“Best Value in London, England”

Mandalay Picton House Hotel
Ranked #261 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Excellent location from Paddington Station. We arrived from Paris and made to feel at home immediately. Gary and Dwight were wonderful hosts, meeting all our needs and assisting us in any way possible. The accommodations were perfect, clean and efficient. They accommodated us especially well on our last day, allowing us to keep our luggage in the main foyer, which permitted us to tour for the rest of the day until our taxi arrived later in the evening. Gary arranged for the taxi too which took us to our hotel near the Gatwick Airport. We felt safe, welcomed, and greatly appreciated their care and concern...a special gift when travelling in a foreign country. We will tell all our Canadian friends to consider this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 January 2011

When going to London with my teen age son, we have always stayed at this hotel. Every time it has been a very nice experience. The hosts do everything to make you feel at home at their B&B.

I have recommended friends to stay there, and they tell me they have the same impression as I do.

The hotel is 5 min walk to Paddington station which means it easy to travel around London from here, and if your plane arrives at Heatrow you just take a train to Paddington, and walk to Mandalay Picton hotel. The area is quite enough to get a good night sleep and nice enough to walk around in at night for something to eat, or in the day time you should look for bargains in some of the shops near by, shoes etc.

And which hotel in general will let you book a room and not require your credt card number in advance?

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Kaja123
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Found the Hotel listed on the internet and chose it because it was near the tube and Hyde Park. We arrived early in the morning and were allowed to check in early. We had booked tickets to a show the first night and Gary whipped out a map and drew our route to the theater on it. We spent the next 4 nights there and enjoyed it all. We checked out and then the snow began to fall. We made it to the airport only to be sent back to a different hotel in London by the airline. We spent one night in the other hotel and then I decided that if I was going to be stuck in London that I wanted to be in a place more hospitable then some big sterile hotel. I called the Mandalay and they said they had a room so we made our way back. We spent 4 more nights in the Mandalay and every day was nice and warm and comfortable. They even helped us get tickets on the ferry out of England so we could make it home in time for Christmas. My daughter is already planning on returning there in the summer. oh....and the food at the restaurant is wonderful as well! Order the coconut chicken dish!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Utilised trip advisor to find this hotel in a very central yet peaceful area only 2 min from Paddington tube station and 10 - 15 min walk to Oxford Street. Cannot fault service always very warm and genuinely caring. Good breakfast, fresh towels daily. For the price the facilities are excellent, would recommend!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We had booked a room in advance and the email correspondence was faultlessly polite and friendly, so we were horribly dismayed when we arrived at the hotel to be turned away!

While we were checking in, my companion requested if we could just have a look at the room. The proprietor seemed to take offense at the request, saying that if we did not actually want the room, then we should not have booked it, and furthermore there were many people on the "waiting list" who would gladly take it if we didn't. We were shocked at his reply, since we had not intended to offend, and it is a standard question that is commonly asked. We then said ok, we would take the room, but he turned us away and said it was no longer available!

Clearly they are so popular that they can afford to pick and choose their customers. If they did indeed have so many people on the waiting list, then he should not have a problem if we saw the room and, on the off-chance, did not want it -- unlikely, since we had just come off a 17hr flight and wanted to rest.

If you happen to book with them and experience the same treatment, don't fret. We were a little worried at first that we couldn't find accommodation as it was about 7pm, but the area is chock full of B&Bs, you'd be spoiled for choice. We found another place in the end, which turned out to 1) be nearer the tube station, 2) have wifi internet, and 3) have the friendliest and most helpful service staff we have met so far. I guess the unpleasant experience turned out to be a blessing in disguise afterall.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravelingGlutton
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I had booked this B&B based on its reviews on Tripadvisor and it turned out just perfect for me. Right from the booking process I knew I had made the right choice. The friendly voice and proactive attitude was a very helpful. I was always very well guided on the best modes of transportation - from Heathrow & within London too. Moreover, the hosts were always ready to help out with the hundreds of questions I had.

The room was on the 3rd floor and was big enough for a Solo Traveller with nice en-suite facilities. Every morning I was greeted with this lovely breeze flowing into my room as it would open right out to the streets. The breakfast included in the price was very good and if you got in before the rush you could also be entertained by Mr. Dwights' stories about the history of the Hotel.

The hotel is very close to the Paddington Station which is a big help. One can easily commute to central London as well as to Heathrow through the tube/ train station.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to stay in a good location for a good price. The only thing I would have preferred to have during my stay was access to internet... even if it was for an extra price.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I selected this bed and breakfast because the very good recommendations it got, and can just say that this bed and breakfast has - in my opinion - great value and excellent service. We had a room for two with en-suite facilities. The other bed was very large, the other what I would call standard single bed, we were easily able to sleep in the wider bed. The bathroom was very clean and looked somehow newer than the rest of the room. I am personally not a fan of fitted carpets, in my opinion they make every room look shabby, but it was clean.

The owner was very friendly and the breakfast was good for the price. I did not expect to get new towels every day but the room was well cleaned every day.

So, I can just recommend this bed and breakfast for everyone who wants to stay in good location surrounded by friendly athmosphere and do not pay much for it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple