“Shameful and disrespectful service at NH Kensington”

NH London Kensington
Ranked #261 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 January 2014

​Background is that this was a reservation made on May 2nd, 2013 to stay at your NH Kensington (London, UK) from Dec 7th to the 9th.

This is a tragic story of inadequate and cruel treatment of a customer which should never happen. This starts with a prepaid, non-cancellable superior room paid for in good faith on May 2nd of 2013 by a returning global NH customer who liked your hotels in other countries. The description of the prepaid room was the following:

===== Start =====
Ideal for the discriminating business traveler, our 30 square-meter Superior Room provides a spacious and stylish respite from a busy day. Soundproof windows keep you blissfully unaware of the bustling city below while you enjoy a restorative sleep on a 32 centimeter-thick mattress.

Revive each morning with a cup of freshly brewed coffee or tea, then step into a luxurious bathroom complete with a power shower and bathtub to fully awaken your senses. A work desk and both wireless and LAN internet access allow you to stay connected and productive, while cozy furnishings, a minibar and a flat-screen TV encourage you to relax and leave it all behind. Countless details have been provided to ensure a pleasant stay-from an iron with ironing board to an in-room safe.

Electricity/Voltage
120V, Voltage 220V.
Internet Access/Telecommunications:
Free Wi-Fi, Wireless internet connection in public areas, Data port, Internet access, Telephone, Wireless internet connection.
Miscellaneous
Connecting rooms, Wake-up calls.
Bathroom Services
Vanity mirror.
Room
Choice of pillows, Air conditioning, Coffee/tea maker, Desk, Fire alarm, Hairdryer, Iron, Minibar, Queen bed, Sitting area, Sofa bed.
===== End =====

Upon arriving, we were forced upon with a much smaller standard room, which was poor considering it was prepaid and arranged 6+ months ago. What I don't understand is that all hotels I have experienced in the past may have had room allocation issues, but they never offer a room worse than what was reserved and paid in advance. Normally, hotels always bump customers to a better room as it is the fault of the hotel for not being able to accommodate and should never penalize the customer. Your NH Kensington basically said "this is the only option you get!" and with little choice we went into the room to find it had no heating . We were quite appalled at the fact of getting a worse room that was PREPAID FOR, but one without heating in the month of December is inexcusable. Your hotel reception said there were no other room options and offered more blankets, it was starting to feel very cruel like we were camping at your hotel. I further argued with the reception person and they eventually scrapped us some disable-friendly room that actually was so awkward it left us feeling disabled with the lower set sink, etc. So, we had to move (evacuate) from the unheated room to a disable room past midnight. You can imagine how overjoyed we weren't and I was amazed how your staff acted like they were doing us fair and just service.

The offered consolation for the broken reservation promise was a reimbursement of 25 GBP per day, which isn't much considering this was our single vacation for the year and arrangements were made so far in advance. If we had been informed by your hotel of its incompetence of not being able to accommodate us, we could have looked at other options at other hotels. Basically your NH Kensington decided to mislead its customer (fraud a better word) and forced them into an inferior option with very little recourse.

Another strange thing is as I was being told all sorts of excuses all with a positive bias towards how the hotel had no other rooms, just past midnight a person walked in and was given a SUPERIOR room right in front of my face. In confronted your reception person again, they said it was a previously reserved room, but how does that differ from my situation as I had arrived many hours earlier? I don't like to bring up the possibility, but I am guessing it is some sort of discrimination by your staff assuming I would be the easier person to screw over.

One last thing, when I was checking out, the reception person initially claimed that there was no 25 GBP per day reimbursement noted to be returned on my room details. I had been quite calm, but was pushed into aggression again at your hotel's attempt to do us wrong again even to the end. I basically forced your staff to keep at least this promise in cash on the spot as I could see I can't trust them at a long distance once I left the country. This whole unique experience has been one for the record books in how to screw a customer.

