“A lovely couple's weekend in London.”
Review of Hotel 55

Hotel 55
Ranked #457 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I found this hotel searching the internet for hotels that were great value for what they offered and this was listed with a few other boutique hotels on a review. We booked through the hotel's web page which offered the best price. The hotel is small and books quickly so you will need to book well in advance. We chose a cozy room with no view as we only had a short time to see London and unfortunately we didn't plan on spending too much time in the room even though we wanted comfortable, modern accommodations of which my boyfriend likes getting a big bed and a flat screen tv when available. We don't have television at home so it's a treat for us to watch tv at the end of the day. The hotel is right around the corner from the North Ealing tube station (go out straight through the parking lot, past the Italian restaurant and turn right at the light and the hotel will be on your right). This was a major bonus for us as it was on the Piccadilly line which gets you into central London in about 25-30 min without having to change lines too many times to see the major attractions we wanted to see (museums, West End) and without a long walk to the hotel at the end of a long day. We didn't plan it that way. We are on a tight budget so price was more important than proximity to a tube line (although I recommend, if you are not familiar with London or the tube system, to stay at hotels near to tube stations). Hotel 55 has a tiny parking lot out front with room for four cars only. I don't really think anyone should drive in the London area as many places are like this and parking can be very expensive but if you want to better arrive early as I believe it is first come first served. We were greeted by the friendly reception immediately. We checked in and chatted amiably with reception about our plans in the city. He then offered to upgrade our room to one with more space. Apparently cozy is very small and cramped without much space at all although we never saw it. He did this for a reasonable, additional 5 pounds per night for the bigger room. He also offered to assist us with our plans in the city if we needed help and offered to help with our luggage up to the top floor. There is no lift but we packed both our things in a small weekend bag and I had a purse and we didn't need any help so we declined. We ended up staying in Room 201 which is a street view room and the eaves of the roof are lower in there so it is attic like. It was a small room but spacious enough for two people. The decor was modern and sleek and everything was clean and tidy. We only had three complaints and they are rather minor: 1- there really isn't enough lighting in the room itself, say in the morning when one person is showering and shaving and the other wants to do her makeup in the big mirror in the bedroom, it is very dim even with the window curtains open, although the bed lamps can be redirected for reading in bed and there is a lamp at the desk if needed. 2- Although we could see the tv, it is off center and a bit far from the bed due to the angled wall from the roof line. I am not sure if they could move it or not. 3-The plug in the bathroom is for shavers only so again, I was pushed to do my hair in the bedroom which would be fine except the plug available to use where the nescafe is, is a bit too far away to blow dry comfortably. They need a closer plug or it should be set up to blow dry in front of the mirror in the bathroom. Again very minor and really didn't bother us, just something we noticed. There is a mini bar and fridge in the room as well as a safe. The A/C works great and we had an extra blanket in the wardrobe (whe need it. re the fridge is located). The blinds keep the room quite dark but not pitch black if you need it. The street was a little noisy but it did not bother us because our home is much worse currently but you can feel a bit of a shake in the building when something large rumbles by. If you need absolute quiet then this room isn't for you. We stayed out quite late most nights and slept in. So we could hear other guests in the morning but it was 10 AM which is pretty late and again it didn't bother us but if you are sensitive to noise and sleep late be aware. We never heard anyone at night even when staying up til 3 AM once watching a movie. Unfortunately, although a continental breakfast is provided with the room (and a full English is available for a fee) we did not try the breakfast nor the restaurant mostly due to conflicting schedules and cravings. But we did try the Italian place next to the tube which is cozy but delicious. Also the next stop over on the way into the city (Ealing Common) has a Sainsbury's and we had a late breakfast at the cafe across from it which was good and takes only 5 min to get to either by tube. We also grabbed cokes and snacks at the little store across from the hotel and a pizza from the kebab place next door. Both are good! There is a Chinese buffet about 10 min walk from the tube across from the movie theater and behind Pizza Hut one tube stop after the hotel at Park Royal. So there are lots of reasonably priced food options near the hotel. We never had any problems with service. I got a paper cut and got blood on the bed and my boyfriend dripped dessert as well and our sheets where changed without us asking and our bed was made every day and the room straightened. I think we even received new towels each day although I took care to hang them up as we didn't need new towels but there were dry, folded towels on the rack each time we came back (we left them hanging to dry behind the door). We also received new bathroom products. The shower was very nice and had three different shower head settings. There were two hand or hair towels and two body towels as well as a floor mat. It is a small bathroom but serviceable and the space put to good use as the shower is the biggest part so you don't feel cramped. There is no bath if you require it. All in all we enjoyed the stay very much and we will be back the next time we stay in the area!

