“The place for jazz”
Review of The Vortex

The Vortex
Ranked #174 of 369 Concerts & Shows in London
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Great little space with a good p.a. system and always top notch musicians .Good selection of drinks at the bar at very reasonable prices and a really nice friendly atmosphere makes for a most enjoyable evening. The area itself is really "funky" and busy, great vibes.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Discovered a year ago, this is the place where I go to listen jazz. I give the place 5 star although something it deserve less than that but I explained why. The place itself is great, either alone or if you are a couple of a group of friends it is a great place to spend a night out listening to live music. The location, with the downstairs bar and the jazz club upstairs are superb. Than the artists, so far I saw a Cuban jazz night (the most recent) a fusion of Berber music with jazz, and a random night of local people paying jazz. So the star and the quality of the night very much depend on what you chose. They have jazz most night of the week. Very inexpensive but for big names you better book well ahead. Sometime is overcrowded I think ( again it depends on the night) but all in all is a fantastic night out.

1  Thank Ms74
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Saw Kairos 4tet here, spot on, first rate musicians. The Vortex is a not for profit set up in a small and compact venue. They really do pack them in and I would book, and still get there early. We sat on cushions on the window sill and although the organiser apologised that we didn't have a table, I actually thought it was a good place to watch and listen. Very friendly crowd and hosts, top atmosphere, bottled beer and wine at reasonable prices and there is a bar downstairs for pre gig drinks. Downside, the Square outside appeared to be a troubled place and during the gig the Police turned up twice and took all the booze off the congregated winos. Thankfully the station is only a minutes walk away and if I am honest I was glad we didn't have to walk any further. I would definitely go again as the venue is good but next time when I walk home I will just have a tenner and oyster card in my pocket and the rest of my money down my sock and not be wearing a watch or any jewellery.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I read on the website that the people working at this club are all volunteers, and if this is the case then I fully commend their efforts as they were always polite and really helpful.

The Jazz was good (saw a band called Pigfoot on this occasion), and the club is really cosy and what I'd want from a good Jazz Club. Bar prices weren't too wild either (the selection was pretty poor, mind).

The only bum note was that it was massively cramped where I was sitting (and in most seats from the look of it). I can see why they would want tables in the club to make it more of a 'Jazz cafe' affair, but they either need to reduce the number of seats or just give up on the tables really.

We left halfway through at the interval because I'd filled my boots of Jazz for the night, and didn't really want to cramp myself back in at the table.

Would thoroughly recommend it for short folk though - and those that are in a deeply amorous relationship with Jazz and don't mind where they sit.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I visited the Vortex 6 weeks ago and I truly loved it. Ian Shawn (the vocalist and pianist who performed that night) was sooo entertaining .... jazz has never been so fun! The Vortex offers a wide selection of concerts every single night of the week at very competitive prices ... the place itself is cosy and intimate and also the public is quite vary (East London hipsters of course but people of any kind or age as well). Concerts are held upstairs and if you want to have dinner, I know there's a restaurant downstairs that I haven't tried though. As I already mentioned in another review, there is a fantastic restaurant called Café Route (just behind Dalston Junction) only 5 minutes from The Vortex. Definitely worth trying both :-) !