“Started well, but was disappointing overall.”
Review of The Sumner Hotel

Ranked #149 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Started well, but was disappointing overall.”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I read the glowing reviews of the Sumner Hotel on Tripadvisor and booked as a result, despite the fact that the room was going to cost me far more than I've ever paid for a hotel before, at £255 per night. After all, this was a treat for my partner and I. When I booked the staff were exceedingly helpful allowing us to drop our bags off early in the morning at 08:00ish and not checking in until around 16:45 and also leaving our bags until 21:00 on the day we left. The lady on the desk when we arrived was charming at all times during our stay and the public areas of the hotel were smart and very nice. Our room, whilst large, offered little more than hotels we've stayed in at half the price and was a rather disappointing, the decor in both the bedroom and bathroom being a bit tired. I'd expected something much more plush. The weather was warm do we tried to get some fresh air in the bedroom, however windows were hard to open, in fact I could open one. The absence of tea making facilities in the room, was not made up for by being able to ring for tea and then having to wait for it to be brought to the room in our opinion. All of these comments are minor and I would have given a four star review if our breakfast experience had been better........ I arrived in the breakfast room before my partner and received only a cursory greeting from the person on duty there. No explanation of what was available etc. I say down at a table only to find it hadn't been properly laid. No matter...I found the coffee for myself and located the cooked breakfast warmer. The warmer was half empty, containing some rather overcooked poached eggs and very little bacon, neither of which were very warm. It wasn't a very inspiring buffet, but I made the best of what was there, however when my partner arrived some 5 minutes later, the bacon had all gone and what "hot" food was left was hardly even warm. My partner wanted tea, but there was no obvious way to get any and the waitress didn't offer it, so I had to wait for the waitress to appear and ask her for it. Despite my partner pointing out to the waitress several times that the food warmer was nearly empty and that there were no beans, no bacon and only a couple of overcooked eggs nothing was done. After 15 minutes waiting and with only some sausages appearing in the warmer my partner gave up her wait for a cooked breakfast in disgust. I don't think she was the only guest who did so! Eventually, after some twenty minutes the waitress, who'd been in and out several times without saying anything, said the bacon would be another 5 minutes, but my partner who had by then waited 20 minutes told her not to bother. In addition, during the period we were in the breakfast room tables were left uncleared and the coffee ran out, again because nobody was paying attention. One of the coffee jugs was empty for virtually the whole time we were in the room. It's all very well having a buffet breakfast arrangement, but if guests have to ask for items because staff aren't monitoring the situation and then guests don't get the items they ask for the buffet is pointless and it would be far more satisfactory if the breakfasts were cooked to order. As long as they arrive. We politely fed our feelings back to the lady on the front desk and she was very apologetic, telling us that a member of staff had reported in sick and they'd had to draft in a replacement at short notice. That is all well and good, but the replacement staff didn't engage with the guests and provide what was asked for leaving us feeling that the Sumner Hotel breakfast experience was probably the poorest we'd ever experienced in any hotel and I'm afraid turned a four star rating into a two star rating. With all the competition in London for our custom we would not risk a return to the Sumner Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank HayleBiker
thesumnerhotel, Manager at The Sumner Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest,
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking some time out and giving us your feedback regarding the shortfalls in service.
We do believe that any feedback such us yours is so important to any business in order to maintain the high standards & to improve the level of our services that we provide.
I would like to personally apologize on the behalf of my team for not meeting your expectations with respect to your recent stay during your stay with us especially during your breakfast time.
We generally have our own trained staff actually fall in sick last weekend. Due to her sickness, we had to arrange someone in a really short notice.
We were very much satisfied with her service as we did not receive any complaint or suggestion from any other guests.
It is our main priority to ensure that all our guests are always well looked after during their stay & especially during the breakfast time.
Due to health & safety & hygiene reasons, we do not have any facilities to make tea/coffee inside our rooms.
We do provide complimentary Coupons for Tea & Coffee along with snacks 24 hours in the hotel to all our guest.
Once again please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in service levels you experienced during breakfast.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Sumner Hotel in the near future so that we can get a chance to show you our high level of service & to fulfill your expectations.

The Sumner Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have been staying at The Sumner since 2011 and must have stayed
over a dozen time and each time I like it more than previous. A very homely atmosphere awaits for you every time.
I stayed for one day and in the evening while I was surfing net in the lounge , I pleasantly surprised the manager came a served me a very delicious cake and coffee and informed me that today is birthday of one to the director and some like that happens very often with me in this property that I feel as if I staying at my own place . Breakfast room is small but pleasantly furnished and food is amazing , they serve the best brands of cheese & cereals good mix of cold cuts yogurts etc with fresh fruit with choice of Hot selections . Staff is extremely friendly and no one in my family lives any where else except The Sumner ... Team Sumner keep it up God bless

Room Tip: try their rooms on lower ground floor . Do not miss Breakfast you will be happy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank vaidrakesh
Dear Mr Vaid,
Many thanks for posting your feedback on the TripAdvisor.
We always try our best to provide you the best customer service & make you stay feel like home at The Sumner.
Its always our pleasure to have you back as a regular guest.
I hope to see you soon again.

Monroeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Sumner was a very pleasant surprise since this was our first London trip and we had chosen it based on reviews. It is located close to Marble Arch tube station making it convenient to travel to other parts of the city. Staff was extremely friendly, helpful, and responsive to requests. Our rooms were cleaned daily and were air conditioned. Breakfast featured hot and cold options and was very good. We could order (for free) tea or coffee any time and staff delivered promptly. The hotel can arrange transport to and from the airport which is cheaper than a cab and more convenient than the tube and the train if you have a lot of luggage. Front rooms are a little noisy because of street traffic but that would be true anywhere. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PATraveler1729
thesumnerhotel, Manager at The Sumner Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Karen,

I would like to thank you for posting your review as- "Wonderful Experience".
We are delighted & proud to know that we were able to provide you with our excellent services & facilities throughout your stay. We always make sure that we do our best to improve the quality of services & maintain the high standards at The Sumner.
Because of our location, everything's so close & walkable around here which is convenient for everyone.
Thank you once again for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope to see you soon.

Kind Regards

warwickshire
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We booked this hotel due to the location as we were attending an event at Hyde Park and because of the reviews on trip advisor. This isn't what we would call a luxury hotel but it is a pleasant small hotel, the staff were polite and friendly and the room was a good size (we had a king room). The breakfast was good, a selection of hot and cold buffet foods but the breakfast room is a little like a canteen so lacks a little atmosphere but then again it is only breakfast so not a real issue. Our room was on the 1st floor facing the street so it was a little noisy but you expect that due to the location. There are no hot drink facilities in the room but you can order them or get them in the lounge apparently, some reviews I have seen say that they were offered drinks upon arrival but we weren't. Overall the stay was good, the only thing which wasn't good was the fact that on the 1st morning we had men on our balcony tending to the window boxes which we were not warned about, this was rather a surprise especially as I was relaxing on the bed after having a shower so was not fully clothed!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at The Sumner Hotel. We are actually situated in a Good Location.

Please accept my apologies for an incident happened during your stay. Unfortunately it was our neighbors who were trying to get some of their maintenance work done on their site with scaffolding and all. To be honest, we have not been informed about that maintenance work carried out as well.
Anyway I hope that your rest of the overall stay went really good & enjoyable.
I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you back to The Sumner Hotel on your next visit.

Rohit Gogia
Mangager
West Lawn, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Sumner is located on a quieter street, just a couple blocks from the Marble Arch Tube station which was perfect. The Staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was a generous size for London, and they were able to accommodate three of us in one room. It was a nicer roll-a-way bed. Our room was located on the lower level, which meant that in this beautiful older building you could hear whenever someone was walking across the lobby and entryway. We also had quite a bit of noise from the water pipes throughout the night. However even with these noises, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. There was air conditioning, which on a rare warm spell in London was very welcome. The included breakfast was very typical of most European hotels and was generous and very convenient. This was by far the best value for a hotel I have found in London.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Eksknight
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review - “Great Location, even better Value”.
We are so pleased to know that you had a great time with us.We truly appreciate your positive feedback and we are grateful for your lovely thoughts about our team work & services all facilities.
We hope to welcome you at The Sumner on your next trip to London.

Rohit Gogia,
London.
Great Missenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Large clean and quiet room at the back of the hotel, only baths in the lower ground floors but the standard in the queen room was good. Staff were friendly and attentive and lovely touch that on arrival we were offered tea or coffee to be brought to the room. The only slight disappointment was no cooked breakfast but what was there was a great selection, fresh and plentiful. All in all a convenient location and to be recommended.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words as “A lovely London stay”. Glad to hear that you had a Lovely stay stay with us.
We truly appreciate your feedback which helps us to improve our facilities & services even more.
I am really sorry to hear that you didn't get a chance to have a cooked breakfast during your visit. Everyday we generally serve hot full English breakfast with a huge, different variety of breads, fresh fruits etc. We do normally start from 7:30 am - 10:00am.
Please do let me know about your next visit. I'll make to provide you a special service with all your expectations which has been missed at this time.
I'll forward to welcome you on your next stay in London.

Rohit Gogia,
London.
Branson, Missouri
Reviewed 5 July 2014

As luxury travel advisor, I am often asked to find unique properties in great locations that offer terrific service and privacy. The Sumner does not have the standard amenities, such as a pool and hot tub, restaurant, spa and etc. but what it does have is a gorgeous old building (formerly belonging to an embassy) turned hotel left with the original character but updated to allow for guests comfort. Each room is arranged slightly different and on different floors, in different buildings. There are lifts, however, still stairs to climb after arriving on your floor. This is not the hotel for you if you are in a wheelchair, however, it is the property for you if you want unique, first class service, in an excellent location in London. The staff is superb and extremely accommodating. We had four rooms for two nights June 9-11 and absolutely enjoyed every moment of our stay. Breakfast was fresh and cooked to order for us and tea and coffee was always available to us in the lounge. There is a magnificent pub and excellent restaurant next door and a small grocery across the street. Hyde Park is two blocks away and Regents Park is within walking distance. On our trip to Great Britain, we stayed in only five-star properties, castles and manors, except for the Sumner and my client commented that he thought The Sumner was his favorite. When you stay at the Sumner you feel as though you are in your own private home in London! I cannot thank the Manager and staff enough for their kind attention.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs- there is a ground floor room. There is street noise- but that is t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathy M
thesumnerhotel, Manager at The Sumner Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Kathy,

Thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor.
I am so pleased & touched by heart to read thru your detailed feedback. Really felt great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient of locations minutes from the tube station and Oxford Street with all of its shops and restaurants and of course of our great & huge selection of breakfast which gives everyone their own choice to start a good & healthy day.

We always make sure that we do our best to improve the quality of services & maintain the high standards at The Sumner. We believe that only Exceptional service can make a big difference to maintain a good relationship with all the guest.
Our facilities and comfortable rooms are indeed some of the many advantages of staying at our hotel. We truly appreciate your positive feedback and we are grateful for your recommendations.
It was a great pleasure to have you here at The Sumner. We'll look forward to welcome you again..
Many Thanks once again for a lovely detailed feedback.