“Hidden Gem!”

Ranked #162 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Was delighted with this find! The Sumner is perfectly located just off Marble Arch making it easy to get around but manages to be calm and quiet.
The rooms were clean and spacious by London sizes, there is free WiFi and breakfast was delicious. No tea facilities in the room, instead you can call for this when you would like it and it will be bought to your room- a plus in my eyes as it is normally me who draws the straw for making it.
Staff were helpful and pleasant, providing maps and directions whenever needed...
Couldn't fault this at all and would definitely reccommend it for a short break in London. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
thesumnerhotel, Manager at The Sumner Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Kate,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a praising review. I'll pass your comments to our members of staff, they all will be very pleased on your kind feedback.
We always strive to make our guests to feel at home, welcoming them with a genuine smile and being helpful whenever we can. Here we love to share local information or provide directions to all our guest thoroughly to make them feel comfortable & to save their time as well.
We hope to see you back at The Sumner Hotel soon.

The Sumner Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The Sumner Hotel is perfectly located in the Marble Arch district - walking distance to restaurants, shopping, and subways. The rooms are fairly spacious for a London hotel. Our queen-sized bed was very comfortable. The room was always spotless. Free WiFi was a wonderful asset. Breakfasts were served in a bright, cheerful room and were more than adequate. The only drawback we found was that there was no safe in the room which meant going to the front desk each time we needed something. We later found out that the other categories of rooms(up from basic) do have safes in the room. The best part of the Sumner was its staff. No matter which shift was on, they bent over backwards to be helpful and were always pleasant. Being served coffee or teain the lounge was a real treat.When we were leaving very early for an outing, they prepared breakfast for us even though it was earlier than the normal breakfast time. They even offered to make us breakfast at 3:00 am before our morning flight! My husband had fallen outside somewhere and tore the muscles in his leg. The fellow on shift at the Sumner kept urging us to go to the hospital to look after it. He even researched the hospitals in the area and sent us to the hospital where Kate delivered Prince George. We would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone and would definitely stay there again, but in an upgraded room.

Room Tip: Take the upgraded room rather than the basic one if you want to have a safe in the room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind reviews.
I hope your husband had recieved a proper treatment for his leg injury during your stay.

I'll make sure to share your reviews with all my staff, they will be pleased to read thru your feedback.
Thank you once again for your visit at The Sumner & I hope that your huband will get well soon. Please convey our best wishes & kind regards to him.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The sumner hotel is beautiful and homely feel. The manager and the staff were helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean and spacious . Delicious and healthy hot breakfast which fills you up for the entire day. The hotel is located just a couple of minutes from Oxford street and marble arch very convenient and reasonable rates for its location. Our stay was lovely as the hotel was so peaceful and relaxing . Free wi- fi connection . Complimentary tea or coffee with cookies n chocolate were offered at any time. It was a lovely stay and we will definitely come again next year in january

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Linda,
Thank you for your kind feedback.
We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and you enjoyed our Delicious and healthy hot breakfast. We always strive to make our guests to feel at home.
We always make sure that we try to maintain the high standards at all the time & make our all customers happy & satisfied.
It was a great pleasure to have you all here at The Sumner. We'll look forward to welcome you again...

Regards,

Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The hotel had pretty good reviews and it is very well located just a few hundred yards from Marble Arch. It is a converted house so corridors narrow and different levels. My room was fine, quite big by London standards, very large comfortable bed and clean. There are limited facilities, a lounge where you can get coffee and a breakfast room. Service was good and the breakfast fresh and well prepared in a very lively room, a dramatic change from the rest of the hotel and a bit of a shock first thing in the morning. Not cheap but as said the location was excellent for Oxford street and the dinner I was going to. I've tried a few hotels in London, would I go to this one again, maybe

Room Tip: It is a quite road, if you want a view ask for a room at the front at least you have the streed
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alfred S
Dear Alfred,
Thank you very much for your review.
We are so pleased to know that you had a great time with us.
We have a reputation established over many years for first class service and for going the extra mile, offering a little extra to our most welcome guests.
Your tips are much appreciated by all interested in booking a room at The Sumner, thank you for sharing your suggestions and recommendations to help others.
We hope to see you back at The Sumner Hotel soon.

