Hotel 55
Hotel Xanadu(London)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
All reviewsnorth ealing tube stationpiccadilly lineealing broadwayhanger lanegarden facing rooml'occitane toiletriesminute walknespresso machinewembley stadiumncp car parkpower showerbusy roadcontinental breakfastbottled watercentral londoncomfortable bedmini bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Wow! This is my second time stayed in hotel 55.
I like this hotel so much during my first time visit London in 2010. Thus, my friend and I decided to stay in hotel 55 again during our second time visit in London 2014.

Location, although is bit far away from London downtown, but i personally feel that hanger lane is a peaceful side and is totally difference from the bustling city center. You need to get down from North Ealing underground station and walking distance within 7 minutes. Easy to find with a map.

The room (street facing)for this visit, has being arrange in a corner side. Thus, there will be a bit smaller compare to the year 2010 room. But still good with conformable bed and pillow. Also, nice shower as well. However, the mineral water has changed to a normal brand/ packing :( I still remember, they provided the Hotel 55 sparking with a nice bottle in year of 2010.

I found that the breakfast has became limited selection .. just some croissant, bread and corn flakes. But during my first time stayed was better breakfast.

Staff, as usual, friendly and helpful. One of the morning shift staff, i cant recall his name but he still can remember us for way back to 2010 :)

Room Tip: If you booked a street facing room, try to avoid the corner side room because is a bit smaller compare to the center side of room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank calvin289
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I found Hotel 55 through TripAdvisor and the reviews were spot on. Hotel 55 is a small boutique hotel located about 30 minutes from Piccadilly via the Underground. I arrived late on a Friday evening for a weekend getaway after an exhausting trip from Antwerp where I had been on business the previous week.

The hotel is a short 2-minute walk from the North Ealing tube station and the quaint neighborhood has a few shops if you need to pickup some water, snacks or beer. The exterior is nondescript, but the interior is modern and clean. The front desk is staffed 24/7 by a team of extremely helpful people. The first floor has a small restaurant (continental breakfast in the morning and sushi in the evening) which opens to a nice fenced courtyard with a deck and tables which would be perfect for enjoying a cocktail.

The hotel does not have a lift, so beware with heavy luggage since you will taking a lot of stairs, but I thought that it added to the charm of the property. I was given room 207, described as the largest in the hotel, which overlooked the garden. The queen bed mattress was a bit soft, but I had no trouble sleeping. The room was clean, well-appointed and functional. The bathroom, while small, had a nice glass-walled stall shower and the hotel provides high quality body wash and shampoo amenities.

There are not many restaurant choices nearby, but Ealing Broadway is a 10-15 minute walk with at least 10 options ranging from Thai to Italian to classic British pub food.

While it would have been nice to stay in central London, but my three nights at Hotel 55 cost less than one night at one of those properties which allowed more money to spend on great meals and touring the city.

Room Tip: Opt for a garden view room, if available. Hangar Road runs in front of the property and while not especially busy I could see how the road noise could be an issue.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Fairfax22032
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

