“Close to Paddington and Hyde Park”

Mandalay Picton House Hotel
Ranked #262 of 571 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We booked here to be close to the World Championship triathlon in Hyde Park and our friends visiting from Berkshire via Paddington. The hotel is cosy and clean and the staff incredibly helpful, friendly and generous. We slept well in a good bed, in a quiet location and were very happy with our stay. Dwight is a very friendly generous host.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meridee2013

Reviewed 10 September 2013

My husband and I stayed 4 nights here. The location is excellent, and the rooms appear clean, however our shower smelled like mildew the instant we turned on the water. The double bed also appeared to be using a twin bed as the frame, which was a bit strange. The breakfast was adequate, although we ended up eating a lot of toast. If you're willing to be relatively cramped (but it's London, so no surprise there) and not have the absolute best of amenities, then this hotel is a good deal. However, if you're looking for plush and modern accommodations, this is probably not your hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Second time here and all O.K.
The staff is welcoming, friendly and nice.
The room was spotless, the breakfast more tan enough.
The toilet is tiny, but clean and even with hairdryer.
Perfect location in central London.
Great Price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I first stayed at the Mandalay Picton House Hotel in December 2011, and then again with my partner in January 2012. The location, charm and personal service of the Ally family were factors that meant our return was inevitable when we visited London again in July 2013.

The hotel is indeed centrally located with Paddington Station proximate. Moving in and around London, or beyond is straightforward either with trains or buses. The Mandalay Picton Hotel is situated in an attractive and appealing tree lined street: the area has character. There are many restaurants and bars nearby, and the area generally appears safe.

The rooms are comfortable and clean, although small. I have found the hotel to be generally quiet at night.

Breakfast offers a choice of cereals and toast and hot dishes consisting of eggs, baked beans, bacon and tea and coffee. It is perfectly adequate and you might get to enjoy one of Dwight's anecdotes.

The Ally family is welcoming, engaging and hospitable and are a veritable fount of local knowledge.

Don't go beyond or past the Hotel Picton Mandalay when visiting London.

R and R, Christchurch, New Zealand

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichardMWilliams
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I and a friend were here in July 2013 for four nights.

There are at least three things that are great about this hotel:

1. It is located centrally with a walking distance from Paddington subway and Train Station that can take you directly to Heathrow airport, and Oxford Street, if you come from Gatwick you can take the subway directly to Paddington from Victoria Stations who connects with the Gatwick Express and Southern line.

2. When I was there I met guest who returns every time they are in London-(3) but not only because the price is one of the best in the same area of many hotels.

This B&B is run by the Norwegian, English and Burmese speaking Ally family since 1994 after living several years in Oslo, Norway (They might even know some more languages that I did not ask for) as my mother tongue is Norwegian I did all my communication in Norwegian with them without any problems at all. I will definitely recommend this hotel if you are Scandinavian speaking and do not feel comfortable with your English or if just want a “laid back” chat after a long day with “tourist” English in London. They even had an adaptor that connected with my Norwegian telephone charger that I had forgotten at home, and they have maps and information pamphlets for free. The double room we got was cosy, very clean, had tee-and coffee making facilities and TV. Even in the summer you can choose between the regular sheets and a fluffier sheet to cover yourself with at night, which is great for me who tends to freeze even in the summer (most hotels I have gone to do not provide fluffy sheets in the summer). The breakfast was nice and plenty. They also got Wi -Fi

Dwight and his Wife Farzana did everything to meet our needs, it really shows that they are dedicated to their business and they go far to make you feel at home so I will guarantee you will feel very welcomed here, and if there is something you are missing do not be afraid to ask them! We met Dwight’s brother Gary at their Burmese restaurant only a stone’s throw away from the hotel, the brothers run the Hotel and Restaurant together, so do not get surprised if you find them in the hotel and restaurant at the same day (The restaurant had a range of vegetarian dishes to choose from, so this is a vegetarian and vegans heaven).

Next time I am in London I will not hesitate to book a room at Mandalay again, and I have already recommended it to several friends as I do not they will not get disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed with them a few days before going on a cruise. Small, clean rooms, but not as small as Paris. Tiny bathrooms. Owner's worked hard to make sure everything was OK. Nice people also. Breakfast was acceptable. But just a short walk to Paddington Train/Tube station! Everything you would ever need (market, pharmacy, laundry, etc.) all in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Badge958
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed here 5 nights end of May, TV did not work did not worry us as out all the time, wifi only in reception but only charge d for once so cannot grumble I suppose.
Breakfast items were usually cold but plenty of cereal or bananas,Good coffee and a good supply in the room,
Bathroom was very shabby, toilet seat cracked, would not stay here again, not even for the great location as there are hundreds of similar priced and located b and bs In the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends