“Great value”

The Hoxton, Shoreditch
Ranked #101 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 August 2011

This was our third stay at the Hoxton, and have already booked a future visit. The rooms are not enormous, but have everything you need, are modern and comfortable, and the bed and bathroom are great. The staff are super friendly and extremely professional, the breakfast bag is great (particularly if you want to sleep through the morning), and the grill/restaurant is superb. The area, also, is fantastic - interesting and eclectic mix of shops and restaurants, away from the tourist throngs.

Only one minor quibble... each time I have stayed I have called reception to ask for the cost per minute of making a call to Brazil, each time the person has said they would have to check and call back, but the call never came!!

The hotel is amazing value for London.

Reviewed 5 August 2011

Arrived early Saturday afternoon and check in was trouble free. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. A valuable little item is their Hox guide (free) which is a fold out map detailing the surrounding area covering points of interest, shops and pubs etc. The guide folds down to credit card size so easily slips into your pocket. Plenty of attractions on the guide that has something for everyone. We particularly liked the pubs. Had dinner at the Hoxton Grill which was a great way to end the day. All in all a great 24 hr getaway, staff were helpful and very friendly, some nice free services such as internet and newspapers, not to mention free overseas calls to selected countries. We'll be staying there again even though we live in London.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Really disappointed. This was my fourth stay at The Hoxton Hotel since 2008. Seems to have gone down a few levels in customer service?

1. The first room had a wet blanket on the bed. Got a new room.

2. The second room's air conditioner sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

3. The morning wake-up calls were a little glitchy. When I notified reception, I was told that it was my fault for not following directions. Totally disagree. All I was doing was answering the phone. If I wanted to snooze more, I was asked to press a button. I didn't want to snooze, so no button was pressed. Evidently, this means that the phone will ring every minute thereafter? This happened three days in a row.

4. There was a blood stain, or a stain that looked like dried blood, on the comforter/blanket.

5. The food room service was good, but there was a shard of glass in the spinach.

6. The promo card for car service states that the cost to Heathrow airport is 55 or 59GBP, however when you call the phone number a. you get charged for the call (even though the hotel was promoting free calls) and the new price is quoted as 65 or 69GBP or so. The excuse was that the promo card was five years old. This was told from the person on the phone and from reception, as well. As if, it's not their fault if the price is higher now than what is stated on the card. But they're not going to change the card. That's illegal in the U.S. Guess it's okay to scam customers in the UK?

7. There was more, but can't recall right now.

On the plus side:
1. The bar was good. The bartenders were attentive.
2. Some of the front desk people were nice.
3. The overall response on my feedback was positive. They were kind and asked me to return in the future. Not sure if I will risk it. The discomforts made it difficult for a restful sleep.

You have been warned !

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank pinkyblue
TimothyGriffin, Operations Manger at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2011

Hi Linda,

I am so glad we were able to correspond via email and to have the opportunity to invite you back to the Hoxton next time you are in London. We want to ensure that every experience at the Hox is as positive as the last, and thank you for giving us the chance to make your next stay really special.

I am delighted you have enjoyed Maurizio's service on your last and other visits, and both he and I are very much looking forward to welcoming you back, we hope, very soon.

With best wishes,

Timothy

Reviewed 3 August 2011

We had a nice stay at the Hoxton. It's a hip hotel, in an up and coming neighbourhood, providing many amenities on a complimentary basis, for which in most 4 star properties you pay for. The rooms might be a bit small, but have everything that is needed and are very clean. The staff at reception were efficient, and the hotel has a vibrant atmosphere in its common area, something lacking in most properties.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank greece4ever
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Right in the center of Londons new hipster area is a hotel that tops all my past London experiences. Fantastic service and cleanliness. Free internet access through the TV and avaliable Macs in the lobby. Nice lighting in the rooms, and even nicer bathrooms.

1  Thank cornkid
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I managed to get a room at The Hoxton during their £1 Sale. I had looked on the website but I didn't expect much, due to the cheap nature of the offer... how wrong was I! The staff were so helpful and friendly as soon as I arrived! The room was lovely! It was clean and tidy with lovely decor and facilities in the room. The bed was one of the comfiest I've ever slept in! The bathroom was lovely, with a large power rain shower and large cubicle (with mirrors that don't steam up!!) Everything about this hotel was a delight and I would have been more than happy to pay full price for it! The free breakfast in the morning was just an extra bonus that made my stay in this hotel even more enjoyable! I would definitely recommend this hotel to other people!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The location was ideal for us as we wanted to be near the nightlife and good restaurants. We arrived on a Friday night and there was considerable noise from the outside terrace so we asked for a quieter room. Reception were very obliging and accommodated us immediately. Overall a very nice stay. We'll definately be back!