To summarize, we prepaid 6+ months for a specific room with specific attributes and was given a room of smaller size, smaller bed, no bathtub, quite noisy and absolutely no view. Also, initially a room with no heat in December and ended in a shabby disabled friendly (normal person unfriendly) room and was almost screwed out of differential compensation at the end.

So there it is, I post this review in the hopes that there is someone in the NH World who give a damn and can correct such unfair, unjust, and fraudulent treatment of its customers. I've wasted more time reliving this unpleasant experience and time to describe this in the hope that whom ever are the culprits will get punished and this never happens to another customer.

Room Tip: Pray you get the room you request and not one they force upon you.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank A U
Chetan B, General Manager at NH London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank for you review.

We try our best to meet the expectations of our guests. We are sorry to hear this was not the case during your stay. We would like to ask you to send your contact details to duty.nhkensington@nh-hotels.com so we could contact you to find out what we can do to solve this matter.

We look forward to hear from you.

Chetan Bhanot

Write a ReviewReviews (1,634)

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We have done quite a lot of traveling outside the US, but had never been to London. We were extremely pleased with the service, helpfulness, and friendly employees. They helped us find all of the places we wanted to go to & the l\things we were trying to see. They gave us direction on how to get where we were going. They also suggested getting on the Big Bus to do some sightseeing, which was wonderful. I would highly recommend this hotel. We plan on going back some day so we can stay longer.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SALLY F
Chetan B, General Manager at NH London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review regarding your stay in NH Kensington.

I am very pleased to read our staff was helpful and friendly and they were able to make your visit to London wonderful. I will make sure that our team is aware of your positive feedback and I appreciate you recommending us to other travellers.

We look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

The NH is a nice clean hotel with a great location. It is easy to get all around downtown London and a nice walking distance from Harrods. However, if you want fast internet service it is better to pay the 9.90 GBP, as the free internet is slow, and you use up the bytes fast.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Chetan B, General Manager at NH London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am pleased to note our location and the cleaning met your expectations and we were able to make your stay comfortable. We appreciate your feedback regarding the internet, as it helps us to improve our product and services.

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This was a real find. Good location, less than 5 minutes walk to Earl's Court Underground. Lots of places nearby to eat and drink. Good sized rooms. Decent breakfast. Ironic that it takes a Spanish chain to produce a good hotel in London.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank hs_prd
Chetan B, General Manager at NH London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a nice review regarding your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our location, the size of the rooms and the breakfast. I appreciate your positive feedback and I will share it with our team.

I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I have been stayed at the Kensington with my husband for four nights.The hotel is located in the Kensington area only 5-10 minutes from city centre , the room was clean and nice and breakfast was very good.The best feature was however the staff which was helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms with view toward the garden are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Chetan B, Manager at NH London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a positive review.

I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to meet your expectations regarding the location, the room and the breakfast. And I am delighted to hear you are very satisfied with the service of our staff. Please let me know if I can assist you with anything in the future.

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I've been using Nh often on my travels because of their quality price offer. This one didn't impress me much.I found everything all of it average and expensive , probably because of the location. It is mostly a business hotel, not for romance.Service kind, but average.Rooms simple.They have a bar on the ground floor for having a pre dinner drink.Was ok,but no need to come back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Chetan B, General Manager at NH London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

We try to meet the requirements and expectations of most of our guests. Which was not the case on this occasion. Please send your contactdetails to duty.nhkensington@nh-hotels.com and we will get in touch with you to find out how we can make your next stay wonderful.

I look forward to hear from you and welcome you back.

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel in the lobby and courtyard. Outside the back is a beautiful courtyard to enjoy drinks or visit with friends. Location is good, many stores and groceries around. Rooms, I thought, were ok. Had what you need, just not frilly at all. Has a hot pot with tea and coffee and nice toiletries.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review regarding your recent stay.

I am happy to hear our hotel and our staff met your expectations and you really enjoyed your stay with us. Please let me know when you plan to visit London next, and it will be a pleasure to assist you.

I am looking forward to welcome you back soon.