreciated.

During our three night stay, each executive lounge experience was supported by the dedicated hosts who looked after our every need.

Convenient to everything London via the nearby Tube and rail station and in a newly renovated part of London we will return again and again as our travel plans allow

Stayed May 2014
Thank tguelich .
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your time you have taken to post your feedback! It is greatly appreciated!

It is wonderful to know that the Executive Lounge and its team has managed to provide you with the so needed comfort and energy refill after such a long trip, before your room was ready. We fully understand how tiring the long journeys are, and we are glad if we can ease the experience for our guests in any way.

I am thrilled to know that you would like to return to us again, and will be looking forward to welcoming you again!

St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

This was my first visit to London and I was dazzled! I bravely traveled to the Hilton from the airport at Heathrow via the Tube. Both the underground and the train stations are very close to the Hilton making traveling the city quite easy. I purchased an Oyster card for traveling the Tube. There is a delightful restaurant (The Lauder) in the hotel. I only had one dinner at The Lauder and it was marvelous, as was the staff. I did enjoy breakfast at The Lauder each morning and savored every bite. There is a Marks and Spencers Simply Food directly across the courtyard from The Hilton and worth a visit if only to see the gastronomical delights offered! The Hilton is a few steps from the river Thames and magnificent views of the London Tower Bridge and waterfront. A perfect spot for photos. The Shard is just across from the Hilton. The front desk staff was charming and always made me feel most welcome. I read many reviews and remarks on the Hilton referring to "brilliant views" and "rooms with a view", sadly my view was rather dismal which encouraged me to spend more time out and about. Had I not been so travel-weary at check-in, I would have asked to be moved to another room. The bed was comfy and clean and the bathtub was wonderful!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear JinnieK,

It was a delight to read your review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!
Indeed, I praise your courage for taking the tube all the way from Heathrow with the luggage, but, as you mentioned, it is an easier travel than one might think, considering how close it is to the Hotel.

I am so glad that you enjoyed both the meal and breakfast at our restaurant. And I will make sure to pass your feedback to the Chef and the whole team.

Hopefully, the river Thames has managed to provide you with some wonderful photos to visualise your memories in London and with us!

I do hope that we will have the chance to welcome you here once again! If you do choose to visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact us so that we can make sure that your room would have a lovely view for the next time.

Acton, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Modern hotel with all amenities right across the river from the Tower of London. Easy access to rail, tube, and river transit. Helpful and cheerful staff. If you upgrade to executive you get free breakfast, internet, and access to the lounge for teatime, evening drinks and veranda. Well worth it, especially if you are travelling with your spouse/partner.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear David P,

Thank you for your feedback! It is great to read that you have enjoyed your stay and appreciate most of the aspects of the hotel. I am happy to know that you have had the chance to experience what our Executive Lounge offers and that it has proven to be an asset to your business visit.
We would be happy to welcome you back again in the near future, be it for business or for leisure purposes.

Broadstairs, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Nothing could have bettered our one night stay at Hilton Tower bridge (except several more nights.) We arrived to meet Carla who with flashing fingers on the keyboard had rearranged rooms so that my husband and I and our two adult daughters were not only in rooms close to each other but that were also ready to check into even though it was before midday. She then proceeded to upgrade us all as it was my husband's 70th birthday. When we returned from celebratory lunch we were into birthday boy's present opening with champagne in our room. When I asked the barman if it would be possible to take three champagne flutes to our room he replied that anything was possible. How charming is that? Breakfast was delicious and all the staff without exception were charming, helpful and smiley.....but it was Carla that won my heart.

Room Tip: very quiet on eighth floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear HeleneKent,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It is such a great pleasure to read that we have managed to make the special birthday stay even more special! I truly hope you and your family have enjoyed this important day to the fullest, and that it will be a memory worth keeping!

I have passed on your comments to Carla, and I can assure you she is over the moon that her efforts have made you feel so welcome and comfortable! It is a truly heart warming feeling to read of your experience.
We really hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future!