From the outside there is nothing that sets this hotel apart from the other town houses on the street, apart from the large '55' sign. Inside however it is a really elegant establishment. The staff are friendly and then rooms are good. The breakfast is excellent and overall it is a lovely place. Very convenient with a tube station just around the corner. I have been twice now and would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Andy J
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I found this hotel searching the internet for hotels that were great value for what they offered and this was listed with a few other boutique hotels on a review. We booked through the hotel's web page which offered the best price. The hotel is small and books quickly so you will need to book well in advance. We chose a cozy room with no view as we only had a short time to see London and unfortunately we didn't plan on spending too much time in the room even though we wanted comfortable, modern accommodations of which my boyfriend likes getting a big bed and a flat screen tv when available. We don't have television at home so it's a treat for us to watch tv at the end of the day. The hotel is right around the corner from the North Ealing tube station (go out straight through the parking lot, past the Italian restaurant and turn right at the light and the hotel will be on your right). This was a major bonus for us as it was on the Piccadilly line which gets you into central London in about 25-30 min without having to change lines too many times to see the major attractions we wanted to see (museums, West End) and without a long walk to the hotel at the end of a long day. We didn't plan it that way. We are on a tight budget so price was more important than proximity to a tube line (although I recommend, if you are not familiar with London or the tube system, to stay at hotels near to tube stations). Hotel 55 has a tiny parking lot out front with room for four cars only. I don't really think anyone should drive in the London area as many places are like this and parking can be very expensive but if you want to better arrive early as I believe it is first come first served. We were greeted by the friendly reception immediately. We checked in and chatted amiably with reception about our plans in the city. He then offered to upgrade our room to one with more space. Apparently cozy is very small and cramped without much space at all although we never saw it. He did this for a reasonable, additional 5 pounds per night for the bigger room. He also offered to assist us with our plans in the city if we needed help and offered to help with our luggage up to the top floor. There is no lift but we packed both our things in a small weekend bag and I had a purse and we didn't need any help so we declined. We ended up staying in Room 201 which is a street view room and the eaves of the roof are lower in there so it is attic like. It was a small room but spacious enough for two people. The decor was modern and sleek and everything was clean and tidy. We only had three complaints and they are rather minor: 1- there really isn't enough lighting in the room itself, say in the morning when one person is showering and shaving and the other wants to do her makeup in the big mirror in the bedroom, it is very dim even with the window curtains open, although the bed lamps can be redirected for reading in bed and there is a lamp at the desk if needed. 2- Although we could see the tv, it is off center and a bit far from the bed due to the angled wall from the roof line. I am not sure if they could move it or not. 3-The plug in the bathroom is for shavers only so again, I was pushed to do my hair in the bedroom which would be fine except the plug available to use where the nescafe is, is a bit too far away to blow dry comfortably. They need a closer plug or it should be set up to blow dry in front of the mirror in the bathroom. Again very minor and really didn't bother us, just something we noticed. There is a mini bar and fridge in the room as well as a safe. The A/C works great and we had an extra blanket in the wardrobe (whe need it. re the fridge is located). The blinds keep the room quite dark but not pitch black if you need it. The street was a little noisy but it did not bother us because our home is much worse currently but you can feel a bit of a shake in the building when something large rumbles by. If you need absolute quiet then this room isn't for you. We stayed out quite late most nights and slept in. So we could hear other guests in the morning but it was 10 AM which is pretty late and again it didn't bother us but if you are sensitive to noise and sleep late be aware. We never heard anyone at night even when staying up til 3 AM once watching a movie. Unfortunately, although a continental breakfast is provided with the room (and a full English is available for a fee) we did not try the breakfast nor the restaurant mostly due to conflicting schedules and cravings. But we did try the Italian place next to the tube which is cozy but delicious. Also the next stop over on the way into the city (Ealing Common) has a Sainsbury's and we had a late breakfast at the cafe across from it which was good and takes only 5 min to get to either by tube. We also grabbed cokes and snacks at the little store across from the hotel and a pizza from the kebab place next door. Both are good! There is a Chinese buffet about 10 min walk from the tube across from the movie theater and behind Pizza Hut one tube stop after the hotel at Park Royal. So there are lots of reasonably priced food options near the hotel. We never had any problems with service. I got a paper cut and got blood on the bed and my boyfriend dripped dessert as well and our sheets where changed without us asking and our bed was made every day and the room straightened. I think we even received new towels each day although I took care to hang them up as we didn't need new towels but there were dry, folded towels on the rack each time we came back (we left them hanging to dry behind the door). We also received new bathroom products. The shower was very nice and had three different shower head settings. There were two hand or hair towels and two body towels as well as a floor mat. It is a small bathroom but serviceable and the space put to good use as the shower is the biggest part so you don't feel cramped. There is no bath if you require it. All in all we enjoyed the stay very much and we will be back the next time we stay in the area!

Room Tip: Room 201 is street facing and can be a bit noisy due to traffic if you are sensitive to that but darker because the morning sun doesn't hit that side so you can sleep later if needed.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AshleyNichol
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My wife, 2 daughters (12 & 8) and myself stayed at Hotel 55 for 6 nights as our base to explore London. We booked the garden suite which consisted of 2 rooms; a bedroom and a living room come kitchenette where the settee converted into a double bed for the girls. The two rooms were separated by sliding doors to give a little privacy when needed. The kitchenette had a fridge, microwave, a two ring stove and a dishwasher plus plates, glasses, knives, forks etc. There was also a washing machine which could be useful but we never used it. The suite itself is away from the main building being on the opposite side of the small courtyard garden. This means you don't get any noise from other guests or the busy road that runs directly in front of the hotel. The two rooms are a good size with enough space for all four of us. Both rooms had TV's and heating / air con units. It was clean and well maintained.
The main building had a small lobby and the breakfast room which doubled as Momo's Japanese restaurant for lunch and dinner. Breakfast was fairly basic, but then it is a small hotel so you will never get a huge range. However what was on offer was very good and tasty. The full English breakfast was delicious and really set you up for the day. We ate in Momo's for dinner once and the food and the service were excellent. My girls can be very fussy eaters but tried a few new things and liked most of it. Parking is limited to 4 cars at the front of the hotel but there is a car park two minutes walk away in front of the tube station which is reasonably priced. The tube station (North Ealing) gets you into Central London in about 30 - 40 minutes but there are also local buses or West Ealing tube station 10 minutes walk away.
The thing that made the hotel stand out was the staff. Courteous, friendly, attentive in fact they could not do enough to help.
I never recommend anyone should go or stay anywhere but I can say we enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay at Hotel 55 again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family