Mandalay Picton House Hotel
  • Pool
US$233
US$227
  • Restaurant
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$199
  • Restaurant
Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo(London)(Great Value!)
US$264
US$236
Doubletree
US$475
  • Pool
London House Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$131
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$169
  • Restaurant
All reviewspaddington stationsussex gardensshort walk from hyde parkrooms are smallno elevatortoilet and showertwin bedspubs and restaurantsfive minute walkhotel is in a great locationbreakfast was includedstayed for one nightluggagebasement
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 November 2011

We stayed this hotel third time in this November. The rooms are clean and average for central London, the bathroom is really tiny so if you mind it then it is not your place. But they are absolutely clean! The owners are absolutely helpful and polite! Whenever we go to London next time, we definitely will stay there again. Best place to stay for the value!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TomAce
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My second stay at this hotel was just as pleasant as the first!

When we arrived, we were greeted with respect and were given 2 room keys which was convenient. My friend and I have stayed here in July for 8 nights so we found the room a bit small. We obviously had a lot of stuff and we ran out of places where we could store clothes as we only had a double-door wardrobe and a nightstand. The bathroom was even smaller, if you are not the slimmest person you might have difficulty showering in such a small space. Our beds were made up most days and sheets changed twice over the 8 nights which did not bother us. The room was clean as far as we could tell but some might expect a better standard. Some might also call this hotel dated or even dodgy, but I think for the price - especially in London - it is value for money (but could do with a bit of renovation and refurbishment).

We got a friendly rate (£70/night discounted to £65) from one of the owners as we stayed there before and booked the room for over a week this time around. Our budget was not very high so this hotel is still very good for accommodating those on a budget.
Room prices include a continental breakfast which was a little repetitive over 8 mornings but still tasty.

As no safety deposit boxes are available in the rooms, we asked at the reception if we could store out passports and other belongings in the safe, which was fine until we went to collect them on departure and the owner wasn't there and staff didn't know where the safe was. Again, this wasn't such a problem as we were organised enough to leave plenty of time before we had to leave the hotel but we could have missed our train to be fair.

Overall though,we did have a lovely time. The price and the staff all make up for the basic accommodation and inconveniences. Unless I find an even cheaper hotel with ratings like these, I will certainly return on my next visit to London.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2011

White cotton sheets, comfortable beds, friendly staff and all for £69 for a double room which was only five minutes walk from Paddington Station.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I spent 8 nights at this B&B in March/April this year. I chose Mandalay Picton House, as I was searching for a B&B or budget hotel walking distance from my daughter's flat in Paddington, and I was impressed by the Tripadvisor reviews I found here.
I actually had 2 stays (6 nights, then away for 4 nights, then back for another 2), and after I'd found myself feeling quite at home and relaxed there during the first stay I was very pleased to be coming back.
My single room had a little balcony and a nice view over the street (Sussex Gardens). It was comfy, nothing flash, but not at all dreary. Breakfast was simple, but filling (I had toast, egg, baked beans cooked with tomato, cold cheese and cucumber, jam, & a pot tea, every morning!) - not at all gourmet but it did the trick to get me out the door, and there is plenty of exciting eating to be done in London over the rest of the day.
The family who run the B&B are very friendly, and it felt very safe there - I left my luggage in the tiny reception area on my last day, and this was fine (you can't walk in from the street without being buzzed in or without a key, and one of the staff is always sitting at reception or not far away). Paddington also always felt very safe to walk around when I was on my own, daytime or very late at night - it's an all night kind of place, and well lit up.
The main reason for going back would be for value for money. This B&B cost less than the equivalent of $85 (Australian) per night, including breakfast, which is remarkable, considering it's in central London.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Location is superb with bus station and tube station all within walking distance same goes for restaurants and tesco express was nearby as well....definitely no regrets. Towels were changed everyday and rooms were cleaned everyday as well. This was one of our main concern for a budget hotel but Mandalay Picton House Hotel was well kept and it was clean!Bravo!!:) Rooms were small especially the toilet which was cute where u can save time and do your business take bath and wash your face at one go..... hahaa......dat was why i said 'cute' :) Overall a good stay with no regrets to it :)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple