“Great location but squeaky floor”

Citadines St Mark's-Islington London
Ranked #572 of 1,088 Hotels in London
“Great location but squeaky floor”
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 8 nites so got a good price for a 2-bedrm apartment. For the price, it was a steal given the location and the size of the apartment. The angel station was 2 bus stops away. You can take the buses, instead of the tubes, in front of the apartments to many places. We used the buses to send us to the nearest station instead ofc walking to the stations. The only thing that you probably need to get used to is the squeaky wooden floor which is constructed hollow, above the ground. It can be noisy in the still if the night when you get up to go to the loo. Also the banging doors which can simply be resolved by installing closers.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Stella Y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
northampton
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We are just back from our 5 night stay. Can't fault it. It probably is the cleanest place we have ever stayed in! Well done to the Housekeeper and to her staff. So comfortable and so roomy. Lovely to have white walls and not those trendy darks which mean you have to feel your way around! Home from home so I guess no greater compliment. Alba on reception was the tops. The kitchen was well equipped for the production of ready meals but it also had a full oven and hob if you wanted to be more ambitious and again everything was so clean. I guess waking up to the Shard in the distance was a bit of a wow. Yes, the floors really do squeak but we never heard a sound from any other apartment which was a bit strange as we had expected to. Yes there is road noise, The City Road is a busy road even if you are not directly facing it but the area is great. There are two good shops opposite for all your essentials and more. We travelled from Euston, a bus stops right outside, which I think would be the same for other major rail stations (route 205) and if you walk to The Angel, about 5 mins, you have the choice of many bus routes. All in all it was a fabulous stay, great apartment, the building itself had an ambiance, it had lovely staff and did I mention how clean it was! As a P.S. we never wore shoes in the apartment, as a courtesy to our lower floor neighbours. Perhaps our upper floor neighbours were doing the same - we shall never know. Thank you all for a memorable stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank skeggybaby
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Don’t get me wrong if you pay the right price this is an excellent choice. It has a few issues, as stated in the title, but for the right price (less than £120 a night) this is a top stay choice in London. We got the executive (2 bed 2 baths) apartment but you need to ask for the rear of the complex as the tube noise can be an issue. We were on the second floor front and could hear the tube rumble on a regular basis. The apartment was clean and tidy and there was a nice big lounge/diner to make up for the small bedrooms. That said you only sleep in them so who needs a big one (ooh err missus).
There's buses right outside and shops nearby for the essentials. The staff were friendly and the apartment well stocked with crockery, although some mugs, not cups, and bigger glasses would have been nice. The furniture was a little cheap and cheerful which let its upper end pretentions down a bit but it’s not my place so what do I know.
Would we stay there again, yes, would I recommend it to a friend, yes?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BazzaH
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We had a very pleasant nights stay at these apartments on 22.2.14. The apartment was very practical, clean and warm. It was a very pleasant surprise to find a bottle of wine and box of chocolates in the room - nice touch!! Not quite sure what we thought about the area especially if you walked to the right out of the building, but there was certainly more life near The Angel Underground Station. The gentleman on reception was extremely helpful towards, giving us directions, maps etc.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Gautam D, Manager at Citadines St Mark's-Islington London, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Citadines St Marks as your accommodation during your holiday in London. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our valuable residents are satisfied with our service. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Regards

Gautam
Taiyuan, China
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I'm kind of torn between 3- and 4-stars. The place isn't bad and can be a good value for a family visiting London. My own experience was a bit closer to average, though.

Starting with the drawbacks: the first issue I had with this hotel was finding the place, since I was driving and the signs are quite small. The neighborhood doesn't really offer much, and it is a good hike to restaurants. Even then, we didn't find much to get excited about. There are some brochures in the hotel for delivery, mostly Indian. It's not super close to the underground, but there is a bus stop right out front.

While the apartment was enormous, the bedrooms were small. One was tiny, and the other was almost entirely occupied by the king bed. I'd rather have had a smaller bed and some place to put things. Even the bathrooms were oddly lacking in counter space. Also, our room was on the underground level, which has large windows, but is certainly not as nice as being on a higher floor.

