“Nice, friendly, personal and affordable!”

Mandalay Picton House Hotel
Ranked #268 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 December 2008

We were a group of 13 women from all over the place, some in London for the first time and we felt very comfortable and welcome at this nice little hotel close to Paddington Station! It started with the booking that was from our side sometimes a bit chaotic but got managed in a most friendly and helpful way over e-mail. And our stay was very pleasant and made easy by the hotel staff. Although we were sometimes a bit boisterous everybody was really friendly. And the owners were most helpful with tipps and took a real interest! We also loved the food at the Burmese Restaurant that belongs to the hotel!
Some of the rooms are small, but clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are really tiny and squeezed in but from what I saw absolutely ok. Good location for anything in Central London, especially handy for people coming in via Heathrow airport.
Certainly a place I will recomend to other London travellers with a small budget who can appreciate the personal touch! We even got a little song as farewell gift! Thanks, Gary! Yeh Dosti!

• Stayed: November 2008
There are newer reviews for Mandalay Picton House Hotel

Reviewed 2 December 2008

The Mandalay Picton House Hotel is a small, family run hotel in the heart of London catering for the budget conscious international tourist. Many of those that stay at the hotel are however people like myself, professionals and tradesmen who regularly need to stay in London on business. At the Mandalay we are assured of a warm welcome, a good nights sleep, and we leave for work in the morning having been fed a great breakfast. Because of this we return again and again. The hotel is managed by people of integrity who we can trust will take care of us. This is a no thrills hotel, but it still provides the comforts needed to give many of us a home away from home.

Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank TheWiseOldOwlUk
Reviewed 29 November 2008

This is the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel!!! It was dirty, small and not good for your health! When I came in to my room, a strong smell of a terrible perfume hit me! Its the same smell like in toilets and a perfume an old lady would wear. They spray the rooms before new gests arrive to cover up any other bad smell. The smell followd me everywhere I went that night,,,In the bathrom and on the sheets, we found, in more than one room, mould! A white soap left in the bathroom at night was beginning to get a black color the next day! But the worst thing about this hotel is the people that runs it and work there! They are rude, and I got yelled at by one of them for no reason. I simply explained why my friend needed to borrow a key to her room. The man in the reception got angry. He screamed and seamed to go crazy! He came out of the recption whit a threttening attitude. I remained calm because he scared me, but inside I was really mad!!! I could go on and on about this hotel.....
We were in London to get inspiration for our education. We had a great trip, but it had nothing to do whit this creapy hotel!!!!
If you are thinking of staying here, i stongley advice you to think again!

• Stayed: November 2008
5  Thank monsen01
oslolondon, Owner at Mandalay Picton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2008

1) When a teacher at a college in Norway, who had brought a group of students in 2007, recently booked for a group of 29 students and teachers, it was explained that this being a small and family run hotel, they could share a number of single, double, twin, triple, quad and family rooms. It was also explained in our e-mail that some rooms have single beds and a double bed. Since the teacher wanted the average price per person, we calculated and informed him.

2) 27 guests in total checked in on two different days (November 16th and 17th). 23 were students; all young ladies, a male teacher, a female teacher and the other two gentlemen were their guests. We arranged very reasonable taxi rides for both the groups from Stansted Airport to our hotel; we don’t take any commission from the taxi company.

3) On the first night several ladies returned at 0300 in rickshaws. Of course, the guests can return anytime and in any mode of transport they choose, but they cannot expect that three young men who brought them in the rickshaws could go in with them nor can they make so much noise that they disturb other guests. They didn't like the idea that they were not getting their way to party the whole night. Many other guests complained at breakfast that the ladies were making a lot of noise. Many of the guests who complained were our regulars and it was rather difficult to cope.

4) Some of the ladies had lots of their shopping and personal belongings on the beds and in the rooms spread all over which made it impossible for the chambermaids to clean their rooms properly – They didn't like it and wouldn't understand. The chambermaids are not allowed to touch our guests’ belongings that are openly placed on beds or other parts of the room.

5) Not all the ladies who shared a particular room would go out or come back together (which is perfectly understandable) but some accused the management that their room was opened when they returned. It was just impossible to keep track of who was in, who was out and who had left the door opened.

6) On one occasion two young ladies opened the front door with their key and came straight to the reception to ask for a spare key to a particular room. One lady had the key to her own room and became very rude when she was told not to interfere with other guests’ key. The other lady identified that it was her room so we were happy to oblige her. If guests require a spare key for their own room, they can simply ask for it but others should not interfere, be rude or pass unnecessary remarks. No hotel would give the key of a room unless the management is 100% certain that it has been asked by the occupant of that room.

7) When they were checking out at 1100 after three days of their stay all of them left their bags and suitcases at reception, which we duly took care of. One group was taking taxi at 1500 and the other at 2300. Some of the girls started arguing among themselves as they would not go DUTCH SPLIT which their teacher had explained to them even before their arrival. Occupants of family room, quad room and triple rooms didn't want to pay for other occupants of twin or single rooms. Two ladies who shared the family room with three others went to the extent that they shared the double bed therefore two of them together would pay only one quarter of the tariff. Well, all five of them slept in the same room and ate daily breakfast.

8) When the average bills of family, quad and triple rooms were less than that of twin or single rooms, no one wanted to pay their full share and started paying less. Some students paid £21.00 (with lots of copper) each per night with breakfast Yes, we were paid less than the actual bill, which we duly informed the teacher, but no action was taken.

9) Baggage of 27 guests filled our reception, which we gladly managed. Both the groups had done more shopping when they returned for their taxis at 1430 and 2200 respectively – more unwanted packaging left, especially shoe boxes. We made them comfortable while they waited for their taxis and showed them the common washroom which many of them used.

10) We the management cannot say that every guest in the group was rude, demanding or condescending. There were some who were very polite and thankful even as they were leaving. The head teacher said the ladies pay over Norwegian Kroner 100,000 and are spoiled girls. However, he said that he would be bringing one more group next year. We the management can only conclude that some of the ladies were unhappy because they didn’t get their way, which was not suitable to the management or other guests.

Reviewed 2 July 2008

We were at mandalay Picton House in June.
We were 7 girls, a gropue of friends in 2 rooms ( a triple room and a room for 4 people). They were small, but no too much. Rooms and bathrooms were very, very clean and towels were changed daily.
Gary and his family were very hepful with us: we arrived really late the first day and there was not any problem; The last day we left after 12:00 and they took our luggage with a smile.
The breakfast was perfect: cofee, tea and hot chocolate, fried eggs and lots of toast with delicious jam.
It is not a luxurious hotel, but good enough to sleep and have a shower before going out to discover London: tub and buses are near here.
Its value for money is excellent!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank mada_8
Reviewed 10 June 2008

We had a twin room for 5 days, facing the back yard. Very quiet, even with the window open during the night. Clean room, small but OK bathroom-cabinet. Warm breakfast which was good (compared to other London budget hotels/B&B's), but I missed the bacon!
Less than 5 min walk from Paddington Underground, also quite close to Lancaster Gate underground station
Friendly and helpful staff/owners. Wouldn't hesitate to book in again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Haavard
Reviewed 4 November 2007

I stayed at the Mandalay Picton House Hotel this past Sept/Oct 2007.
It was my first visit to London, and I knew going there that rooms tend to be small, etc. Overall, my experience at this hotel was pretty good. We knew it was a budget hotel, so we weren't expecting wonderful ammenities. We arrived early (before check-in time), but the hotel staff was very helpful and let us keep our luggage there so
we could enjoy the city a little bit before the room was ready. We had a small triple room (one full/double bed, one single)...I believe
it was #10. The stairs were very steep & somewhat narrow, but one of the hotel staffmembers (and I cannot remember his name...I know it wasn't Gary. But, whoever he was, he was really, really nice) helped me bring my suitcase up to the room.