Room Tip: Room 201 is street facing and can be a bit noisy due to traffic if you are sensitive to that but dar...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AshleyNichol

Reviewed 19 April 2014

My wife, 2 daughters (12 & 8) and myself stayed at Hotel 55 for 6 nights as our base to explore London. We booked the garden suite which consisted of 2 rooms; a bedroom and a living room come kitchenette where the settee converted into a double bed for the girls. The two rooms were separated by sliding doors to give a little privacy when needed. The kitchenette had a fridge, microwave, a two ring stove and a dishwasher plus plates, glasses, knives, forks etc. There was also a washing machine which could be useful but we never used it. The suite itself is away from the main building being on the opposite side of the small courtyard garden. This means you don't get any noise from other guests or the busy road that runs directly in front of the hotel. The two rooms are a good size with enough space for all four of us. Both rooms had TV's and heating / air con units. It was clean and well maintained.
The main building had a small lobby and the breakfast room which doubled as Momo's Japanese restaurant for lunch and dinner. Breakfast was fairly basic, but then it is a small hotel so you will never get a huge range. However what was on offer was very good and tasty. The full English breakfast was delicious and really set you up for the day. We ate in Momo's for dinner once and the food and the service were excellent. My girls can be very fussy eaters but tried a few new things and liked most of it. Parking is limited to 4 cars at the front of the hotel but there is a car park two minutes walk away in front of the tube station which is reasonably priced. The tube station (North Ealing) gets you into Central London in about 30 - 40 minutes but there are also local buses or West Ealing tube station 10 minutes walk away.
The thing that made the hotel stand out was the staff. Courteous, friendly, attentive in fact they could not do enough to help.
I never recommend anyone should go or stay anywhere but I can say we enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay at Hotel 55 again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicholas M
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

As a business traveller, I've regularly stayed in Hotel 55 for quite some time now. My initial review stated how good this place is but I must review it again to say how consistent the quality is. The rooms, although compact, are perfectly clean and comfortable. They all have Nespresso machines in place of instant coffee. All of the staff are helpful and pleasant.

The hotel is right next to North Ealing tube station so access to London is really easy too.

This is a great hotel that I'd recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Rob1971
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We made our booking direct with the Hotel & having read previous reviews we requested a garden view room. There was still an average amount of road noise but for the position in which the hotel is in we found this acceptable. The hotel itself is very clean (I have stayed in 5* not as clean as this one!), the room which we had (206) was very compact but perfectly adequate, staff were helpful & the breakfast was good. My only gripe would be the lack of parking at the hotel but as there is a pay & display car park at the tube station less than 5 minutes walk away this wasn't a major issue. All in all a very good experience.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunrayuk
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Last minute booking at a very reasonable price, only about £20 dearer than the travel lodge, great staff very helpful. Such a shame it was such a short visit with an early start so we didn't get time to enjoy breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nickymain88
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at hotel 55, last week in October 2013. We still remember it well! All I can say is, this hotel is very overrated for the price of the rooms. The modern design of the waiting/reception area as well as the dining area is definitely the selling point. However the actual room we got given was very claustrophobic and pretty basic. The negative aspects of our stay was down to the customer service. The receptionist seemed very abrupt and he didn't seem interested in our stay. We had to pay before being shown to our room which I felt was a bit pushy to getting our money. There was a fire alarm that went off on the day we was leaving at around 7am which woke us both as well as other people in the rooms, we rushed to get dressed and find out what had happened, a colleague of the hotel was stood in the corridor looking confused. We asked whether its a false alarm/do we have to vacate the building he said I don't know and just walked off. Then also when bringing this up to the receptionist we got no apology or a simple 'how was your stay'. All in all for £118 for one night, we felt the price didn't suit the room and quality of our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Last minute booking, what drew me towards this place was the free parking - disappointed that it only fitted 6 cars that were crammed in. Took me an hour to find a parking space on the street then I worried about my car security. The hotel itself is spotless, the rooms large and modern. No creamer for the coffee so I had a black one and hit Mcdonalds for breakfast.
The Japanese Resturant is excellent, a little pricey but the food was top nosh,, first time having sushi as a full meal and I can honestly say I was blown away.
For the cost if the room £100+ I would have expected breakfast to be included, the receptionist seemed proud to tell me there was free tap water - cheers for that :-)
I was assured that it was a quiet room, apart from the constant traffic noise which could be heard all night then guests checking out from 6am onwards it would have been. Still I suppose if I'd have been staying there for two nights I would have slept better out of sheer exhaustion. All in all a lovely hotel would highly recommend but next time I will make sure that....
A) there's creamer available before I strip naked.
B) I find a parking space well in advance.
C) Bring ear plugs

Brilliant facilities by the way, shower , bed, fresh and clean ... Super job and congrats. I will stay again but perhaps when there is a better deal on - ever considered NHS discount ?

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business