Finally, while the service was friendly, I had a bit of a problem with my room. People agreed it was a problem, but I felt like I had to do all of the work to keep after them to get it resolved. Ultimately, it was resolved, but I felt like they hoped they could get it past me in the first place, and that after I pointed it out that maybe I would just forget about it. It wasn't the biggest issue in the world, and was resolved satisfactorily, but it would have been nice for the staff to just take care of it. Only one person at the front desk also meant they were often busy.

Now for the good: it was very clean. The living space was huge with a kitchen and laundry facilities and a dishwasher (soap and detergent provided). While not cheap, this could be a great value for three or four people visiting London. The staff were quite nice. It is still fairly close to downtown London. Nearby, we enjoyed the Banana Tree-Islington restaurant south of the Angel underground stop.

Room Tip: It would be best to have a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank travellevret
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I recently visited London for the first time. Knowing I would be there for 9 days (mostly for business but with a long weekend on the end), and having a friend join me for part of the stay, I wanted to find a room that would have 2 beds, regardless of the size. (That is a bit of an oddity in London.) So, I searched for places accordingly. I read a few reviews prior to booking and decided it was worth a shot, albeit a mixed bag of reviews. My findings: It truly is a mixed bag.

This hotel is apartment style. Our apartment came with a good sized living room, full kitchen, 2 bedrooms (1 queen bed, 1 king) as well as two full baths (1 with a bathtub, the other with a shower). The apartment was incredibly clean, however, mattresses, bedding, pillows and towels were scratchy and not very comfortable. The pictures truly are staged - the apartments are no frills to say the least. But again, VERY clean. The showers were hot and the water pressure was great - which was a great treat at the end of a 15 hour day.

The Service was fantastic to say the least. My friend and I were given great directions to nearby attractions, ample help with luggage and anything we needed, and even received complimentary maid service twice during our stay (typically you have to ask for it as an extra service). There was a leak coming from the apartment above us one day, which was immediately handled. Our neighbors decided to throw a rather loud party on a week night rather late, and upon speaking with the front desk, the situation was promptly handled.

The hotel is an absolute maze. Think the movie "The Shining"... it is a labyrinth of hallways and corridors and elevators that don't necessarily go to the same place, and smells like a dorm. Speaking of the labyrinth, it's also a bit confusing to get into, as it is actually an old hospital. The parking lot is locked, and often my taxi driver had to call to be let into the lot. There is no nearby street parking. To enter the building by foot, you have to scan your door key at the gate, instead of at the door. A bit different from what I'm used to, but not a bad thing to feel safe.

There is no room service at this hotel. There is a 24 hour full grocery very close by, as well as cafes and restaurants within a short walk.

All-in-all, exactly what I was expecting from the reviews I had read. If I were traveling solely for business again, I would probably choose another hotel with a few more amenities, but for a group or multi-couple trip, this was a great find.

Room Tip: Early check in is not available. Red eye flyers be advised!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Lola F
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your time at Citadines St Marks. Yes we are a good option for families in London with spacious rooms and very central location. Once again thank you for posting about your time with us.

Regards

Gautam
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here in Sept 2013 , and we had an amazing 10-day stay. The location was extremely convenient because there are bus stops within steps from the hotel, and Angel station is also less than 10 mins walk. They don't serve breakfast nor do they clean your room everyday but that didn't matter. There are many restaurant options in Angel that you won't even notice. The apartment that we stayed in had a small fully equipped kitchen and a washing machine/dryer. It also had a living room, a small dining area, 1 bdroom w/ en suite bath, and a half bath in the. Definitely spacious. We were able to buy food from the grocery near Angel and stored it in the fridge, which was convenient. This place is clean and and the rooms are immaculate. If you're looking to feel at home but still feel like you're on vacation, and you want to be in center of London, this is the place to be. We will be staying here again for sure. Thank you St. Mark's!

Room Tip: Getting a 1 bedroom rather than the studio is definitely more comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lex y
Gautam D, General Manager at Citadines St Mark's-Islington London, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Lex Y

Thank you for the wonderful posting! I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Best Wishes,