“Delicious”

Spice Monkey Cookery School
Ranked #12 of 166 Classes & Workshops in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Spice Monkey is a cookery school that will show you how to make great tasting Indian home cooking. All our courses are hands on and you'll learn how to mix spices, create pastes and build flavour into your dishes. We have courses for vegetarian and non-vegetarians, fans of Street Food, bread + pickles, and fish. Set in a homely environment, we place our emphasis on learning through enjoyment.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Nikita came to my house to give me an afternoon's curry cooking lesson - a birthday present from my wife and friends who ate the food in the evening!

I'm a novice in the kitchen, but Nikita pitched it perfectly.He's incredibly knowledgeable, in a friendly open sharing way. There was a lot to take in during the afternoon but it's well worth it, both for the food we cooked and the information that stays with me forever. It really is a superb way to get a solid grounding in indian cookery.

We cooked a starter, two mains, sides, two rice and a dessert. Tiring stuff, but well well worth it!

I would THOROUGHLY recommend Spice Monkey.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We went to the beginners course last week, and had a great time. We began with a discussion of different spices, Nikita is extremely knowledgeable and taught us a lot about the different spices and their origins and uses. We were then treated to a lovely lunch, prepared by Mrs G. After lunch we prepared 5 dishes, a chicken curry, two vegetable dishes, a rice and a dessert. Nikita also showed us how to butcher a whole chicken. There were 5 people on the course so we all got plenty of hands on experience of cooking the dishes. Nikita was extremely friendly and informative throughout, an excellent host! After the course, I now feel much more confident making Indian food and experimenting with spices. I'd thoroughly recommend this course to anyone looking for a great introduction to Indian cooking

Reviewed 5 June 2014

A friend and I did the Veggie Heaven course together on a Saturday and had a great time. We learned a lot about spices, how to combine them with different results and got to taste and prepare different dishes throughout the day. There were six participants so we had plenty of space and time to 'have a go'. Nik and his mother Mrs G were great trainers - relaxed, and clearly passionate about the food they make. The course really boosted my confidence in mixing spices to make really tasty and authentic dishes. The highlight for me was sitting down at the end of the day to eat some of the dishes we'd prepared as a group in Nik's delightful dining room.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have just spent a very enjoyable day on the Advanced course, and thoroughly recommend it. It is run in a very relaxed, chatty way, but at the same time Nikita imparts a great deal of knowledge on ingredients, techniques etc as well as some of the background to influences on the cuisine. The time went very quickly and the day was a lot of fun

We made a number of different dishes which complemented each other nicely, along with chapatis to accompany them (under the expert guidance of Mrs G). I have enjoyed cooking Indian food for some time, but this course gave me some interesting new ideas on dishes and flavours to try out, and in a way that made them very easy to prepare. I look forward to trying them out.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband bought me a voucher for a veggie heaven course after I decided I wanted to learn how to cook Indian properly. The course was exactly what I was looking for and just the right mix of theory and practice. We made an amazing five dishes through the day, which flew by and enjoyed a lovely meal in the garden at the end to sample our creations. The food we made was genuinely fantastic and I can't wait to try it out again. Nikita and Mrs G were fantastic tutors and hosts and made the day really fun as well as informative and entertaining. Mrs G's lunch was not to be missed (make sure you try her amazing tea!). Highly recommended!