The room itself was very small, but considering we weren't in the room except to sleep and shower, it worked out just fine. But, it might be difficult for larger people (we are pretty tiny, and still felt kinda sandwiched in there). I literally had to kind of climb over the bed to get around it to where my luggage was, etc.

The en-suite bathroom was VERY tiny! I laughed when I first saw it, but, again, it worked just fine for our needs. But, again, it might be really tricky for larger people in that shower (think a bathroom smaller than that typically found in RV/motorhomes!)...it was literally about a foot and a half wide by about 2 feet long!

This was a budget hotel, so be sure to bring your own toiletries and things (only small bar soap was provided). But, they gave us plenty of clean towels & replaced them daily/made the beds daily.

The room did have a small TV, fan, phone (calls to the front desk or incoming only...no outgoing lines), and shelf with a small tray, teapot, tea, etc. The window was decent sized, and provided a view of the street out front.

Breakfast was decent, but not amazing. English breakfast with eggs, fried mushrooms, baked beans, cereal, toast, banannas, tea/coffee, water, and orange juice. It was filling, but most of the warm portions were somewhat greasy.

The hotel itself is in a long row of townhouses that have all become hotels on a pretty quiet street. It was a very short walk (3 minutes) to Paddington Tube & Rail stations...which was SUPER convenient! Paddington Tube station was great for quickly getting to pretty much anywhere in the city. There was also a night bus stop right on our street, which also came in handy (the tube stops running around 12:30am, and we were out late a couple of nights).

Overall, this was a decent hotel experience. It definitely was not luxurious, but, it was convenient, safe, and the staff were all very helpful and friendly. I look at it as better than a hostel (private room, private bathroom, breakfast, etc.), all for a really good price considering how expensive London is overall. If I were going again on a similar kind of trip (with friends, or by myself), I'd most-likely stay here again because the location and budget level quality is unbeatable for the price. If I were going for something more special, or with a partner/spouse looking for something more romantic and luxurious, this is not the place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank Brooklyn B
Reviewed 29 July 2007

My bestfriend and I have stayed at this hotel during both our visits to London. The first time was in May 2006 and the second in September 2006. Both times the Mandalay Picton House Hotel proved to be a good choice.

The location may be off for some, but for us it was no trouble at all. There tube is max 5 minutes away and there's a bus stop practically outside the hotel's doors. Also, you can easily walk downtown as well, ending up in Oxford Steet.

The first time we arrived at the hotel we were met by a friendly staff (since it's a family run hotel the staff is limited) that was more than willing to help us locate the different sights and means of transportation. We got a quite large room with two beds at the size of twinbeds. It was always clean and you could even make yourself some tea in the room if you prefered.

You do get a bit of a 'ferry feeling' when inside the bathroom since it's rather small. If you're a large fella, you might experience some trouble moving around. Still, for two young girls it was fair enough. Also you have to wait a few minutes before jumping into the shower as it takes a little time before the water goes from freezing cold to fairly hot.

The second time around we were given a hallway room. This was much smaller and even a bit claustrophobic. Instantly we went downstairs to request a new room - which we got. The new room we were given was just like the one from our first stay. Our recommendation: Try avoiding the hallway rooms (in the middle of the stairs).

Breakfast is included, with beans, fried eggs, toast, tea and so on. It's fairly basic, but the food is good. The chef is, if I'm not mistaken, the mother of the receptionist Gary, and she is a pleasant woman but of few words.

It should be mentioned that the owner was kind enought to give us a fair price with us being students. If you are looking for a place to stay a bit away (but still a short walk) from all the hazzle and noise downtown you have found your hotel. Sure, it may be simple, but it's clean, the staff is polite and friendly, and the rooms are hospitable and large.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends