“Excellent City Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Excellent City Hotel”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel provided a very comfortable 5 days for me during my engagement in London.
What immediately stands out about this hotel is its modernity - I assume this is a relatively recent build. The outside architecture is smart and appealing, sitting well in the More London district. Inside, the theme continues and the lobby has lots of open space.
For this visit I stayed in an Executive room, and upon arrival (an hour and a half early) I was directed upstairs to the private check-in located in the Executive Lounge. The process was very quick and the very personal service is something I have not experienced at many London hotels.
In fact, the service I experienced from all the hotel staff I encountered was excellent, all very friendly and more than willing to assist me.
My room was excellent. It had been very well maintained, and was spotless throughout. The desk was large with plenty of power points and lighting, and the bed was very comfortable. The window let in plenty of natural light and I had a good view of the skyline over the east end. The bathroom, too, was of very high quality, with a separate bath and shower and a very large wall-to-wall mirror. The daily housekeeping went the extra mile, folding some clothes I had left out for me and tidying my papers and items I left out on the desk.
The Executive lounge was among the best I have experienced in the Hilton properties I have visited. Light, airy, and quiet, there was restaurant-style seating and also a more comfortable seating area. The breakfast was extensive: not merely a token offering of pastries and toast, but also a wide range of breads, fruit, and a hot food selection. Combining this with the free cold and hot drinks, internet access and printing facilities, and also a large terrace sitting in the shadow of The Shard, it was a great place to relax.
Unfortunately, the internet connection I experienced here was somewhat underwhelming. Advertised as 'high speed', the WiFi provided me with only 1.5mb/s speed, and the wired connection 10 mb/s (decent, but by today's standards, hardly high speed). I experienced drop outs using both means of connection, more frequently on the WiFi. I can imagine for someone whose internet access is crucial to their stay, this would not be regarded well.
Further, the room service pizza I ordered on my last night, though arriving promptly, was lukewarm (and on the colder side of this).
Overall, however, I was very pleased indeed with my stay here, and the hotel will certainly be my first choice in the future when I am in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Anna140579, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Tower Bridge, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton London Tower Bridge whilst staying in London and thank you for sharing all your valued comments and observations with Trip Advisor readers.

I was very glad to read that our property will be your first choice if you will be visiting London again.

I am looking forward to welcome you back.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Devon
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have just returned after a 2 night stay here and would definitely return. The room was comfortable and clean and everything you would expect from a Hilton hotel. The location was excellent as London Bridge underground is about a 5 min walk away and river walks on the doorstep .
Directly across the road is the lovely Shipwrights Arms which does a pretty good pint!
A big thank you to the lovely receptionist who ,when we returned at lunch time because we had forgotten our phone chargers went to the room herself because housekeeping were busy. Brilliant customer service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Carla B, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Tower Bridge, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Following your recent stay here at The Hilton London Tower Bridge, I would like to thank you for having taken the time to post your comments.

We highly value both positive and negative comments of our returning guests. I was pleased to read that housekeeper made it right for you and enhanced your stay. Its always a pleasure to see our Team Members going the extra-mile for an excellent customer service.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again to The Hilton London Tower Bridge in the near future.

Carla Bento
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Situated by the Tower of London and in the financial district, it offers all business amenities. Food at the bar/reception to grab is basic and quite overpriced for what you get.
I got a Greek salad which was tiny and without any flavour. The rooms are nice though small (London standard). The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I a hoping that our property will be your first choice if you will be visiting London again.

I am looking forward to welcome you back.

Rayleigh, Essex
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 28th June as we were travelling down the Thames in the evening. Fabulous location. Our room didn't have the Shard view but it was a very good size, warm, great air conditioning and so quiet. We didn't wake until 9.00. The buffet breakfast was one of the best we've had in a hotel. All the staff from the front desk to the bar and then at breakfast were fantastic. Could not fault in anyway and would definitely stay again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Anna140579, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Tower Bridge, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton London Tower Bridge whilst staying in London and thank you for sharing your valued comments via trip Advisor.

I am assured that all Trip Advisor readers will find all you comments extremely helpful in order to book accommodation at our property.

I am looking forward to welcome you back at our property and please do not hesitate to recommend us to your family and friends.

Eastbourne
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Found this hotel when we were looking for somewhere to stay near London Bridge Pier, so that we could get the Thames Clipper to the O2. We got a really good deal on price, but the best thing about it was the hotel was really lovely. Big room, fabulous bathroom, brand new décor and furnishings, and SILENT very efficient air conditioning. Great breakfast. Wonderful staff, we can honestly say everyone from reception, the restaurant, maids and concierge, made us feel very welcome. It's in a great location, very near to the river and several eating places near by.
We loved it and will definitely return for our next concert.

Room Tip: Our room was on the fourth floor - not sure if we were upgraded but we only paid the basic price. W...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton London Tower Bridge whilst staying in London.

I was really happy to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and I am looking forward to welcome you back again at our property.

Please do not hesitate to recommend us to your family and friends.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights while in London on business.

Check in was quick and easy. I was very happy when we arrived well before check in time that there was no problem in getting my room early.

The location is fantastic. A 3 minute walk to the London Bridge tube station which was so convenient.

The area behind the hotel is newly developed right on the Thames river and a lovely area to stroll around in the evening. Tower Bridge is about a 5 minute stroll along the river from the hotel.

There were many restaurants, pubs and coffee shops in the immediate vicinity. The concierge was very helpful with directions and suggestions for late nite munchies.

The hotel itself is fairly new. The rooms was very nice, clean with an amazing view of The Shard which was basically across the street. There is bar service and food available in the lobby area, a sushi restaurant with what seemed very limited hours and the main dining room.

The only thing I could fault this hotel with is the lack of service in the dining room. My co-worker and I ate in the main dining room the first evening and found the service to be extremely lacking. It took for what seemed like forever for the server to come and take our orders. The food (I had the mussels) was delicious but we sat for almost half an hour with empty plated in front of us. No one came by, no service. Eventually I caught the eye of the maitre d and our plates were quickly cleared. On the way out the maitre d apologized again and suggested we might like to sit in the lobby lounge and enjoy an after dinner cocktail. He asked what we would like and the drinks were brought over to us. We thought that this was a lovely gesture for the poor service we had received in the dining room, until we were presented with a bill for the drinks. That was very disappointing.

I would stay at this hotel again. The location and rooms were excellent. I would just suggest to venture out and dine elsewhere. After all you are in London!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights over the weekend. From start to finish our stay was amazing.

The room although not that big was perfectly functional and well designed. The bed was extremely comfortable. We were upgraded due to our Hilton Honours status.

Reception were friendly, informative and welcoming.

The executive lounge is quite small but provides an excellent selection of snacks and beverages. The terrace was lovely to sit out on in the good weather.

The Hotel doesn't appear to be well known by taxis. Of four taxis we took over our stay two brought us to the wrong Hilton. This isn't the hotels fault but something to bear in mind if getting taxis to the hotel.

Breakfast was excellent. Great selection available. Only didn't like the fact that the a la carte breakfast menu wasn't available at the weekend. I had asked for eggs Benedict but was politely informed this was only available mid week on a la carte menu. Staff started clearing away the breakfast items at exactly 11 am although the breakfast room still had guests. Maybe could have finished sitting at 11 but leave the food etc available until 11:15??

Overall couldn't fault the hotel in general. Very happy with our stay. Oh and try the cocktails.... The 3B Mojito is fabulous!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Anna140579, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Tower Bridge, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton London Tower Bridge whilst staying in London.

I was happy to read that we have made you extremely satisfied with every aspect of your Hilton experience.

I strongly believe that you will not hesitate to recommend us to your friends and family.

I am looking forward to welcome you back at our property.