Sonoma
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have stayed at the Sumner three times over the last 4 years and always found it reasonably comfortable and very convenient for shopping and taking in all of London's attractions. The rooms are somewhat basic but reasonably comfortable and the staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfast room is bare but breakfast is ample, both buffet and a cooked option are offered. The hotel is a little pricey for what is offered, but London is an expensive city and one pays for convenience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Frances B
Dear Frances,

Thank you very much for your kind reviews.
Your feedback demonstrates that our team is a great asset to the hotel and embracing a proactive attitude, results in never-ending improvements in the way how we run the place, the standards we provide and the overall quality of accommodation and services we offer. We always strive to make our guests to feel at home, welcoming them with a genuine smile and being helpful whenever we can.
Please let me know about your next plan to visit London, I would try my best to offer you the best discounted rates as you are one of our precious returning guest. Hope to see you soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The bed I slept in was old and very uncomfortable. The staff were friendly, the breakfast OK. As I was getting ready to leave, I caught my trousers on a sharp, dangerous, protruding door catch, causing a huge tear. They belong to an Armani suit that I had purchased a few weeks earlier. I reported the incident to the Manager who came to my room and inspected the door catch. He acknowledged it was dangerous and said he would have an engineer fix it. He told me that I would be fully compensated. I explained that the cost of the suit was £725. He asked to see the label on the inside of my trousers which I had to undo to show him. I said I didn’t want to pay my bill until the matter was resolved. He asked me to trust him, I would be fully compensated but it would be helpful if I would settle the bill for administration purposes. I foolishly paid the bill, stressing to him that I was doing so in good faith. Despite many calls and emails over a period of three weeks, no response. I resorted to going back to the hotel on my next visit to London. The Manager told me he’d resolve the matter with Head office within 24 hours. He emailed to say that the Hotel accepts no responsibility and offered me 30% off my next stay. What a joke. I asked him for the phone number of his ‘Head Office’. He told me that they do not have a telephone and only deal by email. I asked him for the email address and he told me he was not allowed to give it out. Do not stay here under any circumstances.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Bob B
thesumnerhotel, Manager at The Sumner Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Bob,

At The Sumner Hotel, we strive to ensure that all our guests have a pleasant stay, with our staff always on hand to cater to individual requirements.

We are sorry to hear about your experience, all our rooms are maintained to ensure utmost comfort and as demonstrated by the majority of positive reviews that we provide a high quality of service, breakfast & facilities & as well as excellent value.
You stayed in our one of the best Queen standard room where we never had any issues. We are one of the best boutique hotel in central London & we never had such incidents in the past.

Having reviewed the matter of concern and a gesture of our goodwill in consideration of the tear in your trousers and courtesy sake, I have offered you a discount at the time of check-out which you have refused to accept.
You had a really high expectation to wave off the whole charges (£195) for your entire one night stay and unfortunately at that time we could not meet your high expectation.
However I can give you an assurance that if you wish to visit us again in future, I would do my best to make your stay more enjoyable & memorable.

Kind Regards.

Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 November 2013

My husband & I recently stayed at the Sumner hotel for 2 nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Our stay was wonderful. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. Our room on the first floor was spacious and comfortable. The traffic noise from the road below could be heard but didn't bother us at all. The hotel is situated perfectly for walking to Oxford Street and beyond. The breakfast room is small but certainly adequate and the staff at breakfast friendly and attentive. Tea was brought to our room whenever we requested it, which was greatly welcomed after our day exploring London in the cold. We would definitely stay at this charming hotel again and our looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jane,

Thank you for your kind words as “Perfect location for exploring London”. I hope you both had a great & memorable time here with us for 2x nights on your wedding anniversary. We always make sure that we do our best to improve the quality of services & maintain the high standards at The Sumner.
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope to see you soon.

Warm Regards